IGNORED

Last batch of Atari Landfill carts on eBay

Mockduck

For all you Fomo's, they are down to the last 32 carts and that's it. The gentleman selling these for the city is really cool and easy to deal with.

If you put one of the carts on your ebay Watch list, you might just get an offer for less money.  He even accepts reasonable offers.

That said, if you were even remotely interested, now would be a great time to make a deal...

And no, I have no association to these auctions,  just telling you of my experiences with him.

17 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

For all you Fomo's, they are down to the last 32 carts and that's it. The gentleman selling these for the city is really cool and easy to deal with.

If you put one of the carts on your ebay Watch list, you might just get an offer for less money.  He even accepts reasonable offers.

That said, if you were even remotely interested, now would be a great time to make a deal...

And no, I have no association to these auctions,  just telling you of my experiences with him.

Same, I thought the person doing this did a great job, the inclusion of the metal city ID tag, authentication, and inclusion of newspaper clippings and such is excellent.

9 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

I was stupid and sent an offer on one of those. I kinda hope it gets rejected.

I mean, I'm paying money for literal trash.

Or you can look at it as soon there will be no more available.  Almost no one who purchased these have parted with them.  You rarely see on eBay and when you do,  someone wants a ridiculous amount of money for it and it just sits there for years.  That said, hang on to it for a couple months until the rest of the carts sell and there are none left to be had and list on ebay for a little more than you paid.  More than likely, someone who missed out and kicked themselves in the butt for doing so will be happy to take off your hands.  Maybe even up to twice as much...  some people paid literally thousands and thousands of dollars for that same trash.

Remember one man's trash is another man's treasure...  

And one last thing, you made an offer... that means you were smart enough not to pay full price for trash as you call it. 😉

Edited by 4ever2600

They ended up accepting my offer, so I'm going to get it.

I think it's a cool little trinket, even if it is just trash. I just feel silly for buying it.

I got the Video Olympics cartridge he was selling.

I went with that one specifically since Atari and Pong go hand-in-hand for me.

You're absolutely correct!  That's what it means to you, it's the reason you do it.  It doesn't have to be special to anyone else.  Wait until you get the entire package and see what's all included.  I think you'll see it differently once you go through everything...  thats how it was for me when I bought mine.

I've heard both.  When they unearthed the first batch from the 2014 dig, sold in 2015, yes it was a whole year later, they def smelled as they were fresh, no pun intended, out of the ground. 

Flash forward to 2023, 9 years later, of airing out in a facility in AL, NM and not so pugnant.  One of mine did, another one wasn't bad at all.  Could have left it out and not been a big deal. 

Also probably depended on what 'garbage' was specifically dumped on your lucky cart. Lol  

41 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

A very dumb question for anyone who has one: Are the carts stinky? I mean, it was a landfill...

Mine had a smell when I opened the shipping box, but it wasn't enough to fill the room. Put a box of baking soda in the shipping box for a few days with the items out of their bag and it was fine. You can indeed smell landfill, however, if you smell it close up.

42 minutes ago, Keatah said:

What if there was a bag of soiled diapers or a turkey carcass dripping onto the carts? That's just gross! All that stuff festering and rotting..

I'm sure their were alot of what ifs...

Although considering these were all dumped and found together and there was a thick cap of concrete poured over them I would say it probably wasnt the case, but I also can't rule it out... landfill and all. 

Edited by 4ever2600
  • Like 1

20 left. 

9x 5200 titles and 11x 2600.

I believe the only shrink wrapped title left is the 5200 Tennis cart...

Several days ago, I noted there was approx 32 carts left.  They're going pretty quick!

Several are still loose Atari 2600 carts that aren't that expensive.

Now I am just shillin...  can't believe this chapter is almost over!

12 left! And seller has marked them down to blow out the few left!

2600s are 50.00!  5200s are 100.00!  Last chance to snag one!!

Also I didn't know this about the 5200 items, but here is an excerpt from one of them.  

These games are from the Atari 5200.  All prior sales have been the 2600, no 5200s.  Out of the 1,388 games I recovered, there were only 20 each of the 5200s.  I am selling 14 only of the 20, keeping the other 6 for historical preservation of the dig.  These were interesting, because supposedly Atari told the employees at the warehouses in El Paso, they were not closing down just making room for the new system the Atari 5200, so that is why they were loading and shipping the 2600s to the landfill.  So why were these in the loads - accident or truly shutting down the operations.  I guess know the answer.  So another part of the urban legend.  So even more rare than the others released.

This cartridge has more of the legend, it has concrete remnants on it.  The legend says that Atari put 2 feet of concrete over the whole area where the Ataris were buried.  There was concrete, but not 2 feet thick, just barely enough to cover the area. The concrete cap actually protected the games for us to find in 2014, separating it from the messy garbage that was placed on to top of them, 30 feet underground.
Edited by 4ever2600