IGNORED

High Score Enabled Games on apps.irata.online

I will mention this once more. PLEASE DO NOT MOUNT THESE DISKS AS READ/WRITE.

This means there is a permissions issue I need to deal with. will check, as I had to move the whole TNFS server to a google cloud instance.

-Thom

Checked and verified, permissions are okay with that file. hm.

Edited by tschak909

• 5 months later...
12 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

Ok, so what's happening here is REALLY strange.

Each of the games is being serviced by a tiny C program which generates the high score pages in response to inotify events on their disk images.

Each of these scrapers are being run by a seperate systemd service. 

When I start the systemd services, they segfault.

When I start them in a shell, they run fine.

There was a system upgrade to apps recently, so something fundamentally changed with google cloud system policy in systemd that I am not aware of.

Trying to work around it, for now. 

$@#^(%)!

-Thom

27 minutes ago, E474 said:

Not wishing to spam AtariAge, but as a heads up for the Oracle Free Tier (a pretty good deal for their always free offering as an alternative to Google Cloud): 

https://www.techtarget.com/searchcloudcomputing/tip/Dig-into-Oracle-Clouds-Always-Free-offerings

I narrowed down the problem, and it came down to a directory move for the ATR images. I was able to fix the systemd units, and restart the high score scrapers. My bad.

The high-scores are now all working again. :) PEBKAC error.

-Thom

• Like 6

• 7 months later...

It's always awesome to see somebody raise the bar :)

And no, you don't have to mount write enabled. The FujiNet detects that the mounted disk is high score enabled, and it will automatically switch to write the high score table sectors, before switching back to read only, so that others can use the disk at the same time.

-Thom

8 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

It's always awesome to see somebody raise the bar :)

And no, you don't have to mount write enabled. The FujiNet detects that the mounted disk is high score enabled, and it will automatically switch to write the high score table sectors, before switching back to read only, so that others can use the disk at the same time.

-Thom

Yeah I typed to soon I went back and read the first post and also it says to keep it read only on the server.

But that raises another question I have regarding remote files. Is it possible to write to them? Seems like that would open up the opportunity for people to accidentally corrupt other peoples files on their servers...

2 minutes ago, sideburn said:

Yeah I typed to soon I went back and read the first post and also it says to keep it read only on the server.

But that raises another question I have regarding remote files. Is it possible to write to them? Seems like that would open up the opportunity for people to accidentally corrupt other peoples files on their servers...

TNFS servers run as an unprivileged user.

Thus the files are exposed with privileges from the perspective of that user.

For the majority of files on public servers, these files are marked read only, and can't be written to.

For the High Score Enabled games, they do have write permission, and are backed up, in case they become corrupted. There are also copies of the games with blank high score tables in the fujinet-high-scores repo in the FujiNet group on Github.

-Thom

3 minutes ago, sideburn said:

Ahh, so on my local tnfs server there’s a way I can set certain files to always be read only regardless of the setting on the console ?

........ *Deep-breath* ........ 

As I said, the files inherit the permissions of the user that runs the server.

So set the file permissions using your favorite tool, chmod, the windows properties dialog, the MacOS file inspector...

-Thom 

1 hour ago, tschak909 said:

........ *Deep-breath* ........ 

As I said, the files inherit the permissions of the user that runs the server.

So set the file permissions using your favorite tool, chmod, the windows properties dialog, the MacOS file inspector...

-Thom 

Ahhhh I see now. Ok. Yeah. Mines on a Mac. With a launch deamon that runs it in the background on login. Pretty sweet :)

I didn’t follow how the permissions were being set. Thought it was done through the server itself or something 

Edited by sideburn