IGNORED

mid line color change in ANTIC mode 7?

You could try setting the priority registers and overlapping the PM sprites in that rightmost vertical bar to get another color, (or for that matter in any of the other vertical bars) but it may not be the color you were hoping for. Looks like you were hoping for a very dark green, if the pics I'm finding online are your inspiration?

Edited by FifthPlayer

You can do that colour change.  But the DMA load is different on the first scanline where the character codes are fetched so you'll need different delay on that one.

For Mode 4/5 you can't do it on first scanline since they lose practically all the display cycles for alternating character/font fetches.  But Mode 6/7 only needs half the bandwidth so there's free cycles in there.  That said though you have refresh losses as well so the timing isn't straightforward.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rybags said:

You can do that colour change.  But the DMA load is different on the first scanline where the character codes are fetched so you'll need different delay on that one.

For Mode 4/5 you can't do it on first scanline since they lose practically all the display cycles for alternating character/font fetches.  But Mode 6/7 only needs half the bandwidth so there's free cycles in there.  That said though you have refresh losses as well so the timing isn't straightforward.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............. :)

You'd probably find it easier to just use a single DLI then a loop for the overall display.  Maybe do a single blank line with the DLI on it before the mode lines to give a bit of extra time.

Character fetch lines will have a shorter delay needed than the other ones.

Altirra Atari Hardware Manual also has reference pages describing DMA patterns for each graphics mode type.

Yeah, you really want to use a DLI (for X number of scanlines) instead of an infinite loop.  And what I would do is use PLAYER0 for both the leftmost and rightmost bars, and change it's horizontal position and color mid-scanline.  Which absolutely works, you just have to have the timing right.

So right after the WSYNC, set it's color and the leftmost position, then at the appropriate color clock, set it's rightmost position and color.  Easier to do it this way than it is to try to hit an EXACT cycle to change the color, because of jitter, etc...

My post here is related to this:

• Like 1

OK.  Also note having PMG DMA active vs not will make timing different though you'd probably have it active all the time I guess.

You could use GPRIOR = 00 and/or multicolour PM mode to gain more colours though the resultants are palette entries ORed together so not necessarily giving you what you need.

I'm guessing you want something near to what they used on the manual covers which comes to a rainbow of about 28 different values.

28 minutes ago, Rybags said:

I wonder - what if you used Antic F (hires) then changed to GTIA mode for the rainbow part each scanline?

Antic F / GTIA was the first thing that came to my mind too; but putting the color bars at the bottom instead.

Well, putting the color bars at the bottom would fix your mode 7 problem as well...