IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

1 hour ago, senior_falcon said:

However, the typical top speed of a stock Grom with a 125cc engine is generally around 55 to 60 mph.

Meanwhile, I cannot set the cruise control on my car over 90 mph. :(

After moving to ban TikTok in the US, the federal government could target the China-based DJI next. A report from The New York Times highlights a bill advanced by the House of Energy and Commerce Committee last month that could ground DJI’s fleet of drones across the country.

If passed, the Countering CCP Drones Act would add DJI drones to the FCC’s list of equipment covered by the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act of 2019. This bars communications equipment or services that “pose a national security risk” from running on US networks. It also prevents companies from using federal funding to purchase banned equipment. Chinese companies such as Huawei and ZTE are already included on the FCC’s list.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/26/24141369/dji-ban-china-countering-ccp-drones-act

vpavic_20240407_Untitled_Job_11415.jpg

On 4/23/2024 at 2:36 AM, OLD CS1 said:

BTW, if you ever subscribe to HP's Instant Ink program, reports are that the printer firmware is irrevocably modified and you can never unsubscribe the printer.  As well, if you have any of the subbed ink in reserve and cancel your subscription, all of that unused ink becomes invalid.

Never let your printer have access to the Internet, unless your really neeeeeed that functionality.  I have my printers on a VLAN, and they are blocked at the firewall.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2024 at 8:06 PM, jrhodes said:

FB_IMG_1714413903286.thumb.jpg.e320a998489244b89beacc7ccf47f87b.jpg

What I recently learned from some videos on Youtube is that the older Amish speak in a German dialect that is surprisingly well understandable for us even today, in particular for me, since my home dialect (Hessian) is related to their original dialect from the Palatinate ("Pfalz", "pfälzisch"). The language is named "Pennsylvanian Dutch", but the word "Dutch" is not used in today's sense (from the Netherlands) but probably coined from how they name it, "Pennsilfaanisch Deutsch".

• Like 3

You can now play games on LinkedIn...

They are trying hard to make it a social site!

Games have brought people together for centuries, and LinkedIn is joining in on the fun. LinkedIn News is introducing three games — Pinpoint, Queens and Crossclimb — that aim to spark conversations and friendly competition among professionals around the world. Word games in particular have only grown in popularity since the first “word-cross” puzzle was introduced 111 years ago, with a projected annual growth rate of 8.61%.

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/linkedin-news-introduces-games-6715874/

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

You can now play games on LinkedIn...

They are trying hard to make it a social site!

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/linkedin-news-introduces-games-6715874/

LinkedIn ceased being a serious platform two seconds before Microsoft bought it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

@Tursi could do something similar: Clipboard credits. You get 10 a day. Everytime you paste from clipboard or save to the CLIP device, you use a credit. Attempting to use the clipboard functions when out of credits throws a error. Buy more credits for $ .50 each 😉

Or Arcade Classic99, each time you load a new game cartridge you get 3 free plays per week once it's game over within the cartridge after you die 3 times you have to buy more credits, or wait until next week. Bring back the quarter coin slots virtually!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jrhodes said:

@Tursi could do something similar: Clipboard credits. You get 10 a day. Everytime you paste from clipboard or save to the CLIP device, you use a credit. Attempting to use the clipboard functions when out of credits throws a error. Buy more credits for $ .50 each 😉

Frig, I'd go broke paying myself! ;)

Must be a good idea!

• Haha 2

The story of the man who almost accidentally spoiled the US Army plan to eliminate Osama Bin Laden with a tweet, 13 years ago #Today.

With a couple of software projects on the go, Sohaib Athar was making the most of the late-night calm to get some work done.

As his wife and son slept, he heard the whir and chop of rotor blades above the two-story house where they lived. Strange, he thought, for an aircraft to be flying so low over a residential area at this hour. He checked the time: it was well past midnight.

Abbottabad, a former colonial garrison town nestled in the green hills of northern Pakistan, is a small city known for its trees, parks and the country’s top military academy.

Athar and his family moved there in 2009 to get away from the heat, grime and occasional terrorist attacks in Lahore, a traffic-clogged metropolis on the plains of Punjab.

And he didn’t know it then, but with that one sentence, he had become the first person to report on a blockbuster news story that would grip the world.

20240502_153400.jpg