IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Atari has bought the rights to Intellivision

Purchase of Intellivision Trademarks and Games Unites Competing Brands from the ‘70s and ‘80s

PARIS and NEW YORK, May 23, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Atari® — one of the world's most iconic consumer brands and interactive entertainment producers — announced today it has purchased the Intellivision brand and certain games from Intellivision Entertainment LLC. Intellivision Entertainment LLC will rebrand and continue its business of developing and distributing the Amico brand game console with a license from Atari to continue to distribute new versions of the Intellivision games on the Amico console.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/atari-acquires-intellivision-brand-120000940.html

3 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

a minions wifi router just dropped

20240523_203938.jpg

I got a preview model.  It changes every graphic to bananas.  Really high quality images of bananas, but bananas nonetheless.

56 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I got a preview model.  It changes every graphic to bananas.  Really high quality images of bananas, but bananas nonetheless.

The Computer Comes to Bloom County

Released at the same time as the Macintosh was a fictional computer that was 32-bits and offered a staggering 450KB of memory! It proudly declared that it “Computes! Sorts! Prints! Draws! Figures! Doodles! Slices! Dices! Whistle! Whimpers! Dances! Prances!” It was the most insanely great great computer ever devised for a comic strip.

It was the Banana Junior 9000 computer!

https://computerhistory.org/blog/the-banana-junior-6000-computers-and-comedy/

bj6kcc_bananaad.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This topic has changed from being about things that were slightly off topic but still considered of interest to the community, into a daily dose of junk. If I'm the only one who's bothered, I will just ignore the topic. What do people think?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asmusr said:

This topic has changed from being about things that were slightly off topic but still considered of interest to the community, into a daily dose of junk. If I'm the only one who's bothered, I will just ignore the topic. What do people think?

Emphasis mine.  Fair point.  It has become more of an X/Facebook timeline than its genesis, which also included random comments of personal interest by our community members.  Some of the stuff we post in here could be blog posts or status updates, as AA supports both with followings.

• Like 1

End of an era 🥺 Have you ever had an icq account?

I think I still have one, but haven't logged in for at least twenty years now.

I bet a number of us original ti99'ers still have a ICQ or did at one time, it used to be the one way to chat and stay in touch after the era of BBS's started to die and the Internet started.

20240524_162649.jpg

3 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

End of an era 🥺 Have you ever had an icq account?

I actually still use mine.  Sad to see it go, but I only have a few people with whom I communicate there, anyway.  I got started in ICQ on my Amiga using StrICQ.  I was on an ICQ developers list for a while, too.  It was a fun ride decoding the ICQ protocol, then the OSCAR protocol used by AIM, which I also used on the Amiga.  At least IRC is not dead, yet.

On a side note, I wound up with Doug's two CyberStorm PPC accelerators.  They were both dead when I got them.  I sent them over to a shop in England to see if they could be fixed or at least neutered into CS-MkIII... that was about 15 years ago and I ain't seen them since.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Have you ever had an icq account?

I started using ICQ sometime around late '97 or early '98 as a way to connect with people playing quake, UT, tribes, and other similar games.  I even met my wife via gaming & ICQ.  I eventually unloaded the client when all that was coming through was unsolicited spam, usually someone asking if they can have my "low" 6-digit UIN.  I later used Yahoo and MSN but the fond memories come from the ICQ days. I still have my two UIN local databases and shared files saved somewhere in my archives.  Fun stuff.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I eventually unloaded the client when all that was coming through was unsolicited spam, usually someone asking if they can have my "low" 6-digit UIN.

I remember when people with low UINs were targets for phishing and hacks as people would "collect" them and sell them.  I have an eight-digit UIN, and one of my friends had one with seven digits.

16 hours ago, Albert said:

I've never seen this sort of thing, but Austin PD will put an empty squad car on the side of the road like this to slow people down.

My old hometown is right outside of a very large Air Force base.  In our little city the cops would place an empty patrol car in the middle of the "suicide lane" with its lights running as a remind to slow the f down.  One most days, they would station a patrol car or two around the zone to catch people who ignored the friendly reminder that 60 in a 40 is not acceptable behavior.

We all here should know the answer to this question from Twitter.

But what I want to know if anyone gotten hold of one of those RF turtle robots used on the Apple II and make it compatible with our TI version.

BTW @Albert when you are bored and back from your long weekend, can you update the automatic Twitter embedding feature to work with the silly new X . Com domain as that is the default now when copying a link from their app or site, and I have to manually edit it back to Twitter . Com before this forum will accept it.

Thanks.

It is getting a bit meme-y.

I logged into my ICQ about a year ago... it's still online (and available as a web app now), and my old password still worked fine. I even talked briefly to someone I hadn't talked to for years who still uses it, apparently. ;)

Rare $60k retro computer found during a trash call..

According to Smithsonian Magazine, a salvage company in London was cleaning out a property and found an odd-looking computer device. No one knew what it was, and they couldn’t find anything with a quick online search. The devices in question were two ultra-rare Q1 computers dating from the early 1970s.

https://hackaday.com/2024/05/25/one-mans-trash-is-a-rare-60000-historical-computer/

q1.png

• Like 1