IGNORED

How do you set up a TNSF server?

I went to the fujinet.online/download site and downloaded the TNSF server for Windows 10.  I placed the file in my "Atari" subdirectory where I have disk images and other Atari files.  I double clicked the tnfsd.exe file, there was a quick flash on the screen but nothing else.  I then went to fujinet and plugged in my IP address that was shown in my WIFI properties on the TNFS host list.  It did not work.  I'm guessing I missed a few steps along the way but I couldn't find any Youtube video that would give me step by step setup instructions.  Any direction you can provide would be appreciated.  

3 hours ago, Tonyscouter said:

I went to the fujinet.online/download site and downloaded the TNSF server for Windows 10.  I placed the file in my "Atari" subdirectory where I have disk images and other Atari files.  I double clicked the tnfsd.exe file, there was a quick flash on the screen but nothing else.  I then went to fujinet and plugged in my IP address that was shown in my WIFI properties on the TNFS host list.  It did not work.  I'm guessing I missed a few steps along the way but I couldn't find any Youtube video that would give me step by step setup instructions.  Any direction you can provide would be appreciated.  

The hostname you should use in your hosts lists, should match the machine that the TNFS server is running on.

-Thom

21 hours ago, Tonyscouter said:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/Setting-Up-TNFS-On-Windows-10

23 hours ago, Tonyscouter said:

Thom, my PC name is "Toshiba-PC" should I plug in that name instead of the IP address?

3 hours ago, Kenshi said:

I have Linux and can't speak for the Windows setup, but I can say that putting the IP address of my TNFS server into FujiNet worked fine.

Just as a general comment: all of the above are going to very much depend on local network configuration, how the TNFS host has its networking configured, the OS in use, etc.

I know all too well what happens when I try to volunteer time to take something on, particularly when I know what's in my pipeline through the end of the year.  tnfsd is an area of the documentation that could use help in general, however.

• 4 months later...
On 10/16/2022 at 2:12 AM, MichaG said:

You have to tell tnfsd.exe where your Atari-Files are. Make a small server.bat with

tnfsd.exe D:\FujiNet

and start the bat file.

I think I'll try this next.

I set it up as directed on the site (I think) and wasn't having any luck on my Win10 machine...

(Set up tnfsd.exe to start at boot in Task Scheduler, gave it the path so the details for the Action shows C:\tnfsd/tntfsd.exe "C:\tnfsroot" ... All looks good.)

I could see that it was running in Task Manager after a reboot.  I could see that it was listening with netstat.

When I would telnet to it (on the same Win10 machine), I got a connection, so it looked like it thought it was working...

But I couldn't get my Fujinet to see it without errors.

This morning, I killed the task and ran it manually in a command prompt window...
Works... <sigh>
So something about the way Windows is trying to launch that task.  I mean, it launches and runs, but isn't working.. (path I would guess) I'll try the batch file and see what that does...  (Maybe it's those quotes around the path...  Removing them...)

Worst case, it's not a terrible thing if I just run it manually when needed...  

OK, for those following along (just me, but still), it was the quotes.  I guess I was being too literal when following the instructions. ;-)

In the "Add Arguments (optional)" box for the Task Properties, don't put your path in quotes. ;-)

Edited by desiv

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello,

{apologies for the necrobump}

I have a basic question that I cannot seem to find the answer for (and that, at one point, I used to know):  how do I prevent guest users from being able to write files to the server?

Thanks

EDIT:  figured it out.  For those also looking:

Login to pi using your username/pass (because you obviously have already removed the pi/tnfs combo, right? ;-) )

use the following command:

sudo nano edit /etc/samba/smb.conf

{scroll down to this}

[tnfs]

path = /tnfs
        writeable = Yes  {CHANGE THIS TO "No"}
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        public = yes
        force user = tnfs
        force group = tnfs

{reboot for it to take effect}

-M

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I wasn't sure if I should post my attempt to set up a TNFS on my wife's old laptop (now running Linux Mint) here, so I put it in my blog and I'll add a link in case anyone want's to see more. This is a great thread and it helped me a lot in this task! - Cheers, Darren

• Thanks 3

On 9/6/2023 at 12:56 PM, MacRorie said:

Hello,

{apologies for the necrobump}

I have a basic question that I cannot seem to find the answer for (and that, at one point, I used to know):  how do I prevent guest users from being able to write files to the server?

Thanks

EDIT:  figured it out.  For those also looking:

Login to pi using your username/pass (because you obviously have already removed the pi/tnfs combo, right? ;-) )

use the following command:

sudo nano edit /etc/samba/smb.conf

{scroll down to this}

[tnfs]

path = /tnfs
        writeable = Yes  {CHANGE THIS TO "No"}
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        public = yes
        force user = tnfs
        force group = tnfs

{reboot for it to take effect}

-M

This isn't going to stop tnfs visitors from creating files just people connecting via smb.

You need to set the ownership of the files to one account (the one you upload stuff using) but set the credentials of the connecting tnfs users to something else. Give that user read only access.

• Like 2