IGNORED

Ever buy a game console, just to play a certain game?

Corby

18 minutes ago, fiddlepaddle said:

One more (in a corollary universe); I bought a VCR to record Star Trek the Next Generation off the air.

I still have "All Good Things..." on tape from when it first aired 🖖

Edited by 128Kgames
  • Like 1

I recorded the first five years but couldn't after that because I moved to a place where I couldn't tune it in. So, I watched those tapes many time until I eventually got the DVDs about 10 years ago and it was like all of a sudden having two brand new seasons to watch of a 20 year old show I loved. It was great.

Then I moved again and decided to offload all those VHS tapes. The thrift store didn't want to know what was recorded on them because they just wanted to label them as "recordable tapes" for reuse to avoid issues with selling copyright materials. I always wondered if anyone was interested in the recordings (lots of other good shows, as well).
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 9:03 PM, Tanooki said:

They intentionally nerfed the Windows version for I believe nearly 2 years after release and then fixed it up.  The PC version had bad fps, bugs, inconsistent speeds, a laundry list of problems that miraculously the so much more amazing xbox could do that the PC (hah) could not.  I have had the PC version off and on over the years only getting it after the patch conveniently came out after/around when Halo 2 dropped when they didn't care anymore.  With the fixes it's the best release of the thing over the console one, but before that point the PC version was a dumpster fire.

The history I remember is Bungie (Of Marathon for Mac fame) was making the "greatest FPS ever" for PC (according to gaming magazines and articles of the time).  Then Microsoft bought them to make it an exclusive for the upcoming Xbox.  Then 2 years later they released it for PC. 

And topic related, I also bought a Jaguar to play Tempest 2000.

• Like 1

My friend and I were so absolutely excited about the ColecoVision. Donkey Kong did look so goddamn cool on it. It's probably one of the only systems I've bought brand new in my life at the young age of about 13. 

And I too pick up the Kinhank system that looks like a small NES. It does have a gazillion systems and is nice that it's kind of plug N play configured for ya. It's great on the living room 65" TV. Good Lord who would have thought in the 80's we'd have some magical devices that could play all the games/cartridges we could ever imagine. 

• Like 2

^I could see that.  In the big picture of things Colecovision had it been from a bigger better company even with an identical product to start I think it could have stuck in there, it didn't have to fail.  The thing is, when you get right down to it, it's very much more in common than not with the Famicom, it's the western worlds Famicom before Famicom became the NES as far as audio visual quality and the rest with the types of games it could handle, it had good really good potential.  When I got online in the mid 90s when emulation was a baby, an early thing that dropped that wasn't Nintendo was a coleco emulator before much else and a full dump more or less of the games it had too.  I played the crap out of it, it was eye opening just how similar it was to like first year or two Nintendo product and I enjoyed it, a lot.  I always felt if I ever would find a non-beat system at my feet and priced well, I'd grab it.  I've rarely come across them, every time but one they looked like they were left in a barn or used as a toilet for roaches, and the one, was a clown shop wanting a local buyers up charge from ebay which is a no fly zone for me ever.  I could see many many reasons back in 1983 why anyone would buy that system more than anything on the market as it stood out as did the games and versions of games it had over others, mind you, largely the licensed goodies which is why that flashback sucked, many gems held away.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2023 at 9:25 PM, NE146 said:

Nah man I'm from Guam/Saipan. :) 

Hah! I've been to both those places.  I was in the US Navy, on a nuclear sub, from 90-96. I was stationed at Pearl Harbor, HI.  Every time we deployed to the Pacific we stopped in Guam, so I've been there *MANY* times(probably 20 or so stops) and have explored much of the island.  Heck, my wife even flew out from Hawaii when we were first married and I had extra leave to burn, and spent a week with me.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

I specifically bought a 3DO back on the day for Star Control II. Liked it on PC but I absolutely loved it on the 3DO. Managed to get one used for $300 roughly around 1995-1996. To this day it's the only reason I would ever have a 3DO... and now with Ur-Quan Masters I guess that's no longer necessary.

Oh, damn..I completely forgot about the 3DO.  I never had one or played it. I only knew one person who had it that was on my sub in the Navy.  He was married and so had an actual house instead of just a dorm/barracks room like us single guys and he collected every...and I mean EVERY console you could get your hands on back in the day.  Hell, he even had one of those ludicrously priced NEO GEO consoles with the jet pack sized cartridges.  He had 3DO and I saw it once. 

One question I had, is that game Star Control or perhaps it was Star Controll II.  I *DO* remember those games a ton, as it seemed liver everyone in the dorm/barracks was playing it *except* me.  But I know it wasn't for the 3DO as no on really had it.  Most people had Sega Genesis or Super NES.  (This was about 1992-93 when I was living in the dorms. ).  Do you happen to know what platform made it huge?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

One question I had, is that game Star Control or perhaps it was Star Controll II.  I *DO* remember those games a ton, as it seemed liver everyone in the dorm/barracks was playing it *except* me.  But I know it wasn't for the 3DO as no on really had it.  Most people had Sega Genesis or Super NES.  (This was about 1992-93 when I was living in the dorms. ).  Do you happen to know what platform made it huge?

The original Star Control was a popular game on various 8- and 16-bit computers, and was also released on the Genesis early on in its lifecycle. I wouldn't exactly call it huge, but certainly a known game. Star Control II is considered one of the 3DO's stand-out titles and is often said to be the definitive version (I'd have to agree - I made a special point of adding it to my 3DO collection despite the relatively high cost). It's only other back-in-the-day release was for PC DOS a few years before the 3DO version, which again, it did well on, but I'd hardly call making it huge. So I'd say from a gamer standpoint, the 3DO edition is the one most people think of and hold up as the version to have of all of the games in the series.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

The original Star Control was a popular game on various 8- and 16-bit computers, and was also released on the Genesis early on in its lifecycle. I wouldn't exactly call it huge, but certainly a known game. Star Control II is considered one of the 3DO's stand-out titles and is often said to be the definitive version (I'd have to agree - I made a special point of adding it to my 3DO collection despite the relatively high cost). It's only other back-in-the-day release was for PC DOS a few years before the 3DO version, which again, it did well on, but I'd hardly call making it huge. So I'd say from a gamer standpoint, the 3DO edition is the one most people think of and hold up as the version to have of all of the games in the series.

Ahh that makes sense. I think what I remember is in 93/94 when the first pentium PC's were coming out and a lot of my buddies were swapping out their consoles for PC gaming.  That's probably what they were playing.  Again, only because no one had a 3DO that I shared the dorms with.  

• Like 1

I bought a Sega Genesis to purchase and play Streets of Rage 2.   It quickly became my favorite system of that generation. Streets of Rage 2 is still my favorite game of all time on that console.

• Like 1

In the late 2016 I traded a boxed complete N64 for a Dreamcast with a handful of games. So not technically bought, but traded... I really wanted that Dreamcast (it is not so common in Belgium) just to have Shenmue I & II. And oh boy! I was  hooked since then. I completed those games three times now 🙌

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...