IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Long before the era of AI chatbots... We had Sam as "Rent-A-Friend"... Anyone here remember him?

In the late 1980s, a unique and somewhat quirky concept emerged to combat loneliness: "Rent-A-Friend." This VHS tape was designed to provide companionship to those who felt isolated or lonely. The idea was simple but novel: a video featuring a friendly, engaging person who would talk directly to the viewer, simulating a personal interaction.

The star of the "Rent-A-Friend" VHS was Sam, a warm and personable character who would engage in friendly conversations, ask questions, and offer supportive comments. The tape was structured to make the viewer feel like they were having a genuine conversation with Sam, who would talk about a variety of topics, from everyday life to hobbies and personal interests.

20240522_005250.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary from OPA said:

Just add a paywall of some sorts into classic99 and you will soon have one yourself to help you type in the coding.

Nah, people need their money to buy Super Space Acer ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Initial Public Offering (IPO) of Raspberry Pi is now set for June 2024, and $40 million is expected to be raised.

The confirmation was published by the London Stock Exchange, itself likely delighted to be listing the company considering the fall of its share of funds raised in IPOs in Europe.

According to the filing, the net proceeds from that $40 million will be used for engineering capital expenditures, making the supply chain more resilient and "other general corporate purposes."

The $40 million will consist of existing shares sold by certain shareholders, including a subsidiary of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, and new shares to be issued by the company. At the time of the original announcement, Pi supremo Eben Upton paid tribute to the Foundation and said, "This IPO brings the opportunity to double down on their outstanding work to enable young people to realise their potential through the power of computing."

Upton added: "We've hugely appreciated their support on our journey so far and are delighted that the Foundation will remain a major shareholder."

Today's confirmation also states that Arm Technology Investments has entered into a separate cornerstone investment agreement to purchase $35 million shares in the IPO. Lansdowne Partners (UK) LLP has agreed to purchase up to a maximum of $20 million shares. Both are existing shareholders in the company; Arm snagged a minority stake in 2023.

https://www.theregister.com/2024/05/22/raspberry_pi_ipo_set_for_june_2024/

Eric Schmidt says the most powerful AI systems of the future will have to be contained in military bases because their capability will be so dangerous.

You know the funny thing a long time ago back when computers first started being a thing, the large early tech companies never wanted more than a dozen or so huge powerful mainframes and have everyone connected to it via dumb terminals.

Then along came the cloud and faster internet and again big tech companies were trying to get everyone onboard with dumb Chromebooks and everything running in the cloud.

Now here we are again the same idea, but with AI with it being so powerful we can only have a dozen or so AI mainframes and everyone connects to it via dumb chatbots.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gary from OPA said:

Eric Schmidt says the most powerful AI systems of the future will have to be contained in military bases because their capability will be so dangerous.

Sounds exactly like something a homicidal AI would say.

• Like 1

UNITED STATES: The Associated Press reports the number of Americans who use marijuana almost every day has 'surpassed the number who drink that often', with an estimated 17.7 million people using it 'daily or near-daily' in 2022, compared to 14.7 million daily or near-daily drinkers.

• Sad 1

‘Osama Bin Lager’ beer sells out after going viral, forces brewery to shut down website.

Is it ale Qaeda?

A UK brewery found itself embroiled in controversy when an Osama Bin Laden-themed beer sold out after going viral online.

“We’ve woken up the last couple of mornings with thousands and thousands and thousands of notifications,” Luke Mitchell, owner of the Mitchell Brewing Co in Billinghay, Lincolnshire, told the BBC of the insane demand.

Cleverly dubbed Osama Bin Lager, the “dark” beer’s label features a cartoonish caricature of the notorious Al Qaeda leader, who was killed by Navy Seals in 2011.

Photos of the inflammatory ale quickly blew up online, causing it to sell out so quickly that brewery staffers had to unplug their phones and shutter the website due to the “crazy” demand.

https://nypost.com/2024/05/22/lifestyle/osama-bin-laden-themed-beer-sells-out-after-going-viral/

beer-named-osama-bin-laden-82426847.jpg

Where is my $500,000 I spent 186 days in 8x10 cell with someone I never met before, with no privacy, eating, sleeping, shitting, and no visitors and worse food, this challenge is luxury living.

The thumbnail is not even the room they are in, the place is amazing in size and space.

Posted (edited)

I'll need donations, but a NEW fiber run and strategic servers will be required as we will run an internet from Coast to coast on our "splinternet" network and you'll have to downgrade to Netscape lol...

Edited by GDMike

4 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

The only difference to reality (at least for me here) is that the machine (deposit machine, in fact) does not spit out money bills but a receipt, and I take that with me to the cashier in the market to get a discount on the new bottles and crates that I have on my trolley. (Oh, and it autodetects the kind of bottle or can, so no buttons.)

But apart from that, yes, takes coke cans, soda cans, full crates with bottles (also counts the bottles in it), PET bottles, and so on.