IGNORED

Akka Arrh (Llamasoft for Atari) - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

This is the background story to the original arcade machine, that was not released.
https://lostmediawiki.com/Akka_Arrh_(found_prototype_of_unreleased_Atari_arcade_game;_1982)

Also the controversy talked about here...
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/04/after-a-lost-atari-rom-leaks-retro-fans-ask-was-it-stolen/

The original game is also featured in Atari 50.

• Like 2

i wouldn't believe most of the stuff about the rom being stolen.

anyways i love the game. got it on arcade 1up partycade, and 3/4 cabinet, and played it in MAME too.

it only works with a trackball.

hope they add mouse support on steam.

the consoles analog sticks and d-pads won't work very well.

later

This reimagined version by Jeff Minter looks fantastic.  In fact, this is basically what Atari should do with their arcade classics - hand them over to Jeff Minter to make them into an amazing spectacle for the new millennium.  I'd play an arcade cab of this.

The goofy trailer with the low voice is funny and interesting too.  I like the presentation like its some top secret mysterious polybius thing.

• Like 3

more coverage here;

Atari says the remake has two modes, 50 levels and saves, so you don’t have to start from the beginning when enemies inevitably overrun your Sentinel. Additionally, the company says it offers accessibility settings to tone down the trippy visuals for people sensitive to intense light, color and animations.

akka-arrh-2.large.jpg

akka-arrh-3.large.jpg

akka-arrh-4.large.jpg

akka-arrh-5.large.jpg

https://www.engadget.com/akka-arrh-remake-jeff-minter-atari-200603455.html

https://www.polygon.com/23498065/akka-arrh-jeff-minter-atari-trailer

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/12/atari-and-llamasoft-announce-akka-arrh-for-ps5-xbox-series-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/12/atari-announces-ultra-rare-arcade-shooter-akka-arrh-is-coming-to-switch

most of them say the same thing. but its good to see the coverage.

later

• Like 1

5 hours ago, negative1 said:

the company says it offers accessibility settings to tone down the trippy visuals for people sensitive to intense light, color and animations.

Glad to hear that this is a feature.  As much as I have to give Jeff Minter credit for his graphics style, it seems as though the last few years have seen them ramp up in intensity to the point where it's just difficult to play the game because there's entirely too much going on at once, at least visually.  Repeatedly being unable to discern what killed you puts a damper on the enjoyment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Glad to hear that this is a feature.  As much as I have to give Jeff Minter credit for his graphics style, it seems as though the last few years have seen them ramp up in intensity to the point where it's just difficult to play the game because there's entirely too much going on at once, at least visually.  Repeatedly being unable to discern what killed you puts a damper on the enjoyment.

I'm with you on this. I get it's been his thing for decades now, but I'm frankly tired of the style.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

i don't have a problem with any of the visuals.

that's just part of the style.

not every game is meant for everyone, or for everyones taste.

i hated playing 'geometry wars' on the xbox 360 at first, because it was too busy (although there is a classic mode),

i eventually got used to it, and really enjoyed it after awhile.

but yeah, its good to have options.

later

Maybe it's an age thing like going to night clubs when you're in your 20's but not now with middle-aged senses and taste.

I used to love (well still do) Llamasoft games from Llamatron to Tempest 2000.  Then there's the "blurry" style from T3K to Space Giraffe which is way beyond senses overload.

I like the current clean vector style of Minter's recent games on Steam including T4K, so yeah I'll enjoy this "recharged" version of Akka Arrh...

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

To piggyback on the earlier comments, looks good in general, but it really needs a "no particles" option. There's too much happening on the screen. It's a shame he's fallen hopelessly and forever in love with particle effects for 100% of his projects. It's boring at this point and I feel like in this particular case it will detract from the gameplay.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

To piggyback on the earlier comments, looks good in general, but it really needs a "no particles" option. There's too much happening on the screen. It's a shame he's fallen hopelessly and forever in love with particle effects for 100% of his projects. It's boring at this point and I feel like in this particular case it will detract from the gameplay.

But it wouldn't be Jeff Minter game without gratuitous particle effects!  (and llamas, sheep, yaks, etc)  Kind of his trademark thing.

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I like the particle effect as long as they aren't totally over the top, like some of his later works. Just too much.

I don't mind "some" of the effects with the vectorized look of Tempest 4000, so if the new game follows along that route then I'm ok with it. :grin:

Just not the "too much" stuff like for Yak's Xbox 360 games... :woozy:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like Jeff's psychedelic style, even when things get busy, because he's always careful with onboarding to make sure that even new players can hang with the game for a long time, and get a little "zoner" feeling from it. 

A long time ago, a friend told me I'm like someone who uses drugs but doesn't touch them because I like the Minter style games. Gosh, I hope I'm not having quiet epileptic seizures, or worse, when playing them. 

• Like 1