IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Today's 25 years of German Unity. Time flies, really. Can't believe.

Sometimes I wished we dared to turn it just a bit more into something like your July 4th and a bit less like a Memorial Day ...

There seems to be no pleasing some people, you had David Hasselhoff singing and dancing on the wall, what more do you need??? ;)

• Like 2

Today's 25 years of German Unity. Time flies, really. Can't believe.

Sometimes I wished we dared to turn it just a bit more into something like your July 4th and a bit less like a Memorial Day ...

I can see that, and I have to say I cannot disagree. Why not start a movement? I cannot imagine that you are the only one who feels this way.

• 2 weeks later...

At the local Transfer Station today and I noticed the CRT TV and computer graveyard in a corner behind the office. I asked if I could have a poke around and she said "Sure, just not the towers". I assumed she meant the old computers, as I suppose they have higher scrap value? I was only interested in 4:3 LCD monitors and after lifting up some old CRT TVs, I came across this:-

img_1858.jpg

Needs a 12v PSU, but it doesn't look in bad nick. Screen looks scratch free, and just a couple of scratches on the bezel. VGA only and has built-in speakers. Just the job for my vintage collection!

Found a 12v PSU, so I connect up to my PC to test.

img_1860.jpg

Edited by wyerd
  • Like 2

At the Portland Game Convention this year....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYotc1Mo3g

Who would have figured that they could do this on a 2600. Anything like this on the TI that I may have overlooked?

That Star Castle's pretty amazing, but that's got to be running on one of the accelerator carts...! They're doing amazing things with the 2600 hardware though. :)

Today is "Back to the Future" day, the date on which Marty McFly arrives in the future from 1984. Theaters in numerous areas are showing the entire trilogy today, and the 30th anniversary collection is available on BluRay and DVD.

But it is more than just a marketing gimmick. It strikes me that 1984 was 30 years ago. On this date I was barely 11 years-old and just starting fifth grade. I recently found some "news articles" I wrote for a school assignment which had me with two kids and running a trans-national technology company. The future was wide as the sky back then and so much was happening, both good and bad.

This year I was programming on an Apple ][+ in my gifted class, the family had purchased a TI-99/4A for Christmas prior and I was learning between the two, we had a big birthday party for me in class which I recorded on my TI program recorder (still have the tape,) I started teaching myself about electricity and electronics and wrote about these lessons to a pen-pal in some other country I cannot recall. I learned the thrill of love and the heartbreak of losing love. I learned all of the bones in the body. My teacher read us one of the "Soup" books (not the "Chicken Soup for the xxx" books, but the character,) and this year we started getting more involved in current events with KTHI channel 11 and I first heard of AIDS. One of my dad's friends knew of my intellectual curiosities and took me to see "2001: A Space Odyssey," after having loaned me his "Fellowship of the Rings" book tetralogy (including "The Hobbit," of course.)

And I could not have been any more proud than every Tuesday when I wore my Cub Scout uniform to school, perfectly pressed and squared away in preparation for our pack meeting after school.

Every day was about learning something new. I still like to learn as much as I can and apply it anywhere possible, today.

What about you?

Oh, and how could I forget?? This was the year we got our family dog who quickly became a member of our family and was with us for 14 years. We shared the back seat of a 1977 AMC Hornet Sportabout station wagon for many a family road trip bisecting the country down I-29 and down to Florida, many camping and fishing trips, and romps through the woods and the field which divided the housing area with the base WSA.

• Like 1