IGNORED

Finally got my PS5, anything I should know before I set it up?

Frozone212

On 3/24/2023 at 9:43 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

That sounds... interesting. I tried rebuilding the database a while after my last post to see if it did anything, but it didn't have any effect.

Edit: tried it, but it didn't do anything.

It was worth a shot. Hopefully some day Sony will do a firmware update to address this. They are usually pretty good at fixing issues. I just checked mine and its still at 23GB so not a big deal for me but Ive heard of some people at 400+ gigs!

11 hours ago, madman said:

I picked up a 4TB SN850X and a heatsink from Amazon, I figured I'd just go all in right out of the gate. Although now with a Steam Deck and their sales prices, I'm wondering how much I'll get out of the PS5, but we'll see.

Which heatsink did you go with? For a while I thought about getting that huge one that mounts to the original cover screw. Im ok with the original one for now though.

On 3/26/2023 at 8:54 AM, Punisher5.0 said:

It was worth a shot. Hopefully some day Sony will do a firmware update to address this. They are usually pretty good at fixing issues. I just checked mine and its still at 23GB so not a big deal for me but Ive heard of some people at 400+ gigs!

WTF 400GB?! That leaves only like 287GB or something, right? That's really bad.

I also noticed that my controller seems to have coil whine. Never had that on a controller before that I can remember. Not really a big deal, but that's probably about as unexpected as the "other" storage being so large.

On 2/17/2023 at 9:51 AM, SpiceWare said:

Refund has been requested, new order in with an ETA of Sunday.

Still no refund. Checked online, status said the refund will occur when they received the package. Difficult to return it myself as I never received the initial order.

Tried the online help, no luck.

Then tried the other option, "call me". The automated system decided I was talking about the replacement order that I did received, so asked if I wanted to ship that back. Could not get it to understand I was talking about the initial order so started saying things like "help", "talk to human", etc. to no avail.

Ended up hitting 0 a bunch of times and was finally able to ge thru to a real person. Was able to explain it to her and she processed the refund request manually. Received an email update on the call, confirms the refund was requested and that it should appear on my statement in 3-5 business days.

On 3/27/2023 at 7:55 AM, Punisher5.0 said:

Which heatsink did you go with? For a while I thought about getting that huge one that mounts to the original cover screw. Im ok with the original one for now though.

I went w/the Sabrent version that specified it's for PS5, has 5 stars with over 5,000 reviews so I figured it's a safe bet. Haven't popped it in yet, though.

6 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I seem to have found out how to get rid of the "other" storage: delete PS4 games. It seems that having PS4 games installed increases the "other" storage and deleting them will decrease it. Since I have almost nothing but PS4 games, it seems this is the reason that I have so much "other" storage.

Ive heard of this too but I have no PS4 games on the internal storage and ive crept up to 24GB now. All the PS4 games are now on the M.2 storage and the "other" there is at 49MB. I could be wrong but I think it might be more complicated than that.

6 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Ive heard of this too but I have no PS4 games on the internal storage and ive crept up to 24GB now. All the PS4 games are now on the M.2 storage and the "other" there is at 49MB. I could be wrong but I think it might be more complicated than that.

I really wish Sony would actually tell people about this storage and how to get rid of it. Maybe I will delete all of my PS4 games and see what happens out of curiosity.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2023 at 9:56 AM, SpiceWare said:

I plan to start out with 2 PS5 games (besides the Ragnarök that comes bundled with it).

• Ratchet & Clank, been wanting that since early 2021
  • Atari 50. I wasn't originally interested in this, but have heard good things about it like how interesting all the behind the scenes stuff is.

Noticed Atari 50 is on sale thru July 6th, so I finally got it.  It's 20% off, or 30% off if you have Playstation Plus.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/26/2023 at 7:59 PM, madman said:

I picked up a 4TB SN850X and a heatsink from Amazon, I figured I'd just go all in right out of the gate. Although now with a Steam Deck and their sales prices, I'm wondering how much I'll get out of the PS5, but we'll see.

Good move. I already completely filled my PS5, it has about 7 TB available and all used. I am waiting for NAND flash prices to decline tho, probably go from 2 TB to 8 TB.