IGNORED

24 Hours of Auto Racing Le Mans?

I have the movie "Ford vs Ferrari" playing in the background. 

Then it occurred to me, I wonder if it would be fun to have a couple of minor tweaks to Auto Racing, in the same vein as Astrosmash being tweaked for competition.

1. Allow a variable number of laps (or hardcoded to something extreme like 255).
  2. Allow an extended timer to account for the number of laps.
  3. After a given amount of time, shift the color palette to mimic "night", then back to day after equivalent amount of time.

Then we could race like it's Le Mans 24 hours. :)

What do you think?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, First Spear said:

Then it occurred to me, I wonder if it would be fun to have a couple of minor tweaks to Auto Racing, in the same vein as Astrosmash being tweaked for competition.

1. Allow a variable number of laps (or hardcoded to something extreme like 255).
  3. After a given amount of time, shift the color palette to mimic "night", then back to day after equivalent amount of time.

What do you think?

I think its a good idea, but some major graphic upgrades will need to be done to make it bankable. But there are plenty of good programmers out there that can make it happen.

8 minutes ago, Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog said:

I think its a good idea, but some major graphic upgrades will need to be done to make it bankable. But there are plenty of good programmers out there that can make it happen.

In other words, give Dave like 2 weeks. :)

• Haha 1

Le Mans: Super Pro Auto Racing

I Like it!   Been asking for SP Auto Racing for years!  How About just starting the game on 1 controller!

Actually,  Now I need to play some Enduro!   1 of a handful of games that has held up on the VCS.

Another idea, STRING the courses together...  When you finish the 5 laps, proceed to the next track.  Combined time.  Maybe 3 laps?  or Lap select?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, First Spear said:

What do you think?

Play course four.  That one already feels like it goes on forever.

• Haha 2

I say, someone should hack the ROM for auto-play and run a marathon race of 24 Hour Le Mans, recording it from the emulator, and post the results.

Somewhat like the Intellivision Baseball League, but with cars. :)

dZ.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mr_me said:

If you use the no collision hack, the car will probably circle the Auto Racing world indefinitely.  Even without the hack, isn't there a path where it can drive a straight line without hitting obstacles?

The Intellivision will PAUSE after 5 minutes of no user input.

My Dad was worried about BURN IN, so they did this just for him!  ;) 

20 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

I say, someone should hack the ROM for auto-play and run a marathon race of 24 Hour Le Mans, recording it from the emulator, and post the results.

Somewhat like the Intellivision Baseball League, but with cars. :)

dZ.

Adding an AI car?  Hmm, Great!  But I think Motocross MAY do this already?  Been to long,  need to play that now!  

2 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

Adding an AI car?  Hmm, Great!  But I think Motocross MAY do this already?  Been to long,  need to play that now!  

That’s fine, but they don’t run motorcycles in Le Mans. ;)

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

That’s fine, but they don’t run motorcycles in Le Mans. ;)

dZ.

Le Mans is pretty open and races in classes.   Could you imagine racing a high performance motorcycle for 24 hours!  OUCH!

Anyway,  I prefer Auto Racing to Motocross.  However, I love Motocross.  I like the options for steering and direction as well as creating courses.

I also like the head to head method of CLOCK count instead of the "AHEAD" of auto racing.

Auto Racing was one of my very first games and you could actually play 1 player!  LOL

Another reason I loved Space Battle and a little later Astrosmash.   But My brother an I played HOURS and HOURS of all of the sports games and loved every minute of it!

Would love to see an enhanced Auto Racing for certain! 

Maybe a 60Hz version.  I think that runs on the Exec 20Hz or something along those lines.  Not only could we get faster cars, we could have smoother scrolling.

I didn't notice / remember the jittering so much at 10.  But I certainly see it now.  Yet I still love this game 42 years later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

Found the unobstructed path.  From course one, on the starting road, drive on the grass just off the south edge of the road and it will circle the Auto Racing world.  Press a button every few minutes to avoid the game pausing.

You can find a few unobstructed paths!  However, some will always work and others will work some of the time based on a few random trees.

You can even find shortcuts etc.  

Edited by 1980gamer
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 2:42 PM, mr_me said:

If you use the no collision hack, the car will probably circle the Auto Racing world indefinitely.  Even without the hack, isn't there a path where it can drive a straight line without hitting obstacles?

There are four paths in total.  For each path, position your car so it's just off the road to the south.

One of those paths is at the very beginning of Track 4, before the road turns.  The other three are anywhere Track 1 is going east or west.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 2:46 PM, 1980gamer said:

The Intellivision will PAUSE after 5 minutes of no user input.

My Dad was worried about BURN IN, so they did this just for him!  ;) 

I think for Le Mans edition of Auto Racing, the screen timeout 1+9/3+7 would have to be disabled. No sleep!

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2022 at 1:50 PM, cmart604 said:

Awesome! This was right at the top of my list for wishes for upgrades along with Utopia. Excellent news. 👍🏻

Sorry but the work I did on Utopia is at a full stop. I do not see me returning to it any time. I just hope to make worth updates to Auto Racing. This is going to be tough.

• Like 3