IGNORED

Spac Man

Sergioz82

Finally my game is ready!

It's called Spac-Man and it's my personal take on Pac Man mechanics. I hope you'll like it.

Throw shoes, trap the ghosts, explode bombs to leave them in spiritual underpants, chase pesky dots.. you can find these and much more inside the special question mark block!

Some features:

• Attract mode
  • 11 unique bonuses (or hindrances) that will affect the gameplay
  • 8 Mazes

Attached you will find the bin file for the FinalGrom and the user manual.

32K RAM expansion required.

The page on TI-99 Italian User Club:

https://www.ti99iuc.it/web/index.php?pageid=database_cerca&archivioid=1153#.Y5jHSXbMKUm

Spac-Man8.bin (Multilanguage)-(Manual)-(Spac-Man)-(2022)-(by_Sergio_Zanotti)-(from_ti99iuc.it).pdf

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

9 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

Nice realization and very good sound effects.
I notice that you have used a technique to bypass the problem of the 5th sprite. Which did you retained?

Thank you!

I had thought about retaining Spac Man + Bandana but that left me with only 2 sprite positions to swap that is only 1 ghost or 1 shoe, so I decided for a rotation of all sprites. I think it works fair, only in most crowded situation (Spac Man + ghosts + shoes + pesky dot on the same line) it shows its limits.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Very nice! I like the boot mechanic (and how it changes from BOOT to BOOTS to show you have multiple) and the brave choice to move the ghost box around ;)

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like the game!

The boot is a silly idea I had during game development, in first place the bonus had to be something more Rambo-related like a machine gun, but given the overall style I changed it to something more playful. 

I soon realized that moving the ghost box around is something to be done carefully, some levels became unplayable. Best example is maze 4: in early tests you couldn't even move 16 pixels before being eaten. And I still think maze 4 is the most unforgiving of the bunch.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

A cool take on the classic game.  I particularly like the "pesky dot."  Nice call-back and homage in the introduction. Very well done and performs well.

Thank you very much. The pesky dot idea came out of nothing, it just popped in my mind, I immediately knew I had to put it in the game :)

2 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Very smooth, very playable. And probably the only game using 8x8 magnified sprites 😊.

for the smoothness I have to thank you and all the users who helped me in my development thread. Without your programming advices I'm sure the game would have been clunkier.

Anyway wow, this being probably the only game with 8x8 magnified sprite is an unexpected achievement :D

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 2:30 AM, Willsy said:

SDA sprites look like 32x32 to me. Congratulations on the game - a really lovely take on the original. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

They are indeed 32x32, non-magnified. There are 6 sprites to each alien in two colors. ;) I had to rip them all for a project. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I found another interesting case.  I placed a trap in the tunnel and it split.  I never had the chance to see if it worked as I was too involved in catching a screenshot and never be back.

Clipboard02.thumb.png.61a6f23bb2affbfbc0dd81bf0361f34f.png

WAIT!  I DID COME BACK!

Clipboard01.thumb.png.dcff7b4fb78e023ae26563e1bfc36306.png

• Like 1

I updated the game to correct a couple of bugs. Here it is:

Spac-man8.bin

Please guys let me know if you find something else.

@OLD CS1

Ok, I think I have addressed the trap bugs

There were two problems:

1) The code skipped the check for the 3rd character being empty (for row counter reason it's actually the last one to be checked). To replicate the problem one must place a trap above a "T junction" of pills, that is an horizontal line crossed with a vertical one.

I use your screenshot for reference. As you can see, the 3rd trap character (from top left clockwise) in this case overwrites one pill in the vertical line so Spac Man can't eat it and therefore the pill counter will never go to zero.

image.png.a24334da898959eb27e5486ea52dd824.png

2) For the crooked trap in the tunnels I added a check for its placement, it won't be set if Spac Man position is below column 16 and above column 240

About the problem of ice maze you mentioned in the other thread, I don't understand what happens. 

The ice maze mechanics is that one can't turn Spac Man except when he's not moving. The player's input is memorized though, so when the effect is over but the player for example told Spac Man to go right he will move in that direction if he can.

Edited by Sergioz82
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sergioz82 said:

About the problem of ice maze you mentioned in the other thread, I don't understand what happens. 

The ice maze mechanics is that one can't turn Spac Man except when he's not moving. The player's input is memorized though, so when the effect is over but the player for example told Spac Man to go right he will move in that direction if he can.

That might be what happened, then.  I may get a chance to play some more over the next couple of days.  I will let you know if I stumble across anything.

• Like 1