IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

I think if all images are going to go subscriber only then I'll have a lot less reason to use this forum. Are you using a special tag there?

Buy a subscription and find out. Server costs are not free and paying a little towards the site has it's perks.

• Like 2

Buy a subscription and find out. Server costs are not free and paying a little towards the site has it's perks.

Yeah, I've never contributed to anyone or anything, ever. Everything is free and should always be free, and there's no way I'd ever help anyone out, financially or otherwise.

• Like 1

I just expanded my home/office NAS to 8TB. To be fair, it holds ISOs and images for just about every CD/DVD and floppy I come across (though I regularly off-load older resting data,) extracts of all of my CDs and DVDs plus videos I download from web sites (I find it aggravating that things can be taken down at a whim, so I keep them for myself,) Amiga, Commodore, and TI files, metric shyt-tonne of documents, and backups for a few machines. I do not need the performance of the SSD, but the reduction in heat and power consumption is attractive.

Now, for my data center I would not mind having a SAN full of these things.

My Dell laptop refuses to install Windows 10 with error 80070057. Yes, Windows is good at delivering cryptic error messages.

Sweet, your Dell probably saved you from a making a mistake (upgrading to 10).

Now I've heard that if you download Silverlight and install it on your system that somehow fixes the problem... don't ask me why, I have no clue. I'll not be trying it either as I have no plans of upgrading. If you already have it on your system and are still getting the error you are supposed to uninstall it, and re-install it. Good luck... I think.

Windows is such a kludge!

No problem, this is a new laptop which has a dual boot configuration, and Windows was preinstalled ... so I thought if I'll be using the dual-installed Linux most of the time anyway (which has all the important stuff on it), let Windows 10 have try on the other partition.

I know that there was already an issue with a dual boot configuration with patch KB3033929 that must be ignored (it obviously tried to patch something in the boot block which was modified by grub2), so I thought this could have been a problem here as well, but if it only told me what seems to be its boggles (mellow greetings, citizen), I could do something about it.

Yes, and that very laptop was delivered with a "Recovery DVD" - not Windows 7 as installed, but Windows 8. Ah yes, and it does not have a DVD drive; the external one I have from the older laptop is a eSATA drive, but this one is back to USB. So I'll first have to find an external DVD drive.

Yes, I tried to burn a Windows 10 ISO on a stick, but then it asks me for the license number during installation. Dell, however, does not stick a label with the number to the chassis as they always used to. No, this time the license number is buried somewhere inside, and even Magical Jellybean Keyfinder could not return me a key that is accepted by the installer. As I heard, the number is now registered in the UEFI system somewhere. Which brings me back to try a normal upgrade on the laptop, which keeps ending in the aforementioned error message.

Great. I'm afraid I'll have to see our IT staff for a solution. That almost like asking for the way.

-----------------

Things were better in the past.

At least we got some better error messages - see the attached picture from Dell's Backup and Restore tool: "An error has occured." I wonder what could be the logical next step: "hehe, fooled you" or "I think I'll stop here" or "This installation is good enough for you."

We're continuously trying to simplify things in computing, which won't work, I'm pretty sure. You can try to reduce computer interaction in a sequence of finger swipes, but you'll end up in people being merely able to check their mails (sorry, old thinking, read messages or timeline) with absolutely no clue what is going on.

And those of us who do know quite a lot of computers are pushed back in the line with all those others who rather get a new phone instead to fixing their old one... just because we're taken away all tools to work with.

post-35000-0-78348800-1440329306_thumb.jpg