IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 17 - Game 5 - BurgerTime

13 minutes ago, IntellivisionMaster said:

I do admit, now that I’m better, it’s “playable”. And the second screen is more fun combined with the feeling that you succeeded in pushing up a level. It’s satisfying! I went from “I would never play this game” to “ok it’s not that bad”. I just think for the Intellivision, a much better version of pinball could have been made! 

It might not be a great Intellivision game, but it's pretty good for a video pinball game.. for me, at least, it's actually fun to play, which is saying a lot for video pinball..

Compared to what Atari had it's a masterpiece.. I mean it you have a separate button for each side of the flippers!  Brilliant! ..  :)
I don't think the Atari ones even had more than 1 screen either.. NES pinball is slow awkward to me and feels like you can't see enough at once and just not fun

• Like 4

Crade; I had the NES pinball! I don’t remember anything about it… except that I remember it was awful. 

Definitely! 2 flippers is a great “feature” if others don’t have that! I tried the double-flipper button on the intel… you lose the ball too often! 

Ok! You guys convinced me. I’m upgrading my opinion to “not bad”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rickster8 said:

The game isn't great, especially the first screen is pretty boring, but the 2nd and 3rd screens are pretty cool, with some hidden stuff. Problem is it's VERY TOUGH to stay on those later screens.... There's alot to fix on this game (Pinball), but to me it's still kinda fun.... I said 'kinda' lol

1 hour ago, IntellivisionMaster said:

I do admit, now that I’m better, it’s “playable”. And the second screen is more fun combined with the feeling that you succeeded in pushing up a level. It’s satisfying! I went from “I would never play this game” to “ok it’s not that bad”. I just think for the Intellivision, a much better version of pinball could have been made! 

It's fun to be talking about this game.  I think a good hack for INTV pinball would be to simply put the plunger on the 3rd screen.  Let the player start at the top and fall down every ball.  This would give you more exposure to the full game and up the fun a bit.  It also fits with the 3 screen pinball games that came after it like Revenge of the Gator, Kirby's pinball and a bunch of other ones.

1 hour ago, Northcoastgamer said:

I found it to be a decent pinball game once I figured things out. I would say that Flipper Slipper and Sega Flipper(which we played this season) for the Colecovision are not as good as INTV pinball. I think that David's Midnight Magic for the VCS and computers is one of the best, if not the best Pinball game for the retro video game era.

I agree with you here.  David's Midnight Magic is very good, but I don't think it made it to the VCS/2600 did it? (just the computers).  The screen is a bit squished and small in that one, and I feel like the INTV game embraced the video-gameness a bit more, so I tend to give it the edge.  One game from the same generation that I have never played is Bumper Bash.  I may give that a try now . . .

• Like 2

I’m not a huge pinball fan but I found INTV pinball frustrating. It seemed to me because of the 4:3 aspect ratio the ceiling was too low so my ball didn’t have anywhere where to go vertically so it went side to side until it fell into the gutters. I think that’s why there’s extra screens. If you stacked the three screens it would equal the playfield of a pinball machine. Another solution would be to have three screens that scrolled continuously.

As far as Q*bert goes I don’t think it controls that bad on real hardware. (It’s unplayable on my emulator.) I too thought it was unresponsive at times but found you have to press the disk precisely on the diagonals. If you’re off by a degree or two Q*bert won’t move.

• Like 3

My BT Update: Had a better game, slowly starting to get the hang of it, stop laughing, I SAID SLOWLY!!! :P  Atleast I made it to a bonus points level... Me and @wongojack, hanging on for dear life with all you BT pros..... 🤣

BURGERTIME - DISC LEVEL - 41,300 POINTS!!!

BURGERTIME(41300)HSC17.jpg.44901e39f8ff878f46af498c698837a1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Quick BurgerTime Update: 

182,500 - IntyFanMatt (+4 BONUS POINTS)

139,550 - Player One (+3 BONUS POINTS)

98,250 cmadruga (+2 BONUS POINTS)

65,850 - Rickster8 (+1 BONUS POINT)

52,100 - lupovax (+1 BONUS POINT)

46,650 - wongojack (+1 BONUS POINT)

Edited by Rickster8
Added in another score.

My BurgerTime Update: Finally had a respectable game.... 😁👍

PERSONAL GOAL OF 50K ACHIEVED!!!!! 😃😏

BURGERTIME - DISC LEVEL - 65,850 POINTS!!!

BURGERTIME(65850)HSC17.jpg.9ea544c39cd7217b41cda9274edbd46a.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 6

Now that I got to my desired point level on this game, one MAJOR complaint if I may? 🤷‍♂️

Can those damn bonuses (ice cream / french fries / ketchup / mustard) hang around a little longer? Good grief. You hear the bell and then scramble to get there and the darn thing vanishes right before you get it.... REALLY??? C'mon Man??? Terrible game design. Needs atleast 2 or 3 more seconds so the stupid things are reachable.... 🙄🤦‍♂️

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Now that I got to my desired point level on this game, one MAJOR complaint if I may? 🤷‍♂️

Can those damn bonuses (ice cream / french fries / ketchup / mustard) hang around a little longer? Good grief. You hear the bell and then scramble to get there and the darn thing vanishes right before you get it.... REALLY??? C'mon Man??? Terrible game design. Needs atleast 2 or 3 more seconds so the stupid things are reachable.... 🙄🤦‍♂️

I do agree with that...I think they should hang around for another couple of seconds.  It's kind like when you grab the money in Lock N Chase and the cops freeze for like a nano-second...it isn't nearly long enough!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I do agree with that...I think they should hang around for another couple of seconds.  It's kind like when you grab the money in Lock N Chase and the cops freeze for like a nano-second...it isn't nearly long enough!

Diner has the same issue...... 

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

• Like 2

It's all about timing and planning :), disc-level bonus time is fairly short .   Though i do admit, L4 is really the only board where it's not advisable to even try for the ketchup more than once.  The scoring in the game is all about maximizing L2 & L5 scoring on the first loop (or two).  Once you get to say the 3rd loop, pickles & hot dogs go off of their rigid movement routines and grouping them for 4 & 8k drops comes much more down to luck. 

I'm going to try and get a couple hours away to play a game here in the next day or two (hopefully).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gavvv said:

It's all about timing and planning :), disc-level bonus time is fairly short .   Though i do admit, L4 is really the only board where it's not advisable to even try for the ketchup more than once.  The scoring in the game is all about maximizing L2 & L5 scoring on the first loop (or two).  Once you get to say the 3rd loop, pickles & hot dogs go off of their rigid movement routines and grouping them for 4 & 8k drops comes much more down to luck. 

I'm going to try and get a couple hours away to play a game here in the next day or two (hopefully).

When I was a kid I had it timed out so the peppers/bonuses would appear right in front of me at least on my first pass of the screen. I can still do this on L1 and L4. I might have even memorized when the peppers would appear. I think it's just based on time.

I didn't realize you could get an 8K bonus! I thought I had all of the nasties on the burger when I get 4K. I usually only get 500-2k drops.

My strategy is to rack up lives and peppers. (I had 13 peppers before I got to level 7 last night.) I also try not to use the peppers until level 7. Then I use them with wild abandon. (I used to have a pattern for that screen so I didn't have to use so many.) You rack up lives by scoring as much as possible by dropping as many nasties as possible. Oh yeah and not dying lol!

Also try to get through the screen as fast as you can. The nasties go into turbo mode after too long. Having said that I probably spend too much time on each screen running away from the nasties and trying to get them to follow me on to the burgers so I can drop them.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Player One said:

When I was a kid I had it timed out so the peppers/bonuses would appear right in front of me at least on my first pass of the screen. I can still do this on L1 and L4. I might have even memorized when the peppers would appear. I think it's just based on time.

I didn't realize you could get an 8K bonus! I thought I had all of the nasties on the burger when I get 4K. I usually only get 500-2k drops.

My strategy is to rack up lives and peppers. (I had 13 peppers before I got to level 7 last night.) I also try not to use the peppers until level 7. Then I use them with wild abandon. (I used to have a pattern for that screen so I didn't have to use so many.) You rack up lives by scoring as much as possible by dropping as many nasties as possible. Oh yeah and not dying lol!

Also try to get through the screen as fast as you can. The nasties go into turbo mode after too long. Having said that I probably spend too much time on each screen running away from the nasties and trying to get them to follow me on to the burgers so I can drop them.

Yeah on lastnight's game I was running for my life on the last two screens. I was dropping and / or squishing whatever I could. I didn't try to work the nasties in such a way as to get a maximum dump. I only 'try' to do that on the first screen. I'm too dopey and un-patient to bother with that after Level 1. At the end like I said I was just running for my life. Dunking this one and squishing that one. The score I got for me was alot of luck in not dying sooner. It's a fun game, but one I will never be very good at. 

• Like 4

My Latest BT Update: Getting better, holy crap, Level 7 is RIDICULOUS!!! There's absolutely NOWHERE TO GO!!! 🥺

Again I was running for my life. I'm pretty happy with this score and I will take another Bonus Point... :P:P

BURGERTIME - DISC LEVEL - 84,150 POINTS!!!

BURGERTIME(84150)HSC17.jpg.9a096b9d325d2942b661944669ff5f40.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 3

501,300.  Very out of practice and hands were cramping, but still had a good supply of 8k drops and hung in there to get over 500k. Have a vod over on my twitch if you want to watch (tho for some reason sound from the game didn't come through on the recording)  twitch.tv/gavv/

20220825_201439.thumb.jpg.2db0ba93ad0a216cb0f1ff74030ca6d1.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, gavvv said:

501,300.  Very out of practice and hands were cramping, but still had a good supply of 8k drops and hung in there to get over 500k. Have a vod over on my twitch if you want to watch (tho for some reason sound from the game didn't come through on the recording)  twitch.tv/gavv/

Incredible score Gavvv, just missed your record.... 😮

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gavvv said:

Season 2 Omg GIF by The Office

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, gavvv said:

20220825_201439.thumb.jpg.2db0ba93ad0a216cb0f1ff74030ca6d1.jpg

friday ice GIFSteve Martin Spinning GIF

• Haha 4