IGNORED

Atari 2600 CleanComp Composite Mod - Feedback & Testing

retrosix

3 hours ago, braincell1973 said:

X=usr....... Clearly you didn't read and understand what I had written, ****-tard ( notice the lack of plural ) referred to the previous post and not yours, however, As you clearly are unable to scan through a video please feel free to apply said ****-tard status to yourself too.

At least have the balls to swear properly if you're going to do it.  The asterisks only serve to make your rants comedic rather than assailing.

What's more rediculous ? Expecting you to employ a fast forward to the end of a video or expecting me to re-edit the video into a small enough segment that ****-tards can digest ?

So from the use of the phrase, "re-edit," above we should infer that the video is in fact yours since it indicates that you've already edited it at least once.  Got it.

Nice to see how that self-promotion is evidently working out for you.  Ditto the needless defensiveness.  Do continue, though; it's always pleasant to see how content creators react towards their audience.

Naturally, if I am wrong about you being the creator of said content, I'll just chalk this particular incident up to my inability to divine the actual meaning behind your shortcomings in using the English language correctly.

And yes, It is a shame that a person can make 3 posts and have to defend themselves when simply trying to help........ 

Of course you're the victim.  Of course you are.  Just like always, I'm sure.

• Like 2

In my content I have a warning, on a public forum ****-tards get asterisks, you sir are a ****-tard......

I posted a video and after I posted it you and your fellow ****-tard made a conscious choice to berate a new user rather than fast forward to the end........

Victim or not, I have a point about the video quality and sound issues, watch it, don't watch it, I really don't care as i made it because I wanted too....... certainly not for you......

I just hope that their isn't too many other self-entitled ****-tards on this board that think a high post count gives them the innate ability to victimise people.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, braincell1973 said:

In my content I have a warning, on a public forum ****-tards get asterisks, you sir are a ****-tard......

I posted a video and after I posted it you and your fellow ****-tard made a conscious choice to berate a new user rather than fast forward to the end........

So it's reasonable to sign up on a forum and immediately begin promoting your own videos, then get pissy because two people ask for a synopsis of the point you're making.  Meanwhile, you haven't bothered to tell anyone that you are the creator of these videos, and as such stand to profit monetarily from the views that they garner.  All of this makes perfect sense.

Victim or not, I have a point about the video quality and sound issues, watch it, don't watch it, I really don't care as i made it because I wanted too....... certainly not for you......

Thank you for proving exactly how you view your audience, and not just with this statement.  Good job!

I just hope that their isn't too many other self-entitled ****-tards on this board that think a high post count gives them the innate ability to victimise people.

C-, must try harder.

• Like 2

I'm amazed just how wrong a person can deliberately be trying to get a rise........

OK, The ****-tard big writing version.......I didnt sign up to promote videos or anything else......

I make videos because I WANT TOO, not to gain anything, a point I have made twice but you seem incapable of understanding.

I would suggest you reread how this started, you may have asked for a synopsis after you failed to gain the ability to fast forward, but YOU started to berate me after I answered the person AFTER YOUR REPLY.........

There's no version of this where your anything but a trolling ****-tard, and yes, you must try harder.........

And , just in case you really havnt got the message after the above, I MAKE VIDEOS BECAUSE I WANT TOO......... I don't have an "audience" just people who do or do not want to watch, and nothing YOU say is going to change that........

Edited by braincell1973
Autocorrect

8 minutes ago, braincell1973 said:

I'm amazed just how wrong a person can deliberately be trying to get a rise........

OK, The ****-tard big writing version.......I didnt sign up to promote videos or anything else......

I make videos because I WANT TOO, not to gain anything, a point I have made twice but you seem incapable of understanding.

I would suggest you reread how this started, you may have asked for a synopsis after you failed to gain the ability to fast forward, but YOU started to berate me after I answered the person AFTER YOUR REPLY.........

There's no version of this where your anything but a trolling ****-tard, and yes, you must try harder.........

And , just in case you really havnt got the message after the above, I MAKE VIDEOS BECAUSE I WANT TOO......... I don't have an "audience" just people who do or do not want to watch, and nothing YOU say is going to change that........

That's nice.  Really, though, I've stopped caring.  Thank you for this enlightening look into the thickness of your skin, which, as best I can tell, is so thin as to be almost nonexistent.

Just remember the old adage: you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

• Haha 1

I wish you two would get a room already so discussion could get back on topic. 😄 

To answer the question asked before this went entirely off the rails, my 2600 is indeed NTSC.  Also I am pretty sure my CleanComp is v1.0 although the board isn't labeled with version number.  It is the orange board shown on website.

• Like 2

Girls! Girls!...you're both pretty! Now lets get back to things.

Tell you what, I actually did watch that video nearly all the way. Here is the brief.

The video goes through the process that the creator went through where he does a complete installation in the beginning of the video. So it is towards the last 1/4 or so where the results are shown...

Composite actually looks pretty normal to me and the jaggedness being seen in that video is the same as most other composite signals look on modern day displays without the comb filters present we all got used to having back in the CRT days.

The s-video looks better than the results I got with s-video in that he doesn't seem to have the horrid jail bars that I got with my early revision of the board. But the bleeding that is seen could be the clean comp, but it could also be the use of him viewing the image stretched out and other settings related to his particular LCD he happens to be using. I know that I will easily see different results depending on the display I happen to be using so that is why I have several different displays I use in case the results differ.

The audio I'm not sure what is going on there. I thought there were jumpers you have to set for the audio to specify stereo or mono and I know that PAL consoles only have a single TIA audio channel so I wouldn't think that would have played into this but as the early revision boards didn't have that option I can't be sure how the audio is being handled on the newer boards.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Composite actually looks pretty normal to me

Good to know, I personally havnt tried any other mods on a 2600 or fired up the scope yet.

On a side note I made a very short video after showing the output from my xe, on the same setup in svideo, its far superior.

Edited by braincell1973
Autocorrect

2 minutes ago, braincell1973 said:

Good to know, I personally havnt tried any other mods on a 2600 or fired up the scope yet.

On a side note I made a very short video after showing the output from my xe, on the same setup in svideo, its far superior.

I've heard that from others that the s-video from the XE line is great. That hasn't been my case with my 130xe NTSC that I own. The original s-video had horrible jail bars in it so I installed a UAV. Still had the bars, and it wasn't until I removed the RF modulator that the bars nearly disappeared finally. I also have a VBXE installed and it too has some slight jail bars in the image output. So it seems at least my 130xe just doesn't want to display anything cleanly LOL.

The cleancomp seems to be using the same amp as one of the video circuits as it's having a negating effect on the signal.

Going direct from the tia pin or other suitable tap point will cure that

Well one thing for sure is that the audio from the TIA doesn't really require any amplification to be used. If anything it needs some resistance and maybe a cap to filter it a bit and drop it down more to proper line level use. Raw it is really too hot for that but still works okay.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well one thing for sure is that the audio from the TIA doesn't really require any amplification to be used. If anything it needs some resistance and maybe a cap to filter it a bit and drop it down more to proper line level use. Raw it is really too hot for that but still works okay.

Both good practice 

OK, I think I may need a qualifier here, I'm used to the svideo from my c64 amd c128 which is frankly superb, it may be that I'm expecting too much from the ataris , but they *should* be as capable of supplying an equally good image.

I don't think s-video really ever has as much of an impact in the consumer market here in the US as it did in other places. As a result, I'm sure it wasn't something Atari focused on too much to make it as good as it could be and likely figured it was good enough. But I'm on speculating here.

For me with the cost for the cleancomp and shipping it to me, I'm going to stick with using the UAVs for now in most of the Atari consoles for the future. I realize that isn't the case for folks across the pond as ordering UAVs is more expensive and one of the reasons that Cleancomp came about?

Yea the atari 8bit line didn't have the presence in the UK it had in the states, It's a pity really as it is a very capable machine, especially compared to some of the other monstrosities we had to put up with...... ahem..... amstrad......ahem........ but seriously the composite is quite terrible , this wasn't the case back in the day as it was much better than RF but now on LCDs it shows up all artifacts, The UAV is quite expensive over here but I hear it's very good 👍 

Edited by braincell1973
Autocorrect

4 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:
4 hours ago, braincell1973 said:

So it's reasonable to sign up on a forum and immediately begin promoting your own videos, then get pissy because two people ask for a synopsis of the point you're making.  Meanwhile, you haven't bothered to tell anyone that you are the creator of these videos, and as such stand to profit monetarily from the views that they garner.  All of this makes perfect sense.

Thank you for proving exactly how you view your audience, and not just with this statement.  Good job!

C-, must try harder.

Wow - I didn't think my initial comment would cut straight to the bone.  It sure is easy to bring out the victims though.  Wonder why or how that is? Must be that high post count privilege.  Did I get all the proper buzz-words in, or should I say ****-words?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, braincell1973 said:

Yea the atari 8bit line didn't have the presence in the UK it had in the states, It's a pity really as it is a very capable machine, especially compared to some of the other monstrosities we had to put up with...... ahem..... amstrad......ahem........ but seriously the composite is quite terrible , this wasn't the case back in the day as it was much better than RF but now on LCDs it shows up all artifacts, The UAV is quite expensive over here but I hear it's very good 👍

The UAV is indeed good, and this is precisely why any new video mod is now subject to very high standards. Clearly the last page or so of posts in this thread reflects that.

I think the major drawback of the UAV is that it requires spaghetti-wiring and this (and other similar video mods) have always been a bit janky. Solder is not designed to make mechanical connections such as wires to IC pins or other points on the PCB.

I mean, I do understand that the UAV is "universal" and although it's cool that this one mod can work with everything, with low-run PCBs so much easier to get now, there's no reason why better console-specific mods could not be created instead, and especially, I would like to see a move away from the old spaghetti-wiring methods. Many of my older spaghetti mods have come loose over the years just from transporting consoles around.

For that matter, I have seen other mods that use an IC socket, and these also seem to have issues - there is one mod in particular that plugs into a TIA socket, and this mod manages to work its way loose pretty easily.

After seeing the ideas on this thread regarding the CleanComp, I think the board-to-board soldering method is a step in the right direction - though, as I said earlier, I still think a castellated PCB would work far better than what I have seen here.)

It's too bad the output so far doesn't seem as good as other options, but hopefully it will get better.

4 hours ago, tep392 said:

Please review the forum guidelines.  Here's one quote to remember.

"While we understand some discussions can become heated, we will not tolerate members insulting each other in the public forums. "

Consider yourself warned and please keep the discussion civil.

TEP392

But I guess this only applies to new members?

And NOT existing trolls who decided to NOT be civil ?

• Sad 1

But I guess this only applies to new members?

And NOT existing trolls who decided to NOT be civil ?

It was the flagrant name calling.  Experienced members or people who have read the forum guidelines know this.