IGNORED

24 Hours of Auto Racing Le Mans?

8 minutes ago, intvdave said:

Sorry but the work I did on Utopia is at a full stop. I do not see me returning to it any time. I just hope to make worth updates to Auto Racing. This is going to be tough.

No worries about Utopia, if it happens one day great, if not no big deal. I'm looking forward to SP Auto Racing. I like racing games in general, I just wish I was better at them. 

• Haha 1

Whatever you can do to speedup Auto Racing would be wonderful!  Also, starting a game from 1 controller would be nice.

Maybe you select 1 or 2 players in the menu etc.

Or leave the selections the same, but hold the enter key longer or maybe press it 3 times in succession etc.

I know you are big on adding options, 

So I am guessing

# of players

# of lap

Direction   ( if the checkpoints are easy to figure out)

Hopefully some added goodies.

Faster Cars

Oils Spills or other road hazards to avoid randomly.  Maybe only on straight section :)

For fun, a super pro car.  Fast Acceleration, Good Handling and fastest top speed!

Back to the Le Mans mode for a sec.  Of course with lap option it could be 99 laps or maybe 255? Whatever the storage/data type can handle? 

I would think you could do close to 99 laps per hour on track 1 if you did not make big mistakes and had the ENDURANCE!

I am hoping you have some ideas also! 

Hmm, maybe a new GLOBE of courses?

Thank you for bringing new life to classic games!

• Like 3

On 7/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, First Spear said:

1. Allow a variable number of laps (or hardcoded to something extreme like 255).
  2. Allow an extended timer to account for the number of laps.
  3. After a given amount of time, shift the color palette to mimic "night", then back to day after equivalent amount of time.

#1 is done as is @1980gamer request for being able to start the game with one controller. Now, off to the hard stuff.. updating the map.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, intvdave said:

Updating the characteristics of the cars. Need to make one super fast and responsive!

I have all the map data. Just need to design a new map or are the current tracks good enough?

I suspect I speak for a lot of people when I say yes please to more tracks. 👍🏻

3 hours ago, cmart604 said:

I suspect I speak for a lot of people when I say yes please to more tracks. 👍🏻

Depends how you define "a lot". Boxing, surprisingly, did well but most other titles do not. Most people out here are collectors and not players/gamers.

The original request of this thread was to allow for longer games. I have added support to be able to race 999 laps (one player) or 999 points (2 players). The clock will last up to 45 days for a race.

Attributes of each car has been updated. There are a few other subtle changes that players will figure out on their own.

I am not looking to sell this title. The changes I have made will "enhance" the game enough for anyone that wants to play it. Sorry... no new tracks. It would just be to much work. I have other games I want to work on.

• Like 1

If I can add some suggestions to make this game a little better, hope the easy way... Keep the original tracks. The only one that never made sense was Track 5. 

1. Night driving mode. Just a set of moving headlights.

2. Road obstacles 

3. Visible timer in a corner.  Adds a "beat the clock" level of pressure on the driver.

4. A "beat the clock" countdown mode.  Set a time and try to beat it.  As a race or a lap time.

5. More car colors, or cars that have more than 1 color. Maybe ditch the black shadow and use black to color the wheels?

6. A Turbo boost button?  Might to hard to implement.

Edited by IMBerzerk

A fixed screen clock would be tough with multidirectional scrolling.  A scrolling clock, along with lap number, at each check point would have been doable.  I would also have liked it to store lap times for display at the end, and computer controlled cars to race against.

Edit:

Actually a fixed screen clock is doable, for a single player game, by using the the second car sprites for the clock.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, mr_me said:

A fixed screen clock would be tough with multidirectional scrolling.  A scrolling clock, along with lap number, at each check point would have been doable.  I would also have liked it to store lap times for display at the end, and computer controlled cars to race against.

Edit:

Actually a fixed screen clock is doable, for a single player game, by using the the second car sprites for the clock.

I think that option alone adds a lot to the game.  Nothing better than being timed, or beating a timer for best lap time...and seeing it.  That's what racing is all about. 

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions but I am done with updating the game. The original requests have been completed.

shot0061.gif.5efc96f0dce52d186ead87d6ce1ce97f.gif

For those that like high score, I added text to the finish screen.

shot0001.gif.0812413dcd167aa6065e15d05a24f6bf.gif

You can get the game at: http://intellivision.us/roms.php under the free section. I hope someone enjoys it. Normally, I would ask for feedback but this was done just to entertain the original post. Even though I owned this as a kid, I never planned on working on Auto Racing. I am off to other projects.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 8/28/2022 at 12:27 AM, intvdave said:

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions but I am done with updating the game. The original requests have been completed.

shot0061.gif.5efc96f0dce52d186ead87d6ce1ce97f.gif

For those that like high score, I added text to the finish screen.

shot0001.gif.0812413dcd167aa6065e15d05a24f6bf.gif

You can get the game at: http://intellivision.us/roms.php under the free section. I hope someone enjoys it. Normally, I would ask for feedback but this was done just to entertain the original post. Even though I owned this as a kid, I never planned on working on Auto Racing. I am off to other projects.

Thanks for the editing of the game! I had a chance to try it, the features you set are great. Now it's time for some endurance running...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Getting some miles in. Pun intended.
i’m not asking for anyone to “do something “, but I wonder what the control mechanic could be to give a car, maybe only in one player mode, a manual transmission. Of course the keypad/disc control issue is well documented, but it’s almost 2024 and I’m sure the creative thinkers could think creatively about what might work.

2 hours ago, First Spear said:

Getting some miles in. Pun intended.
i’m not asking for anyone to “do something “, but I wonder what the control mechanic could be to give a car, maybe only in one player mode, a manual transmission. Of course the keypad/disc control issue is well documented, but it’s almost 2024 and I’m sure the creative thinkers could think creatively about what might work.

The top side button could upshift.  The bottom side button can automatically downshift while braking, a bit similar to SMB.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mr_me said:

The top side button could upshift.  The bottom side button can automatically downshift while braking, a bit similar to SMB.

In a non-Intellivision car, a person could shift from 5th to 1st if they wanted to (with all kinds of risks) for special cases. Maybe the rightmost and/or leftmost keypad buttons to declare the gear?

18 hours ago, First Spear said:

In a non-Intellivision car, a person could shift from 5th to 1st if they wanted to (with all kinds of risks) for special cases. Maybe the rightmost and/or leftmost keypad buttons to declare the gear?

I don't think it would be necessary to simulate that.  I think that up- or down-shifting in order is sufficient.

Personally, I would avoid using the keypad on action games as much as possible, and leave them for actual data entry or selection which is not on a critical path of timely decisions.

dZ.

• Like 1

Something even crossed my mind that it would be "interesting" (kidding not kidding) to hold the Intellivision controller sideways, slightly resembling the NES controller hold, and then use the keypad buttons to do things like braking or shifting. Maybe get a rasping file to remove some of the controller bumps. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

If the side buttons were used for shifting gears up and down and RPMs had to be watched, it would add a new dimension to managing the racing. eg the white car instead of being the slowest would have the be worst shifting range and top speed and have least chance of blowing the engine, but the faster cars would give the benefit sound of straight cut gears on the extended track parts!

(no I can’t turn my brain off sometimes)