IGNORED

BigPEmu and Controllers

Goochman

I didnt want to bury this dicussion in the EMU topic, feel free to ignore if you think otherwise :)

I got my Jaguar-daptor (http://www.2600-daptor.com/Jaguar-daptor.htmtoday and grabbed my reproduction Pro Controller to try it with BigPEmu. I went to the System settings and changed the button bindings to my ProController which worked like a champ so it appeared.

At first it was awesome playing some titles with the original controller, however it seemed the USB controller kept getting dropped.

Basically while playing Tempest 2000 within 30 seconds there would be a slight pause like something being disconnected and then a variety of controller issues would happen:

1.  No controls

2.  Left wouldnt work, all else good

3.  D-Pad wont register but buttons still work

It almost appeared that the joystick was disconnected from USB which it wasnt.

If I quickly unpolugged the Jaguar-daptor and then back in control would be restorted for another 30 seconds or so.  This happened with multiple games.

I used my ProController with Altirra playing 8bit DOnkey Kong and the controller never dropped so Im thinking it might be emu related but curious if others have had any controller issues Like Ive seen (Jaguar-daptor or not)?

Edited by Goochman

I haven't had this issue. This sounds like a windows driver issue. I had a USB wi Fi dongle that had a similar symptom as you described. Issue was a driver mismatch with my version of windows.

Do you get the same symptoms when using with a different program, such as a SNES emulator or a PC game? That will at least help isolate whether it's your PC or an incompatibility with bigpemu specifically (unlikely since I use the same controller and adapter with the emulator without problems).

Why don't you also open up the USB joystick settings in windows and make sure all your buttons register and that the joystick isn't dropped after 30 seconds.

Also check the physical prongs on the plug on your controller. I read in the controller topic that those can be bent sometimes, in which case maybe something isn't making a good connection with the female end on the adapter.

14 hours ago, walter_J64bit said:

Don't use third-party controllers they don't work.

He's right, it only works with the primary Xinput controler.  I can use my main Xbox One gamepad but not my other one that resembles the Pro Controler w/o the keypad.

You can use Joy2Key to map keystrokes to any controler though...

So I setup Joy2Key for my Controller and it works 99% :) - There is def some hangup that happens where controller input is interrupted.  With keyboard control I just need to let off the button for a second and control is restored.  When using it as a native USB device when control is interrupted it cant recover unless unplugged.

I have a workable solution and playing Jag games on my PC with a Jag controller is a blast :)

Im going to try my Xbox Elites Series 2 to see if that works and helps my gaming ;) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Interesting.  I am literally using the same jag adapter with the same type of replica pro controller. I configured it to the key binds inside bigpemu, and have had no issues whatsoever over the last several days of using it.

What M$ Windows are you using and what hardware your running? 

Edited by walter_J64bit

image.png

I have an NVIDIA 3070 graphics card.

USB 2 also

image.png

There is def some sort of 'hiccup' happening when I run the emulator.  No rhyme or reason but the following scenario can pretty much replicate it:

Playing Super Hang On

Holding down a directional button (say turning right on a curve) while also holding down a button (such as the B button to accelerate).  Almost like it floods the emulator and input breaks for a mirco second.  I have to let off all controls and it starts working again(for Joy2Key, with USB I have to reconnect)

Games like Tempest 2k and Atari Karts all have simultanuous direction/button pressing which is where I run into it.

I tried my XBox Elite controller and got the same results.

Edited by Goochman

One thing that surprises me a bit about BigPEmu is that you don't need that great of equipment to run it. 

I've got it running on a 10 year-old HP laptop that has an old i3 running at 2.5 GHz, a bit of a dog by today's standards, and yet I find the emulator runs very well.

• Like 1

I thought I had a solution but alas no.  I ran SUper Burnout on my other PC and it worked perfectly.  I exited the emu and after a few mins restarted it and tried Tempest 2k and the controller lost direction - it would only move right but all other buttons worked.

My other PC

image.png

If we had a few more Jaguar-daptor testers and they all work maybe its just my adaptor.

Ok sounds like there is some input issue with BigP - should Rich ever return to this then maybe we can help with some logs or such.

The only workaround I have is thankfully the pause button works so if I get stuck I can quickly pause while resetting the controller - not ideal but its fun using the opriginal controller with this emu!

On 12/14/2022 at 8:13 AM, BeefMan said:

Just got a Jag-dapter yesterday and so far no problems.

Same here.. And I got lucky, just picked up a Jag controller locally today! Just played a 20min plus game of AvsP no problem. This fantastic emulator will bring more gamers to the Jaguar for sure. 

On 12/14/2022 at 8:22 AM, Goochman said:

Good to hear- could you post your PC info here?

Here's mine: Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz  with 16GB Ram. NVIDIA Geforce 210. Windows 10 Pro 64bit. 

• 3 months later...