IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Recently my personal laptop has been shutting itself down and in some cases, with a log entry related to overheating.  I cleaned out the air intakes, checked the fans, etc, all seemed to be in good shape.  I could not figure out the cause until yesterday when I happened to notice that the sun's position in the sky had changed and that the laptop was in direct 'Texas sunlight' for roughly an hour each day. The cactus plant next to the laptop loves the sun, the laptop,  not so much....  ;)   Adjusting the window blinds took care of the issue!

• Like 2

Another thing to consider, is that more often than not the manufacturers use one of those thermally conducting pads instead of actual honest to goodness thermal compound.  After a few years, those things dry out, and get crispier than a potato chip. When that happens, they no longer conduct heat, and act like an insulating blanket. (EEP!!)

Removing the heat spreader and heat pipe assembly, and applying some real compound makes a HUUUUUUGE difference.

• Like 1

Man! "EVEN" works. I recently Tried a routine in assembly and found for some reason that didn't work. I spent a couple hours trying to figure it out.

Finally I thought, EVEN... let's try it.

And placing it before my routine actually allowed my program to function.

I've spent countless hours writing code and I place the even directive anywhere I think it needs it. But in front of my sub?

Weird. But whatever it takes.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 4

It can refer to any biological process that displays an endogenous, entrainable oscillation of about 24 hours. These 24-hour rhythms are driven by a circadian clock, and they have been widely observed in plants, animals, fungi, and cyanobacteria.[2] -Wikipedia

I was using the term "loosely".:D

@Omega-TI, Wanna trade?;)

Hey, my semi-feral kitties have totally adapted to me. They totally want to snuggle while I'm preparing food for them and generally want to hang out with me once they've eaten. I have thre that fit into that category, and three more that warily accept my presence. I got all of them spayed/neutered so that they could live happy lives without producing oodles of wild kittens. . .and the other three will eventually come into petting range too. :) As one of the buttons I found at Spencer's says: I'm here to pet all the f***ing cats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

Sadly?

Yup, sadly.  The TI has some amazing games, like the goodies Rasmus and others have released over the last few years and we even have a version of Dragon's Lair crying out loud... but seriously, no freakin BattleZone clone?  I'm embarrassed for the TI.  BattleZone was one of the most fun games to hit the market (IMHO), and yes even the TRS-80 has a simple, but fun to play version.  Maybe I need to make a hall of shame video... ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Yup, sadly.  The TI has some amazing games, like the goodies Rasmus and others have released over the last few years and we even have a version of Dragon's Lair crying out loud... but seriously, no freakin BattleZone clone?  I'm embarrassed for the TI.  BattleZone was one of the most fun games to hit the market (IMHO), and yes even the TRS-80 has a simple, but fun to play version.  Maybe I need to make a hall of shame video... ?

You know what happened? TI beta-tested the game, and nobody could operate two of their joysticks at once.

;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Digging through a box of old floppies and reformatting them (because they have sat so long that the sector markings have degraded!!), I realized something.

I have in my possession 2 original "Flip'N'File" boxes. A Flip'N'File 10, and a Flip'N'File 15, which hold 10 disks, and 15 disks respectively. (Specifically, 5.25" disks)

Looking at the construction, I think I can reverse engineer these, and make printable models of them. They would be 4 printed parts, since they are made of 4 parts already. They are suitably sized to fit on most print beds already.

There's verbiage inside that says "Patent Pending" though, so I should check to see if they have expired first probably.

Ok, Found the patent. Google says it is expired. I can replicate to my heart's content.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4496050A/en?oq=4496050

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 3