IGNORED

What games from the Jaguar/Jag CD retail box do you most wish had made it to production?

Rick Dangerous

Been a crazy couple of months folks...made a big move, about 1100 miles.  At any rate, i was looking at my Jaguar boxes while unpacking and thinking about this question.  For me its:

Jaguar Box:

-Tiny Toon adventures I guess (Just noticed for the first time that they have this and Alien Vs Predator TWICE)

Jaguar CD Box:

-Jack Nickluas' Cyber Golf--Love a good golf game and this one looked really promising, especially since it was being programmed by the same guys who did Awesome golf on the Lynx which rocked.  PGA Tour 96' on the 3DO was epic, and i think this could have been a good contender to go up against it. 

-Black Ice White Noise--Can you imagine if this game had come to full fruition back then--a full sandbox game in the mid 90s?  If it had been released it might have really made some waves. 

What are your "wish that had made it" games from the production boxes? 

• Thanks 1

9AB16A63-95BE-4FC1-B7C6-6E77FB6EA974.thumb.jpeg.5dcefe5726b2ffeb557130a5bcba5078.jpeg

Only games from the system boxes you say? Going to be a really short list. ha

Anyway, really looked forward to Battlewheels BITD. And the version of Checkered Flag shown even looked better than what we got. 

CD wise to me, golf wouldn't have been too exciting BITD... but considering the library of released and unreleased games advertised, would have been a welcome addition for sure.

Personally, I was looking forward to a kick ass 64-bit version of Hardball! (which was announced) myself. ? ?

• Like 2

Unless I'm mistaken, the unreleased Jag CD box games are Black Ice, Jack Nicklaus, Demolition Man, and Creature Shock. Of the bunch, I'd pick Black Ice. 

On the Jag side, if we extend beyond the box, I would have loved to have Graham Gooch World Class Cricket. It's too bad this port never happened. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RollOut said:

...I would have loved to have Graham Gooch World Class Cricket. It's too bad this port never happened. 

Thought that was such an odd (but telling) choice for Atari... an American company that particularly boasted "American Made" at the time, but had it been released... would have totally embraced it and bothered to learn the sport. Being a big baseball fan, I too am disappointed it didn't see the light of day.

25 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Thought that was such an odd (but telling) choice for Atari... an American company that particularly boasted "American Made" at the time, but had it been released... would have totally embraced it and bothered to learn the sport. Being a big baseball fan, I too am disappointed it didn't see the light of day.

Same here. I'm an American, so I didn't grow up with cricket (I'm also a baseball fan). A few years ago I stumbled across a PAL copy of International Cricket for my NES (an Australian game). My brother and I taught ourselves the rules by playing that game, and it's really a lot of fun. There aren't too many cricket games out there from that time period, so when I found out we just missed out on one for the Jag, I was interested/ disappointed.

• Like 1

Black Ice White Noise would have been interesting to see in a more completed state, but I have soft spot for creature shock even though it saw releases on other platforms.  I can't put my finger on it, it just seemed like that game belonged on the Jag.

• Like 2

I stared at the back of those boxes (Jag and Jag CD) far longer than I should've. For me, it's an easy answer with Black Ice White Noise.

BI2.thumb.jpg.43d3060360ebccbd3e781c3e6bf75648.jpg BI1.thumb.jpg.3ef2aa34d8956f7f7ef0d52f21960405.jpg

bi3.thumb.jpg.595251a71e9d35334a6fc962039e7d8b.jpg bi4.thumb.jpg.3208860e02bffd04523102d2ef4dfa52.jpg

Like everything Atari Jaguar, I got a little obsessed with the game, its mystique, etc.

bi5.gif.85c0f90111ffbb555518802555ede3cf.gif

Oh, what could've been. Arena Football, an actual complete retail release would have been nice.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, firestorm18 said:

Dactyl joust seems like it could have been fun

It looks like a great technical achievement but I have doubts how well the game itself would have been. 

I can't see the basic mechanics for Joust working out too hot in a 3D form.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JagChris said:

It looks like a great technical achievement but I have doubts how well the game itself would have been. 

I can't see the basic mechanics for Joust working out too hot in a 3D form.

How did Hasbro not make a shovelware title in the late 90s for the PS1 titled Joust 3D? Just a vehicle-based combat game (e.g. Twisted Metal, Vigilante 8, Destruction Derby) where the "vehicles" are ostriches, and the "combatants" are riders. After seeing that short clip of Dactyl (not on the Jaguar boxes btw), this concept seems almost possible on the Jaguar. The Jag would need to limit players to two at a time, for several hardware-related reasons. Obstacles appear gradually in the "arena" in order to keep things from being a non-stop chase / stalemate in an open 3D arena.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 4:36 AM, Major Havoc 2049 said:

I would have loved some Jag-Link Battlehwheels. 

Black Ice White Noise for the Jag CD. 

Yes this, although back then I was also looking forward to creature shock. But for the single player I imagined black ice to be mind-blowing for the time. And a multiplayer Battlewheels would have been fun for Jagfests.

• Like 1