IGNORED

Lode Runner™ for Atari 2600

Dionoid

Typing this with hat in hand.......I am desperate!

What's the trick with level 88 and the getting the gold bar at the lower right-center?  If you're able to get the guard out of there, you climb down and you're stuck as the ladder is too high to climb back up.  If the guard drops down there and grabs the gold he's trapped there permanently with no exit.

This level BY FAR has kicked my ass worse than the others (so far) ........any tips?

88.jpg

You remember well Good Sir.......while it took me about 3 hours of playing time I did get past this most challenging and brutal level.  Just because I am so invested in this level here's some of my suggestions in case anyone cares lol

1. You gotta keep the left-center series of ladders free of any guard.  If one gets in there you'll never be able to get the gold and come out alive

2. You gotta entice and bait the guards away from dropping into the right-center pit.  If one does, you'll never be able to grab that gold bar

3. On the far upper right pit you need to get a guard to trap themselves with the gold, then drill down all the far right bricks (including the two underneath the pit).  The guard will drop down chasing you, get stuck in the first hole and relinquish the gold

More than any other level I've encountered (so far) several things have to occur just right for completion.

Mr. Jentzsch -I am grateful for the tip!

finally.jpg

On 6/9/2023 at 6:43 PM, TeddyBear89 said:

Apologies if this has already been addressed......who's initials are these?

And I'm stuck with dwh on level 88.  I knocked down 10 levels today so gaming fatigue (along with a good helping of Jameson) have settled in and I'm calling it for the day.

doug.jpg

Douglas Gene Carlston was one of the founders and first CEO of Broderbund Software.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Douglas Gene Carlston was one of the founders and first CEO of Broderbund Software.

Yes, that seems very likely to be the explanation for the "DGC" message in level 86! Or could it be Doug and Gary Carlston - the two brothers who founded Brøderbund Software?

Looking at other initials in the game, like D.E.S. in level 144 (Douglas E. Smith), I think you're right it must be Douglas Gene Carlston's initials. Maybe he even designed this level himself?

Good find!

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Any tips on level 92? This is the first level to completely stump me. It seems I need to have a guy fall into the 1 man wide hole with the gold in it on the bottom of the screen but i have only seen this happen twice in like a hundred attempts on this level and i can't recall how I lucked into that necessary happenstance. Please help! And thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Right at the start, have the falling zombie follow you to the bottom center and drill one hole for him to fall in to.  Quickly move your guy to the bottom right corner, then the guard will get out of the dug hole and move left and fall into the established hole.

Kind of hard describing these Lode Runner terms, isn't it?

Attached is a blurry as hell before & after pic of this.

Good luck and please keep me in mind when you arrive at level 116......I'm still stuck!

before.jpg

after.jpg

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TeddyBear89 said:

Right at the start, have the falling zombie follow you to the bottom center and drill one hole for him to fall in to.  Quickly move your guy to the bottom right corner, then the guard will get out of the dug hole and move left and fall into the established hole.

Thank you so much! That got me past level 92.

7 hours ago, TeddyBear89 said:

Good luck and please keep me in mind when you arrive at level 116......I'm still stuck!

Absolutely will do!

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 8:27 PM, TeddyBear89 said:

Stuck again....any tips on level 116?

IMO, there is no way to juke the zombie past you when you enter the bottom center (there is an Apple version on Youtube that shows this)

Some of you clearly have passed this board.....any help would be most appreciated

116.jpg

Desperate Ted here seeking ANY type of help on level 116......I am guessing I have tried this level 350 times with no success.  Same issue continues - that bottom center chamber zombie gets me every time and I think it is impossible to get past him.

I'd even appreciate anyone PMing me the passkey code for this level.  My goal is to complete the game by the start of the NFL season (just two short months away!)

Ambitious, I know........

6 hours ago, TeddyBear89 said:

Desperate Ted here seeking ANY type of help on level 116......I am guessing I have tried this level 350 times with no success.  Same issue continues - that bottom center chamber zombie gets me every time and I think it is impossible to get past him.

I'd even appreciate anyone PMing me the passkey code for this level.  My goal is to complete the game by the start of the NFL season (just two short months away!)

Ambitious, I know........

This may be the trickiest level in the game. I just beat this level, and that guard was confounding.

Stood on the ladder to the right of the crossbar of the "H" in bottom chamber to lure the guard onto the crossbar. When the guard is almost across, jump down to the right, and the guard will fall into the middle of the "H" and be stunned for one red hot second. That is your chance to climb up the ladder, cross the "H", and get to the gold on the other side.

I died at least 50 times trying to do that, and had to set the speed to the lowest setting.

• 2 weeks later...

Did it.  After countless hours and beers I finished level 150 (with a huge nudge from Dionoid)

From my lame notes I had the most challenge and frustrations with levels 50, 64, 88, 92, 109, 116 and 149.  My favorite and funnest levels were 134 and 148. 

This game is a dream come true for the 2600.  I know the frenzy going on about the last chance sale but if you enjoyed Lode Runner on the C-64, Apple or Atari computers you really need to grab this one too.  Thanks again to all that chimed in on this thread with advice and historical info.  Here's a pic of the final message after level 150 is completed......

Spoiler

Level 150 pat on the back screen

v-day.thumb.jpg.bd9b9560db7ea643711e9cd980a4e363.jpg

Edited by TeddyBear89
  • Like 10

• 5 months later...