IGNORED

Express! Cart

Bikerbob

Hey guys, trying to get this working again.

Atari 800 with Incognito, setup for a rambo 1088mb  - I can use sparta DOS or something else. I have SDrive-max for files. 850 interface with UDS-10 to connect.

I am getting the  driver to load from RS232.com in Sparta or the 850  - but express! cart is always stuck on loading configuration file.. cant get past.. the only setup I can get past is if I use a SIO2PC to APE software.

ANyone help??

James

Since you can get past the configuration when you use SIO2PC+APE, this may not apply... but I thought I'd share it anyway:

@moonlight_mile could not get past the following screen when he first got his Express Cart:

EB4151B2-2896-4CE6-BFEF-375ED0E32EB2.jpeg

He had to re-seat the eprom in his cartridge. He concluded...
"One of the pins on the eprom was a little bent over and not in the socket. Straightened that out and now I can access the dial list."

You may want to make sure the eprom is seated correctly in your cartridge if you haven't already done that.

-JP

1 hour ago, JohnPolka said:

@Bikerbob
Did you at least visually inspect the PROM to make sure it's seated correctly? That was the point of my message. It seems a poorly seated PROM causes strange behavior/lockups. :)

-JP

Yes I did JP, I reseated it as well, tried my APE SIO2PC setup again - had not done it since last time (weeks ago) I got it working.. and now I get the same thing.. So its not specific to the SDrive.. but I assume it is looking for a config file in a drive. I would have assumed it being a cart, it would not rely on it having a diskdrive to work.. if it did not find a config file it would just use a default config.

Weird.

James

4 hours ago, Atari8guy said:

I had to delete my config file once, it became corrupted and behaved like your image - just crashing on that screen.  But since then no worries and thanks to bf2k+ for helping me out with that.

ok, but I have never had a config file.. so where does that put me? As far as I can tell, the cart does not even try and access a drive? So I am not sure whats going on there.

Edited by Bikerbob

On 1/1/2023 at 10:03 AM, Bikerbob said:

So, does anyone using the Express Cart use it with an an Atari 800??   if you do could you post? I would like to eliminate that the computer itself is an issue.

James

Well, I guess I should specify that I have an 800 with an Incognito in it.. like a U1MB + side cart all in one.. So.. I can set the system to be any Rom and any Ram size.. so really this 800 SHOULD work. 

• Like 1

Only thing I can think of without having access to my 800+incog or the express! cart that you speak of is that Candle told me a while ago (years), that there was a cart issue that required a bypass be added onto the 800. I forget why, but he said without it, some carts may have issues. I totally forget what SPECIFICALLY he was referring too, and at the time it didn't effect me, so I never bothered to research it further.

Maybe you already know what I'm talking bout, and this message is of no help. In which case, my apologies. I could search thru my history and see if I can find some reference if you're desperate.

-A.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

Well, I guess I should specify that I have an 800 with an Incognito in it.. like a U1MB + side cart all in one.. So.. I can set the system to be any Rom and any Ram size.. so really this 800 SHOULD work. 

if using an incognitio, what is in your first ROM slot?

in fact your complete config might need to be seen to figure out what's going on.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 2:13 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

if using an incognitio, what is in your first ROM slot?

in fact your complete config might need to be seen to figure out what's going on.

OK, I have a 800 incognito I have an 850 to a UDS-10 then to either a S-Drive Max for disk access. OR I could do a tower of Floppy drives I have.  

I know this system works, because I have used it successfully with BOBTERM loaded from the S-Drive Max.   SO its an issue with how the Express cart is using.

As for the Profile on the 800 - see attached photos - I have tried with SpartaDos and with disk based MyDos or Dos 2.5 etc..

20230107_114232.jpg

20230107_114222.jpg

On 1/7/2023 at 12:54 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

try setting memory to 128K and see what that does.

make sure high speed sio patches etc are off just as a test.

did you do the phi mod for the cart port during your' incognito installation?

Im not sure, the wording Phi mod, does not mean anything to me.

James

@Bikerbob

still might be incognito issue, make sure you are using the latest jed and latest firmware flash.

as to phi/ras this has always been noted, and there are select resistors to change as well on flakier combinations, I happily have done both and never had a return over such issues.

last issue to consider is a defect in the cartridge itself, so look that over as well.

anyway here's a quick two second AA search, certainly there are better write ups but this is the gist of it.

https://forumsavailable.atariage.com/topic/308697-48k-atari-400-upgrades-/?do=findComment&comment=4578677

claus b also mentions the resistors...  do both and you should be bullet proof from the 800's stand point... incognito updates often help with everything else.

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

@Bikerbob

still might be incognito issue, make sure you are using the latest jed and latest firmware flash.

as to phi/ras this has always been noted, and there are select resistors to change as well on flakier combinations, I happily have done both and never had a return over such issues.

last issue to consider is a defect in the cartridge itself, so look that over as well.

anyway here's a quick two second AA search, certainly there are better write ups but this is the gist of it.

https://forumsavailable.atariage.com/topic/308697-48k-atari-400-upgrades-/?do=findComment&comment=4578677

claus b also mentions the resistors...  do both and you should be bullet proof from the 800's stand point... incognito updates often help with everything else.

I always update the firmware, I am on the latest.. I have never had any issue with the 800 outside of this .. it works fantastic, as for the cart.. it works in the 800xl on the Sio2pc using the APE modem.  no issues.

James

ps - cant get your link to work.

pss - found the thread, read it, I dont think I did it. Unless it was in updated incognito install directions. I got mine around 2018

Edited by Bikerbob

@ClausB, looking for your write up on using 1k resistors instead of 680 in the 800 to ensure uno carts et al work... can you find or reconstruct a step by step here?

Pull down resistors on the RAM deselect lines in the 800 are 680 Ohm where on the XLs they are 1K, replacing them fixes unocart etc.

as to the non working link... just AtariAge doing what it does best that link was from the three dots share, and of course it failed...

https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/thecart/atari-800-fix

Edited by _The Doctor__

35 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

as to the non working link... just AtariAge doing what it does best that link was from the three dots share, and of course it failed...

I took a look at that post and used the share link, and it was correct. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 7.46.59 PM.png

Can you try it again to see if you can reproduce? 

..Al

one of the things that it appears AA does is substitute forumsavailable in place of forums in the urls stuff like that, seems to randomly pick whichever way it wants to do things at that time.

links for 'did you know?' trivia haven't been squared away for last few updates. Issue tracker etc. has most of the stuff in it already as did the thread that was for such stuff. At one time I used to put observations in both those places for attention. Hopefully the list is still there. Pretty sure enough people point things out enough and I don't feel like becoming 'Polly' the parrot.

the whole internal number external number shuffle for topics/posts/messages have made it a bit of a beast for you and I don't have a good idea why invision did such things unless it's proprietary to your database etc.

caught your post to I went to the message, I'll paste and see if it works this time.

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/308697-48k-atari-400-upgrades-available/?do=findComment&comment=4578677

worked both ways at this moment, I'll click and see if it takes me to the message or just the topic beginning or ending

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 minute ago, _The Doctor__ said:

one of the things that it appears AA does is substitute forumsavailable in place of forums in the urls stuff like that, seems to randomly pick whichever way it wants to do things at that time.

Again, I'm going to need discrete examples of this, it looks more like you accidentally copied the word "available" (which is part of that specific url because of the title of the post) into another portion of the URL.  I've never seen that share link fail.  I'm not saying it isn't, but you're the first person to bring this up.  If it is an issue, I need examples I can show Invision (and preferably ones that can be reproduced) so they can investigate and fix it.

2 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

links for 'did you know?' trivia haven't been squared away for last few updates.

This has nothing to do with the forum, but that's an easy fix, which I will do tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Issue tracker etc. has most of the stuff in it already as did the thread that was for such stuff.

The issue tracker was a separate third-party application that was abandoned by the developer, I just need to remove any links to it.  I can't do anything if the developer abandons an application and there are no (unfortunately) suitable replacements.

4 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Pretty sure enough people point things out enough and I don't feel like becoming 'Polly' the parrot.

A bunch of things fell through the cracks after the upgrade in the summer, as I was pretty busy getting ready for PRGE.  But I have been going back and fixing items more recently as I have time.  It was critical that I get the forum upgraded when I did, and now it's a bit easier for me to keep on top of those upgrades.  Although the last upgrade didn't go very well, sometimes things go wrong and that was completely out of my control.  I will be upgrading the forum again very soon (possibly this week), which will fix the duplicate emails the forum sometime sends out (which was an issue I reported to Invision and they fixed, and it was one that didn't just affect AtariAge).

5 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

the whole internal number external number shuffle for topics/posts/messages have made it a bit of a beast for you and I don't have a good idea why invision did such things unless it's proprietary to your database etc.

If you're talking about the post number that used to be displayed next to posts, that used to be a built-in feature.  But Invision removed it years ago, as those numbers are not absolute.  If posts are hidden or deleted, or threads are merged or split, the post numbers in the thread will change (sometimes significantly, especially for topic merges and splits).  I did previously use a third-party plugin that restored this number, but that doesn't fix the underlying problem.  The best thing to do is to use a link directly to the post, such as what you did above.  That will always work and direct you to the proper post.  The number you see in such URLs, "#comment-5186908" for instance, refers to the actual post ID in the database and will not change.

Thank you,

..Al

5 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

okay so it takes me to the end of the topic not to the message this time, but the numbers and links look correct.

That link works fine for me, it takes me directly to the specific post in that topic.  What specifically are you clicking on?  The embedded post box (that appears when you paste a link to another thread in the forum) has several different links.  What browser/OS are you using?

..Al

Windows 10, FireFox, latest updates they push always automatic.

only difference I now see between the browser url and the forums share is the # sing in place of ?do=findComment&

otherwise they are the same

Edited by _The Doctor__