IGNORED

List of Classic Console Games with Native American / Indigenous Representation

flickertail

Hey all,

I'm looking to build a list of classic console game titles featuring representations of Native American or other indigenous peoples. This could include fictional indigenous peoples where relevant storytelling tropes may apply, such as those on other planets or under the ocean.

For transparency, we are going to use the list in writing an academic paper on the topic. I will include an appropriate acknowledgement of the participants in this thread in the paper, should it ever be published.

If willing, please list any title suggestions you may have in this thread.

The one title I am immediately aware of is "Custer's Revenge" for the 2600. But beyond that, I'm hoping that their might be more positive portrayals as well.

For those (if any) who sometimes read my scattering irregular Atari Age blog posts, this is in the furtherance of my team's Native Dancer video game / metaverse project. A link to the project website can be found here if interested: https://NativeDancer.UND.edu/ 

Publications in the gaming space will help the project get funding in the future.

Even just a list of a few titles will provide us with a starting point to research any academic papers that already exist on the subject.

Thanks,

Aaron

• Like 1

So like Whomp 'Em on NES and also Tonto is in Lone Ranger on there too, and Tomahawk Man in Megaman 6.  Arcade/Ports -- Super Street Fighter II's T.Hawk.  Depending how much you want to stretch indigenous, there are some old civs within the original  Civilization from PC/SNES (etc.)  This what you're after?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

So like Whomp 'Em on NES and also Tonto is in Lone Ranger on there too, and Tomahawk Man in Megaman 6.  Arcade/Ports -- Super Street Fighter II's T.Hawk.  Depending how much you want to stretch indigenous, there are some old civs within the original  Civilization from PC/SNES (etc.)  This what you're after?

Tanooki - Yes, this is exactly what we are looking for. I very much appreciate these examples. Whether positive, negative, or neutral representations, we are just looking for as large of list as possible. Thank you.

Edited by flickertail
  • Like 1

Indian Attack:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/indian-attack

Not sure if it any better than Custer...

I wonder if e.g. Aztec Challenge qualifies, are the Aztecs, Mayas etc indigenous?

Edit: Sorry, I forgot that you specifically are looking for console games, not computer games?

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, carlsson said:

Indian Attack:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/indian-attack

Not sure if it any better than Custer...

I wonder if e.g. Aztec Challenge qualifies, are the Aztecs, Mayas etc indigenous?

Edit: Sorry, I forgot that you specifically are looking for console games, not computer games?

Thanks for this. Ultimately, I hope to make a somewhat complete list. Listing computer games is welcomed. I'm only focused on console games to get started. And because I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of phone apps/games.

• Like 2

Based on the title, "Indian no bouken" on the MSX might qualify for this list, but the only thing even remotely native american about the player or anything else in the game would be the feather in his hat. ...unless the boomerang qualifies?

https://www.generation-msx.nl/software/hudson-soft/indian-no-bouken/release/101/

• Like 1