IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

46 minutes agoOmega-TIsaid:

I hate it when that happens...|:) I used to occasionally drive over a certain spillway at night. Once, I caught one... most of the way across ...had to drive slow, keep distance, 'cause... I know if they get too nervous, they'll ...jump off!:-o

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Omega-TI said:

Well this is interesting.... the Internet is out in my home for some reason, so I had to link the network to my cell phone to get my AtariAge fix.

I've had similar issues.  My line is 2 miles long.  They put in probably 2000' feet of new line along the Hwy approaching my lane on one service call this spring, then about 3 weeks ago, stretched another 500' of line from my box down by the road to the house, then as of this past Monday, ran line over the Hwy to my road thinking there were issues under the Hwy.

I'm getting about 7 MBPS down and about 0.5 up for right now.  This is all through AT&T.  They have probably spent between 30 and 40 man hours in the past 4 months trying to solve the problem.  The service guy on Monday doing the 8 hr service call told be about Wireless Internet if they can reach a cell tower.  Supposed to get 10 MBPS minimum, with 20 - 30 possible with 1 MBPS up.  They are supposed to be coming out tomorrow to evaluate and install if they can get a good signal from my place.

I will actually end up saving some money after the installation fee ($99).

I hate with only 1 MBPS, but that is one of few downsides living in the country.  When I was on Spectrum, I could upload a 3 GB file for YouTube in just a couple of hours when I lived in town before I bought the house after I relocated with a new job.  Now, that same file upload experience is 2 to 3 days...…..

Beery

2 minutes ago, BeeryMiller said:

Now, that same file upload experience is 2 to 3 days...…..

Wow!  That is what I call perseverance! :-o  I don't think I'd ever upload another YouTube video if it took that long.

I live out in the toolies as well, so I'm stuck with DSL and this is my average...

SPEED.thumb.JPG.03dce1bb5fd3936594445a8bbe00ce5a.JPG

... I'm supposed to get 12Mbps, but it never seems to work out that way.

29 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

Wow!  That is what I call perseverance! :-o  I don't think I'd ever upload another YouTube video if it took that long.

I live out in the toolies as well, so I'm stuck with DSL and this is my average...

SPEED.thumb.JPG.03dce1bb5fd3936594445a8bbe00ce5a.JPG

... I'm supposed to get 12Mbps, but it never seems to work out that way.

Here's mine ;-)

speed.thumb.png.da72a0b902ef021139d8fef75f1d5656.png

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

Bloody Awesome!  Are you sitting right on top of a Fiber Optic line next to a major hub?

I don't know about the hub, but it's a fiber alright. We could also get 1000 Mbps if we paid for it. But actually the change from our old ~11 Mbps ADSL wasn't that noticeable, except when I upload to YouTube.

• Like 2

It's fascinating how the Japanese language imported so many western words and changed them slightly. The unstressed "u" is barely audible, so when they say "miruku", it sounds like "mirk". Considering that all the eastern Asian languages have trouble keeping "L" and "R" apart, you can recognize the word "milk" again. The same is true for "arukoru" -> "arkor" -> "alko(ho)l", "sutābakkasu" -> "stābaks" -> "Starbucks".

They also know the word "arubeito", which is a direct descendent of German "Arbeit" (work, job).

50 minutes ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

Epson handheld computer.
I was clicking through classic computers. Found this with a built in mini tape drive and mini Dot Matrix printer. Think this could work for repurposing for that TI handheld idea?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Looking it up-- the tape drive was a fully removable module.. AND, had seek/sense circuitry, so it could seek on the tape.  It might be a candidate for an adapter, to make it emulate being a wafertape.  You would need documentation about how to control the drive, an arduino (or other micro) to do the hexbus interfacing, and a special dock to house the micro and the docked tapedrive.

Since wafertape was intended to be CONTINUOUS tape, (Closed loop), and this is a normal microcassette, you may need to ... Massage... the wafertape handler so that you can issue a "Please wait, fetching your file!" type message back to the hexbus master, while the adapter rewinds the cassette, to simulate restarting at the index position of the continuous tape. Rewinding an entire tape would take...."Considerably longer" than just advancing the continuous tape, so likely a timeout would happen without this "Please wait!" message to put the master into waiting for the device to then pull bus high, and send a "OK, Got to your tape position index-- respond when ready" message sequence.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wierd_w said:

Looking it up-- the tape drive was a fully removable module.. AND, had seek/sense circuitry, so it could seek on the tape.  It might be a candidate for an adapter, to make it emulate being a wafertape.  You would need documentation about how to control the drive, an arduino (or other micro) to do the hexbus interfacing, and a special dock to house the micro and the docked tapedrive.

Since wafertape was intended to be CONTINUOUS tape, (Closed loop), and this is a normal microcassette, you may need to ... Massage... the wafertape handler so that you can issue a "Please wait, fetching your file!" type message back to the hexbus master, while the adapter rewinds the cassette, to simulate restarting at the index position of the continuous tape. Rewinding an entire tape would take...."Considerably longer" than just advancing the continuous tape, so likely a timeout would happen without this "Please wait!" message to put the master into waiting for the device to then pull bus high, and send a "OK, Got to your tape position index-- respond when ready" message sequence.

You have creative chaotic path associations. I approve. I would not be surprised to find your IQ over 180.

IQ is overrated.  It checks 2 things, and only 2 things.

1) How quickly you notice patterns

2) How well you can complete a standardized test.

Intelligence is a vastly larger conceptual vista, with many more facets and features than what IQ can capture.  There are some very brilliant people that get really bad IQ scores, because of some simple deficit, such as being blind, deaf, or having difficulty with reading (such as having dyslexia.) There are also people with very high IQs that are dumb as rocks, and could not solve a novel problem to save their asses.

That said, when it was last tested (which was AAAAAGES ago, in the public school system), mine was 167.  Take with a mountain of salt.  Again, the number is unimportant.  Realworld performance is what matters.  Can you solve novel problems in novel ways?  Can you re-purpose old solutions to new problems? Can you do that well?  Then have high intelligence.  It does not matter what the test score is. :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Other gotchas that might pop up:

You might need latches to catch hexbus nibbles, especially on a very busy hexbus.
You might need level shifters, if your tapedrive uses some strange voltage. (I doubt it, since it plugged into a rom-cartridge compatible port-- So probably 3.3v or 5v.)

You will certainly need some kind of power buffering circuitry to handle voltage spike/sag when the tape motor engages or goes faster than normal, unless you use a very large regulated supply. (Even then, putting some noise cancellation on to suppress the ripple current from the motor would be good medicine I think.)

Thankfully, that can likely live in a number of convenient places.  The shifter and latch hardware can live on an arduino shield.
Power regulation circuitry can live inside the dock, assuming you give yourself enough realestate.

Edited by wierd_w

2 hours ago, wierd_w said:

IQ is overrated.

I.Q. ...testing

I remember being asked something to the effect of; What causes rust?

I answered: Water, than quickly changed my answer to, oxidation.

...At first they gave me a good mark, than quickly changed it.:twisted: After that... I just made up the answers, in order to ...test them!;-) I was very young, and therefore childish!:grin:

1 minute ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

I.Q. ...testing

I remember being asked something to the effect of; What causes rust?

I answered: Water, than quickly changed my answer to, oxidation.

...At first they gave me a good mark, than quickly changed it.:twisted: After that... I just made up the answers, in order to ...test them!;-) I was very young, and therefore childish!:grin:

Actually it's a combination of water moisture and Oxygen.  Believe it or not, one of the best ways to slow down rusting is to actually submerge the object totally in water until you can fully dry it.  It's a tried and true method on boat motors.

• Like 1