IGNORED

What are your TI-99 (or TI-99-adjacent) plans or resolutions for 2023?

pixelpedant

19 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Some of my boxes might just get split up between you and @acadiel at some point.

I know the box problem quite well. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed was happy today (for a few seconds at least) when she figured out that my holiday soldering work had reached a stopping point. When I explained that there was still a component stuffing step to fill the sockets and a testing step to verify full functionality, her mirth dissipated, as she was initially hoping those things were ready to go out the door. . .

• Haha 1

First time my desk has been clear in a year.

20230102_222132.thumb.JPG.82c82a26fdb42c3a521a3fb681cb9175.JPG

Of course, I am still sorting through most of it.  The stack of papers on the left is incomplete invoices so I can bill for this month.  The stack on the right is mostly receipts that need to be scanned and filed, among other papers and what-not which need the same treatment.

20230102_222038.thumb.JPG.3da3299a656aedbcc9243afe7f32633e.JPG

Then the hardware which was mixed in is left in the box.  I need to sort out the USB cables and toss what I have too many of and stash what I need to keep where I need to keep them.

20230102_222016.thumb.JPG.2b9ee83ba1c1623cc2fe3349bac2ceca.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Then the hardware which was mixed in is left in the box.  I need to sort out the USB cables and toss what I have too many of and stash what I need to keep where I need to keep them

My wife is good about organizing things, so I asked her for ideas.  She bought me a few boxes of ziploc bags in different sizes, all with the slider 'mechanism'. Over the holidays, I made a lot of progress sorting the PC cables and parts, kept the ones I wanted, and donated/recycled/trashed the rest.  I still have the mix-and-match containers in the garage that contain parts from the 80s forward; I'll save that for a winter "archaeological dig" adventure ;)   Those plastic tubs make for some great layering. 

• Like 1

I had a milestone birthday and a lot of life upheaval in 2022, so my goal for 2023 is to get all these half-finished projects out into the world once and for all.  I wrote myself a release schedule and everything.  We'll see if it sticks.  It's frustrating to go back to a project, realize you got it 80% done before you walked away from it, and then it takes so long to get the thread of what you were doing to get back into that headspace.

In a perfect world, I'd knock out about ten games this year, get them 'off the books' and then get to work on a bigger, more ambitious project I have had kicking around for a few years now.  We shall see.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I don't do resolutions, but I am joining the TI99 community again for the first time since the 80's.

I can blame @pixelpedant and his dang Youtube channel.  When I first watched a couple of his videos I'm like "who's this guy meticulously (pedantically, you might say ;) ) reviewing these ancient TI games, putting in all this effort for a few hundred views!!?  Fast forward a year or so and I've watched them all, and noticed the view counts edging up into the thousands. All that inspired me to revisit my TI99 ambitions from back in the day. I was hobbled by my budget, meaning I had an unexpanded console with speech and XB. Eventually got a mini-memory too.  Always wanted to write the cool games but could never get past a demo screen or two because just wasn't fast enough.

Anyway, I'm currently pursuing a game I've always wanted to implement on the TI, now targeting Assembly Language, and loving every moment of it. Been coding most of my life, thanks to that early start on the TI, but there is something very enjoyable about the comparative simplicity of this platform.

It would be nice if I could finish it this year, but I'm not counting on it. It's been almost 40 years, what's another year or two?  :)

Edited by retrodroid
  • Like 8

Welcome back @retrodroid

I too am a returner. I find that even after a 40 year absence, some things haven't changed. In particular, my mindset.

On the other hand, we have a new generation of developers and an older generation using new generation tools that are running circles around anything I could ever have imagined 40 years ago. Often, I just have to sit in awe of what I see here.

Ebay is my worst enemy. Every time I see a TI99 setup that I think I can get for $50 or less (shipping included), I'm compelled to bid on it. Unfortunately for my slush fund, I have managed to win a few auctions, not always in my best interest. One $25 free shipping unit ended up costing me several hundred dollars by the time I finished buying test equipment, better de-soldering tools, and developing my Raspberry Pi microscope. Not to mention all the chips and sockets. I don't regret a penny of it though.

Anyway, welcome back to the rabbit hole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/29/2022 at 5:30 PM, Tursi said:

A couple of test programs that I used in the past. TI9900_CPU_Test.txt is one I wrote specifically to get Classic99's CPU up to snuff. It's not perfect, we still fixed bugs after the fact, but it exercises every instruction at least once and tells you what it found wrong. Used it to compare to real hardware - if you pass this, you should be able to run. If you don't, it should tell you why not!

Thanks for this.  My emulator currently only handles cartridges so I had to make add a loader in cart space.  And sure enough, it revealed that my JHE was incorrectly jump if high AND equal. 🤜😆 The next hurdle was XOP, and with that it passes the test.  I finished multicolor mode (that everybody wants) and 5th sprite per line detection, and finally it can run the megademo.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

So far I built two arcade sticks with 6 action buttons and a 20 key keypad that connects to the keyboard connector. I also replaced the coffee warmer with an external Meanwell PT45-A, added an internal speaker, reset and LOAD switch, "turbo" switch and crystal mod, a freeze switch and made my stackpole keyboard detached and did the alpha lock fix.

Edited by sikotik
forgot item
  • Like 3

I got one thing done already for 2023, with Amanda doing lots of work next to me:

Empty out small storage shed. Clean clean clean. 

Assemble 3 steel shelf units. 
Move every bit of computer stuff from garage to shed. 
More or less sorted!

One shelf unit of TI stuff, one for Apple II & Mac, one for everything else. 

Next up in 2019: replace all the dodgy electrical wiring out there. Someday...

• Like 2

• 10 months later...