IGNORED

Beauty and the Beast

TeddyBear89

Any B & the Beast experts here?  Two questions:

1. Is there a different congratulatory message that appears if you complete level 10?  Level 7 is my all-time high and I doubt my thumb will ever allow me greater heights so I'll have to settle with GREAT.  This game is rough on old thumbs!

2. After completing level 3 the airplane that flies by between building levels with the banner (Lucky, Good Job) starts using "Awesome" in the rotation.  Are there any other phrases one would see if they progressed deeper in this game?

My mother would be ashamed of the foul language that spews out of my mouth when I lose 2, 3, or 4 lives in immediate succession at times but this game is an Intellivision immortal for sure!

bbb.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 1:27 PM, TeddyBear89 said:

Any B & the Beast experts here?  Two questions:

1. Is there a different congratulatory message that appears if you complete level 10?  Level 7 is my all-time high and I doubt my thumb will ever allow me greater heights so I'll have to settle with GREAT.  This game is rough on old thumbs!

2. After completing level 3 the airplane that flies by between building levels with the banner (Lucky, Good Job) starts using "Awesome" in the rotation.  Are there any other phrases one would see if they progressed deeper in this game?

My mother would be ashamed of the foul language that spews out of my mouth when I lose 2, 3, or 4 lives in immediate succession at times but this game is an Intellivision immortal for sure!

bbb.jpg

The message after GREAT is SUPER. I've never gotten there myself. Here is a pic from someone who submitted a 10.0 score for our Intellivision High Score Club..... Here is the link for our Intellivision High Score Club if you'd like to join up.... https://forums.atariage.com/forum/128-intellivision-high-score-club/ @TeddyBear89

BNTBSUPER10.png.2237f5c5d7c97f01bf9505866dc152ff.png

• Like 3

Back in 1983 I got to be pretty good at playing Beauty And The Beast.  Once I cleared 12 buildings.  I remember the word "SUPER!" appearing after building #10.  I really wanted to make it to 15 and see if it shows a different word, but wasn't able to.  At building #11 the game's speed increases by quite a bit and becomes much harder.  

Once, when using a hex editor, I searched through the ROM file and looked for other messages in it, but didn't find any.  I suspect there are more, but they are not in text form, because I didn't see the words "GREAT" or "SUPER" in it, either.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TeddyBear89 said:

Hot off the press!  I had long forgotten about this Easter Egg too.  By pushing 3 and 7 on the right controller these initials do appear.

Thank you Rickster8 and Bill246 for answering my inquiry. 

bb.jpg

Thanks TeddyBear89 & RetroAI for this information.  Up until now I could not find any proof that it existed so thank you for that.  One near 40-year-old mystery finally put to bed in my search of Easter Eggs.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 10/29/2022 at 2:48 PM, Midnighttiger89 said:

Thanks TeddyBear89 & RetroAI for this information.  Up until now I could not find any proof that it existed so thank you for that.  One near 40-year-old mystery finally put to bed in my search of Easter Eggs.

The Intellivision FAQ has the info. "Does Beauty n the Beast have easter eggs?" in section 3

I have a love-hate relationship with this game (I've a feeling I'm not alone). It's brilliant - but just comes up short of true greatness due to slippery controls. The number of times you just glide past an open window when you're clearly pressing UP is frustrating. Even under emulation with a 4-way joystick, if you don't let up on the left/right momentarily before you press UP it will cruise past the window. If that one control aspect could be tightened up, this would easily break into my top 3 Intellivision games of all time. Even as-is, it's top-10 material for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, llabnip said:

I have a love-hate relationship with this game (I've a feeling I'm not alone). It's brilliant - but just comes up short of true greatness due to slippery controls. The number of times you just glide past an open window when you're clearly pressing UP is frustrating. Even under emulation with a 4-way joystick, if you don't let up on the left/right momentarily before you press UP it will cruise past the window. If that one control aspect could be tightened up, this would easily break into my top 3 Intellivision games of all time. Even as-is, it's top-10 material for me.

Maybe David H. Can do a B & The B 2.0  and adjust controls and add new buildings / baddies etc,

I never really noticed the control being that bad. (in this game) and I had only a working Intellivision II when I started playing this. Maybe the side buttons overshadow the directional limitations! 

On 10/8/2023 at 7:04 AM, llabnip said:

Lol, my relationship is just hate for this game yes because of the shoddy controls and with what you mentioned up above. But, my real angst with this game is the dreaded rash of deaths that usually end the game. You can be cruising along with 6 extra guys and then you lose a life and instead of the game starting over at the bottom of that level without all the chaos going on. You just respawn right in the middle of all the chaos. Meaning no fresh new board, you respawn right in the middle of everything that just ended your prior life. This usually just continues and you end up losing all 6 lives, hence the name 'rash of deaths'. Most games give a reprieve when you respawn, not BNTB. I think this game had potential to be great. If the controls were better, if the game had you respawn on a fresh board and if the lady actually blew her kisses down to you in more convenient spots yeah this would be a great game.... But no all those bad things exist which abundantly help me to hate this game... Playing this game for me is an anxiety NIGHTMARE... I just choose to ABSTAIN.... :( 

Just ask my buddy Matt, we BOTH hate this game.... :P 

@IntyFanMatt

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Lol, my relationship is just hate for this game yes because of the shoddy controls and with what you mentioned up above. But, my real angst with this game is the dreaded rash of deaths that usually end the game. You can be cruising along with 6 extra guys and then you lose a life and instead of the game starting over at the bottom of that level without all the chaos going on. You just respawn right in the middle of all the chaos. Meaning no fresh new board, you respawn right in the middle of everything that just ended your prior life. This usually just continues and you end up losing all 6 lives, hence the name 'rash of deaths'. Most games give a reprieve when you respawn, not BNTB. I think this game had potential to be great. If the controls were better, if the game had you respawn on a fresh board and if the lady actually blew her kisses down to you in more convenient spots yeah this would be a great game.... But no all those bad things exist which abundantly help me to hate this game... Playing this game for me is an anxiety NIGHTMARE... I just choose to ABSTAIN.... :( 

Just ask my buddy Matt, we BOTH hate this game.... :P 

@IntyFanMatt

So true. This game could’ve been so much better if they reset the board after you died. The quick chain deaths are extremely frustrating and make you want to smash your screen, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2023 at 6:41 PM, alevin16 said:

I got AWESOME once

Are you referring to the banner that flies by after a level or are you referring to the name in my pic up above that says 'SUPER! 10'? 

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing? 👍

2 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Are you referring to the banner that flies by after a level or are you referring to the name in my pic up above that says 'SUPER! 10'? 

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing? 👍

I was referring to the banner that flies after a level is completed.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2023 at 2:03 PM, Rickster8 said:

For the level messages, there is the "GREAT" at level 5 and "SUPER!" at level 10. No others.

For the airplane banner, there are:

GAME OVER

GOOD JOB!

WELL DONE

LUCKY

NOT BAD

AWESOME

• Like 5

On 10/8/2023 at 5:58 PM, 1980gamer said:

Maybe David H. Can do a B & The B 2.0

Ask and you kind of receive. Super Pro is mostly done. Major differences are:

- better controls

- no more dying immediately when you re-spawn

- slower man

- timing adjustments

- other "fun" stuff

@Rickster8, I am hoping the updated version will bring you back to the game.

Edited by intvdave
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, intvdave said:

Ask and you kind of receive. Super Pro is mostly done. Major differences are:

You guys are going to love this one!  With tight controls and a short bit of invulnerability on a re-spawn (to prevent rage-quits when losing your stock of guys in a matter of seconds) it's raised my building-climb-average by 2.5 buildings.  I hooked up the blood pressure monitor and A-B compared the original to this test version and it's about a 40 point difference in the systolic reading.

This is the version that we deserved.

• Like 4