IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

What's wrong with my printer? I've done multiple 'cleanings' but color prints look like crap. Is there an easy fix?

Little blue marks and smudges... eeeeck!

On a serious note, what kind of printer? I have an HP Pro series printer which has individual color tanks and replaceable print heads. A lot of consumer printers have the print heads built into the ink cartridge.

And, of course tonight while printing photos my black/yellow print head decides to stop printing. I am going to try to unclog it... I hate having to buy these things. I would "upgrade" to one of the newer models (this one is ten years old) but none of the new ones have all the features I use, and WebOS on the printers tends to go to sleep and not wake up. I have a nice color laser, maybe I can print photos on that...

Get a laser printer.

I have a color laserjet 3600 i got at the local recycling place for 75 bucks. Came with tonor that lasted me about 2 years printing invoices every week for the store plus photos etc. Replacement tonor is not cheap but so far it's every few years vs few months for ink. I got a cheap brother duplex bw laser there also for mailing labels and tonor for it is 20$ on eBay.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have never had a problem with pigment ink drying up in my printer. Even after 10 years everything is clean from the tanks to the print heads. I am fairly certain the cleaning system is what is gunking up my heads, so I plan to tear it down and clean all that. I did a price comparison based upon the extended capacity ink tanks I use versus color toner and the pricing for the yield is roughly equal with favor toward the inkjet. I will be keeping this format for a while as it prints fantastic photos. I cannot find 4x6 photo paper for the laser printer but, though not ideal, I might could print on card stock instead.

I think the video is funny, - and scary. I’m still wondering if it’s all true. Anyways, I went through much the same process. There’s literally and physically hundreds of different cartridges in many stores.

We went for laser printers years ago. I still have an ink on my desk. I was replacing ink cartridges quite often. I found original cartridges at a good price. They looked good and all. I believe they were the real thing.

So, I didn't actually need color - I was mostly printing black and white every now and then. But the color ink cartridges seemed to need replacement quite often. I spent many hours to try and hack the problem, but the printer wouldn't operate (without the color). So now it’s just a convenient scanner, though I’m taking pictures with the mobile more and more. I may have to skip it, the ink printer, it’s like it’s kind of sitting there, laughing at me ...

My mom still has an ink printer. Last time, she went to the library and printed (laser) what she needed in black and white at about 20 cents per page. Well, next time she asks me for printer support, I guess the easy way out is to let her watch those 12 minutes on YouTube.

Edited by sometimes99er

On a serious note, what kind of printer? I have an HP Pro series printer which has individual color tanks and replaceable print heads. A lot of consumer printers have the print heads built into the ink cartridge.

It's an HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M477fdn, that why I'm a little miffed. I finally went laser nearly two years ago after going through three inkjet printers in four years and a kings ransom in ink purchases. It's worked fine up to now...

It's an HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M477fdn, that why I'm a little miffed. I finally went laser nearly two years ago after going through three inkjet printers in four years and a kings ransom in ink purchases. It's worked fine up to now...

Bad tonor or fuser..

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah definitely a fuser replacement. Happens after a certain number of print jobs on the consumer level HP's. Usually about 2-3 years on the newer HP models from my experience. It will eventually worsen over each print run.

• Like 1

Chiming in with others on the fuser.

You might be able to get away with running a laser printer cleaning sheet through a time or two.

I'll look into those! I heard a years ago that those sheets could damage the fuser unit in HP printers, but I've not yet confirmed that. If it turns out to be false information, I'll probably buy a package. I was able to get rid of the dots by wiping the rollers on the toner cartridges (which are only 6 months old and hovering at 50%), but as you can see from the attached scan, I'm still getting the 'banding'.

post-35324-0-15814500-1551973531_thumb.jpg

I had not heard about the cleaning sheets until recently. As with anything, YMMV. I used them before on the 4050 to clean up some minor problems and it worked. Still using the same fuser I bought for it in 2006. Newer models may be different, though.

This is HP's method for cleaning a laser printer.

• Like 1

Thanks, already been to that page, that's why I no longer have the dots printing up! ;-)

Sad thing is, I've only printed a few thousand images in total with the printer, but it could be my fault, as I've sent a fair amount of card and cover stock through it over the past year or so.

I found << THESE >> cleaning sheets online at Staples. But the user reviews on the product are all over the map...

post-35324-0-59738100-1551979494.jpg

Just ordered my TiPi and Raspberry Pi 3b+ from greg's store. :-D

I had already ordered the case for the Pi last week, and it had just got here this morning.

It was sold as a clear acrylic case, but when i opened the package the two outer layers of the case are coated in some sort of cardboard-like lining?

Am i suppose to peel that off somehow? I don't see a "peel here" label or anything like that.
post-64087-0-36209200-1551990534_thumb.jpgpost-64087-0-75639500-1551990518_thumb.jpgpost-64087-0-68177400-1551990522.jpg

Just ordered my TiPi and Raspberry Pi 3b+ from greg's store. icon_biggrin.gif

I had already ordered the case for the Pi last week, and it had just got here this morning.

It was sold as a clear acrylic case, but when i opened the package the two outer layers of the case are coated in some sort of cardboard-like lining?

Am i suppose to peel that off somehow? I don't see a "peel here" label or anything like that.

attachicon.gifbox1.jpgattachicon.gifbox2.jpgattachicon.gifboxside.jpg

yep all acrylic you get has that protective paper on it, you just peal it off.. it may take a fingernail or screwdriver on the corner just don't scratch the acrylic

Back on the topic of VPNs for a second, an interesting article was posted a while back on a weakness in VPNs which could still leak information. Specifically, DNS queries could "leak" locally or through the local ISP which could still mark your tracks. I had forgotten about this until today when I found connecting to my home office network VPN through SecureMe I could not resolve any machines in the office via the in-house DNS server.

After a little testing I found the VPN client is capturing all DNS queries and routing them to the VPN service, including queries which would normally traverse the nested VPN tunnel to the office.

Interesting. I don't care about covering any tracks, because I'm not doing anything nefarious. The only reason I got the VPN is to appear like I'm in another country so providers like Netflix don't block me from content I want to see.

What is really interesting is when you are using a port in Hong Kong, London or wherever and you sign into Google, it does NOT want to let you in unless you also verify it's you via your cellphone.