IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

6 hours ago, Rowsdower70 said:

The gaming industry changed.  The Commodore 64 was released in 1982, Atari computer sales started in 1979 but started picking up steam in the early 80s, Apple IIs were starting to show up more and more.
At least for me and all my gaming friends, we didn't stop playing games but we did start playing them on home computers. 
NES came along and proved a game console could still entertain the masses with a smaller investment. 

Demand for games may have been there but the industry was decimated.  Hundreds of game developer jobs were lost in 1983/84 between Atari and Mattel alone, plus Activision and Imagic at a smaller scale.  It took years for those jobs to come back. 

The Commodore 64 may have been the best selling games machine in the mid 1980s (outside of Japan) but videogame software sales were a fraction of what they should have been due to rampant piracy.  What sales there was were counted as computer software and hardware sales making the decline of video game market appear worse than it was.

23 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I don't want to pick on him or anyone else, but he's weirdly not alone. I don't get the worship for the guy (even if Amico didn't happen). And it's certainly not like he availed himself well publicly even before the Amico thing crashed and burned, so that's even less of a reason to continue to try and elevate the guy. He's not worth it and never was.

This thread has a weird obsession with the same individual.

The Crash was a total non-event in the UK. Hardly anyone bought consoles and most of us used computers. The Commodore 64 was fairly popular but the Sinclair Spectrum even more so, and the Amstrad CPC was in a pretty comfortable third place for the latter half of the decade.

Even when the NES arrived, in 1987, it was pretty much ignored. We had to wait until the MegaDrive for consoles to really take off here.

6 hours ago, mr_me said:

Demand for games may have been there but the industry was decimated.  Hundreds of game developer jobs were lost in 1983/84 between Atari and Mattel alone, plus Activision and Imagic at a smaller scale.  It took years for those jobs to come back. 

The Commodore 64 may have been the best selling games machine in the mid 1980s (outside of Japan) but videogame software sales were a fraction of what they should have been due to rampant piracy.  What sales there was were counted as computer software and hardware sales making the decline of video game market appear worse than it was.

^  I daresay,  mr_me is right.

6 hours ago, mr_me said:

Yes,  but we're not here to elevate the guy.  We're here to call him out for being a lying, stealing, sack of crap.  And rightfully so.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Yes,  but we're not here to elevate the guy.  We're here to call him out for being a lying, stealing, sack of crap.  And rightfully so.

At least it isn't like we created a hater folder on our desktop to store personal information about everyone who has a differing opinion.

I mean what type of person would do that?

tumblr_0a674fb4f786818900f8652419f0fc0c_c643a962_1280.thumb.jpg.436b1f74d1b0443ac05a45e597f1ceb6.jpg

Also Super Mario Bros on BluRay is just as good as it was in the theater. Fun watching Jr. use his Lego Mario sets to follow along with parts of the movie.

You know, I'm starting to think that Amico might not disrupt gaming or tap into that family market like we were told. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I just don't think it's going to quite reach the level of sales as the Switch. I mean it will still be a tight race of course. That 600 years of gaming experience wasn't wasted after all. So they will still give it a good run. 

• Haha 8

12 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Well my amicos I don't have time to crap post today. 

Well that's disappointing.  I figured you had a lot of crap posts already pre-written and ready to go for situations like that.  Kinda like people who meal prep.

You need to learn to be a super sleeper.  I've heard that helps find time to do everything PLUS write a million long posts.

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Well that's disappointing.  I figured you had a lot of crap posts already pre-written and ready to go for situations like that.  Kinda like people who meal prep.

You need to learn to be a super sleeper.  I've heard that helps find time to do everything PLUS write a million long posts.

Oh I'm similar to a super sleeper but I have a different term for it, fatherhood.

Plus, I think we have learned that super sleepers say they work a lot, but actually get nothing accomplished. Lack of sleep can really hinder mental functions.

I'm proof as I've already produced an Amico today. Tommy said he was going to hold his two Amicos until I said something nice about it. Someone might want to give him some prunes or fiber supplements.

Amico_Metamucil_Edition.thumb.png.da821076662b77b893c828d9843dacfd.png

• Haha 8

29 minutes ago, rayik said:

How in the world would anyone making a family friendly video game console approve of their "insiders" putting stuff like this out on the internet?  

Because Tommy and company had no idea what they were doing. Tommy encouraged his Amicolytes to attack others. It was coordinated and quite sad.

Also here's some good listening. Be warned they are the Coleco Chameleon of Podcasters. Whatever that means.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, rayik said:

How in the world would anyone making a family friendly video game console approve of their "insiders" putting stuff like this out on the internet?

At least Saggy looks calm and collected for once. Oh wait, that's a picture. Also it's labeled "The RetroBro" for some reason. 🤨

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 3:40 PM, mr_me said:

That individual has the most reputation points of anyone on this forum, and earned it in a relatively short period of time, even if the posts aren’t visible anymore. Are you suggesting he’s NOT a “veritable industry legend” and kind of a big deal? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

On 6/7/2023 at 5:04 PM, Creamhoven said:

Everyone needs to read Faust.

For most people, I think reading the Wikipedia summary will suffice. In my case, I was in a college production of “Damn Yankees” so I guess you could say I lived it. 

In that story, an old man makes a deal with the devil so his baseball team can beat the titular Yankees (Tommy Tallarico’s favorite team!) … only he has second thoughts about it because he misses his wife. So the devil has to send in his seductress enforcer, Lola, to turn our hero around. 

In the Amico saga, who is the devil, who is Lola, and who is Joe Hardy?

43 minutes ago, Spriggy said:

But @Flojomojo deserves it on time, merit, relivancey, content and clearly clever harmless memes that mean something to the community ....  and yes I'm back. @GoldLeader Sorry @CPUWIZ

Hey man! Nice to see you back. It’s been quiet without you. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wayler said:

It would be interesting to see a graph on those reputation points. Might we see all the shilldren at the top spots of point givers? 

That would indeed be interesting. I think you’d need admin tools to get the info though.  

Not to pick on this guy, but there were quite a few “enthusiasts” who only posted in that one thread, so when it got whacked, all their posts vanished, despite large post counts. This guy was the admin for r/Amico for example https://forums.atariage.com/profile/68878-grudgeq/

1,462 posts, but no post history. 

• Like 3

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with said person or organization. Shills can carry out their operations in the areas of media, journalism, marketing, politics, sports, confidence games, cryptocurrency, or other business areas. A shill may also act to discredit opponents or critics of the person or organization in which they have a vested interest.

In most uses, shill refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers, participants or "marks" the impression of an enthusiastic customer independent of the seller, marketer or con artist, for whom they are secretly working. The person or group in league with the shill relies on crowd psychology to encourage other onlookers or audience members to do business with the seller or accept the ideas they are promoting. Shills may be employed by salespeople and professional marketing campaigns. Plant and stooge more commonly refer to a person who is secretly in league with another person or outside organization while pretending to be neutral or part of the organization in which they are planted, such as a magician's audience, a political party, or an intelligence organization (see double agent).

Shilling is illegal in many circumstances and under many jurisdictions because of the potential for fraud and damage. However, if a shill does not place uninformed parties at a risk of loss, the shill's actions may be legal. For example, a person planted in an audience to laugh and applaud when desired (see claque), or to participate in on-stage activities as a "random member of the audience", is a legal type of shill.

(Just getting this in preemptively)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

For most people, I think reading the Wikipedia summary will suffice. In my case, I was in a college production of “Damn Yankees” so I guess you could say I lived it. 

In that story, an old man makes a deal with the devil so his baseball team can beat the titular Yankees (Tommy Tallarico’s favorite team!) … only he has second thoughts about it because he misses his wife. So the devil has to send in his seductress enforcer, Lola, to turn our hero around. 

In the Amico saga, who is the devil, who is Lola, and who is Joe Hardy?

The old man was Keith Robinson. He didn't so much sell his soul as the Intellivision IP, but what's happened to it since bears comparison with eternal damnation.

• Like 1

It's worth noting, despite being Hbomberguy's most recently uploaded video, it has become his 6th most watched video so far out of all 68 videos that he has currently uploaded to his YouTube channel.

And it's worth mentioning too, since that video was made, the number of games that @Tommy Tallarico has worked on has climbed from over 350 to now over 400 currently! (Believe it or not!) I wouldn't be surprised if he has gotten yet another updated framed record from Guiness to reflect that new number, which would make that a grand total of EIGHT Guiness World Records so far! He has also made yet another appearance on MTV Cribs again as well! Which means he has made a total of three appearance so far on the show, or it might actually be four appearances so far! (It's super easy to lose track of!)

His mother is very proud! 😜

steamboatwillytroll.gif.2d03bc1584cb00ae4779887e6439c16c.gif

Edited by Pink
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 6/10/2023 at 7:17 AM, Spriggy said:

But @Flojomojo deserves it on time, merit, relivancey, content and clearly clever harmless memes that mean something to the community ....  and yes I'm back. @GoldLeader Sorry @CPUWIZ

Spriggy!

Good to have you back!  You Son of a Biscuit!  Where you been?

• Like 2