IGNORED

DO THE SAME -WIP

1980gamer

Between Christmas and New Years I had some time to get back in to programming on the TI99/4A

I figuring out my poorly cobbled together game NECCO FACTORY,  making nice progress when I came across this post

I love puzzle games and for the most part NECCO FACTORY is a collection of puzzle games.

I was hooked from the demo.  Over the next 3 days I built the body of the game.

I made 3 levels and tested it for a while.  Then I contacted @Eric M, working on the Coleco version and asked for some level data.

He was nice enough to provide the first 8 levels and I converted those to fit my game.

I have tested his levels on my game and with a little tweaking, I got them to work.  :)

This is a much early stage of development than Eric's version. My graphics will not be nearly as nice :( and I will try to add some music...

Because we only have 1 button on the joystick, it will only rotate the block to the right.  However, if using the keyboard the Q and W keys will rotate in opposite directions.

Simple instructions...  Match the right window to the left window! 

This first version has some debug info showing and does not have a graceful "end"  it simple ends when the time runs out or you exceed the 8 levels.  Actually, I am thinking it may try to load "other" data to the screen.  I have not finished all 8 levels on this build.

This is an XB256 compiled file.

DO0112-X.zip

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, SteveB said:

I always run out of time in level 4 ... much harder than the three before.

Very good!

I hear you!  I am pretty good at this now and I didn't make through all 8 before posting this version.

You are supposed to get extra time on harder boards.  I have not added that yet.  :)   So, you will have a better chance in a future update.

• Like 3

Hi Gene

I am happy that you like 'DoTheSame' and that you are about to make the conversion for TI99 :)

Concerning graphics, one item is 2 colors. When I convert it into sprite and rotate it , the item (sprite) is one color only. So if you use the same 'technic', you have to choose the dominant color for your sprite. 

ex For the cherry, the fruit is red and the peduncle green. So I take the dominant color: red and I transform it into a red sprite. This is why switching beetwen 2 colors and one color looks smooth

Otherwise, there will be a kind of too visible flash beetwen colors

I hope you'll understand my poor english :)

See you :)

ps : I don't know TI99, How to load and run your demo ? thx

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eric M said:

Hi Gene

I am happy that you like 'DoTheSame' and that you are about to make the conversion for TI99 :)

Concerning graphics, one item is 2 colors. When I convert it into sprite and rotate it , the item (sprite) is one color only. So if you use the same 'technic', you have to choose the dominant color for your sprite. 

ex For the cherry, the fruit is red and the peduncle green. So I take the dominant color: red and I transform it into a red sprite. This is why switching beetwen 2 colors and one color looks smooth

Otherwise, there will be a kind of too visible flash beetwen colors

I hope you'll understand my poor english :)

See you :)

ps : I don't know TI99, How to load and run your demo ? thx

Thank you for the tip on the colors.

You have been a great help!  I didn't notice the single color sprite!  So, the illusion works well.

Currently, I am using single color graphics, but with this hint, I may try to do something more.

For the TI99/4A.  I use an Emulator called CLASSIC99  https://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99/

I also use the XB Compiler as well as XB256. These are a GAME CHANGER!  The TI's BASIC and EXTENDED BASIC are very slow. This package allows us to make playable games!  https://oratronik.de/atariage/compilers/JUWEL4+GEM.zip

I plan to create or CLONE a game using RXB this year.  I don't know what yet. It has re-written the TI's GPL commands to Assembly as well as added NEW and enhanced the old commands.

Some people use MAME or other Emulators.  I like Classic99,  It has been my go to for 10 or more? years.  And still is maintained!

The TI community is very helpful.  If you have any questions, I am certain you will have many users replying to help.

Be Well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eric M said:

I don't know TI99, How to load and run your demo

If you don't want to install anything, you can use JS99er:

• Open https://js99er.net
  • Click Load Disk and choose the DO0112-X.zip file
  • Press space and 2 to enter XB
  • Type  RUN "DSK1.DO0112-X" (must be upper case)
  • Use arrow keys and tab for joystick 1

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Asmusr >Thx  ;)

@1980gamer

2 things :

- There are some 'shifting' in the stages from the 4th to the last (use the the 16 stages I've sent you). >> For the fourth stage for example, the shape must be at the bottom, not the top

- on my french kb, I use A and Z. A for anticlockwise and Z for clockwise. It's inverted

That said, nice work :)

See you 

Edited by Eric M

3 hours ago, Eric M said:

@Asmusr >Thx  ;)

@1980gamer

2 things :

- There are some 'shifting' in the stages from the 4th to the last (use the the 16 stages I've sent you). >> For the fourth stage for example, the shape must be at the bottom, not the top

- on my french kb, I use A and Z. A for anticlockwise and Z for clockwise. It's inverted

That said, nice work :)

See you 

Thanks.

First..   The TI joystick has only 1 button and it is tied to the Q key on the keyboard.  I like the Clockwise default rotation direction.

However, I like to be able to rotate Counter Clockwise, so I added W key for that function.

I could add "A" and "Z"  this would be tough on a real TI as the E,S,D,X keys are Up,Left,Right,Down   The Q is already tight.

On my laptop, this is fine as I use the Arrow Keys mapped to the Joystick and Q and W are comfortable... Though reversed.  I want them to rotate Q left/Counter Clockwise and W right /Clockwise.

Maybe I'll just make the 1 button on the joystick rotate Counter Clockwise.  Then all of that is solved.  I typically would ask for user feedback on this type of decision.

Second.  Shifting in the stages?  Do you mean that stage 4 should be stage 8?  Or do you mean the graphical layout is shifted?

I have not converted the 16 stages yet.  I was implementing the "Blank" block logic right now.  It caused a complete refactor.  Not so easy using NOTEPAD  LOL.

I am pretty close on this, but I introduced a bug.  So, I am tracking that down now.  However, the change will allow for more graphics and colors going forward.

Gene

• Like 1

DO0117-X.zip

Here is the latest version.  About a 50% rewrite...

It now handles much more graphical capabilities.  I added some, I guess place holders for now.  I am not an artist.  LOL

Also, for testing, you can enter a starting level 1 to 16.  After 16 the game ends.

removed debug junk on the screen.

Still toying with control scheme.   Left it the same for this version.  May give play selection?

• Like 6

Hi Gene

I've played this demo and it's really good even if the cursor mouvement is a little bit too fast ;)

I finished this level but the 9th stage is missing and the game finish after the 15th, no 16th (I've started from the 1st stage)

In some stages, for the color blind, it is a little bit hard to see the global shape. You have to change some colors :)

Keep up your good work ;)

See you

Eric

Edited by Eric M

5 hours ago, Eric M said:

Hi Gene

I've played this demo and it's really good even if the cursor mouvement is a little bit too fast ;)

I finished this level but the 9th stage is missing and the game finish after the 15th, no 16th (I've started from the 1st stage)

In some stages, for the color blind, it is a little bit hard to see the global shape. You have to change some colors :)

Keep up your good work ;)

See you

Eric

Thanks Eric,

I cannot duplicate the missing level 9 when starting from 1.  I will need to play with different options.

I was using all 3 GREEN shades, I replaced one of them with CYAN.  Hope this helps.  I made certain the shapes were not the same by close colors.  But I can do more.

I started adding a between stages screen and gathering game play stats.

Slowed the movement a little bit more.

• Like 1

I have tried the game, starting from the first level until the game back to the BASIC. I really like the kind of gameplay. I always missed to have a game like diamond quest on the TI-99/4A and this could be a similar one.

I agree about the request to slow a bit the cursor moviments, also I would like to have some effects transition when a level is finished and then will going to play to the new one. At least e Message like "Level Completed!" or e message for LevelUP anyway. Also a final score screen would be nice but maybe you will add all this in the final version of the game I guess, right?

thanks for your effort on this nice game :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@sometimes99er My problem is while testing, I want it faster.  But when compiled I need it slower. But yes, I am very used to the fast movement and like it now.

@ti99iuc I agree,  I have added a between level screen.  It will be in the next version.  I need to add a few other items before the next version.

This last update was a lot of work that was not really viable to the user.  Yes, a little graphical change.  But really building for future levels to be added etc.

I just thought of another back end change that will help with compression also. So, that may push me back a few days, but will be better in the end.

THANK YOU for trying this cool game.  This game is on the Atari Jaguar, Sega Master System and other classic systems. Soon to be on the Colecovisiion which is where I first saw a demo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Okay, here we go, a little something for everyone.... I hope.

First, Added some new keys.   Keys 1,W,A will spin counter clockwise.   2,Q,Z will spin clockwise.

1 and 2 are comfortable to use.

Q and W are as before. Reversed direction of 1 and 2.

A and Z at the request of Eric. 

Second, Key 4 will speed up the pointer if you are brave! LOL  And key 5 will slow it down.  Press the key multiple times vs Holding it down.

Last, I have added a between level screen with some stats. 

Number of moves in the round, number of total moves.

Time for the round and Total Time.  This is in seconds. 

I will convert this to minutes and seconds at some point.  Hours?  Maybe...

Oh, the level 1.

Press any key to start the next round.  I guess I should have put that text on the screen...  Next version.

Other things I hope to add....

More levels of course.

Retry Round

Better graphics

Some kind of music...  with an option to turn it off....

Option screen at the start

Better between rounds screen

An END screen....

DOV5-X.zip

• Like 3

Hi Gene

I've tested it and it's better. Nice improvements ;)

What I've noticed :

- 16th stage missing when starting at 1st

- concerning the keyboard, personally, I get trouble with the keys ;) (I'm old you know lol). For example A and Z keys (on my azerty keyb) : by pressing A key, why it's a clockwise rotation and Z anticlockwise  ?? A is on the left of the keyb so why it's not rotating anticlockwise and Z clockwise ??

RETRY key is a good option

Maybe you could add a quit game like ESC key

I'll send you the complete MORE32 Level (32 new stages) soon

See you  :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric M said:

Hi Gene

I've tested it and it's better. Nice improvements ;)

What I've noticed :

- 16th stage missing when starting at 1st

- concerning the keyboard, personally, I get trouble with the keys ;) (I'm old you know lol). For example A and Z keys (on my azerty keyb) : by pressing A key, why it's a clockwise rotation and Z anticlockwise  ?? A is on the left of the keyb so why it's not rotating anticlockwise and Z clockwise ??

RETRY key is a good option

Maybe you could add a quit game like ESC key

I'll send you the complete MORE32 Level (32 new stages) soon

See you  :)

How to fix wrong layout for AZERTY keyboards - Ask Ubuntu

UTexas Instruments TI 99/4A keyboard repair hack - Retro ShallanI never knew of AZERTY keyboard.  I have only seen QWERTY.

Now I see why you like the A and Z keys.  They are our Q and W.  Yes, I have them reversed for you then....

So, for you, the 1 and 2 key should work as you like it?  Or the Q and W as well. 

I should make this user selected option.

Does the cursor slowdown work for you?  pressing the 5 key should slow it down a little if you press it 10 times it will be half the speed.

Some may find that still to fast?  So, press it 10 more times!  LOL   If you slow down to much, the 4 key speeds it up.   The delay is 100 to start.  4= -10  5= +10

Cheers.

Hi

Don't worry about azerty or qwerty keyboard (I talked about azerty kb because I test DTS on Rasmus' JS99'er on my azerty kb). I thought that AZ and QW has the same keycode
I believe that there is no azerty keyboard for the TI. So, if you can 'win' some code/data place, remove your AZkeys management routines, QW is working good for me :)

See you and keep up the good work and Great Thanks for your efforts 👍

Have a nice WE

(stay tuned for the MORE32 level'stages)

Eric

Edited by Eric M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the latest version!

Thank you @Eric M with the LEVEL Data.  Also Thank you to @senior_falcon and @pixelpedant for advice on better data compression.

With the help of the above, I have increased this demo to 48 levels.

You can now select what the Joystick Button will do.  Spin Counter Clockwise or Clockwise.   This of course impacts the Q key and the W key will spin opposite the Q key.

Select option 1.  Is best,  And how it was intended.

I now have a cheesy animation when you finish a level.  I need something else here, just want to do something...

Also, I added the current Cursor Speed to the Stats page.  Remember, the 4 key speeds you up, the 5 key slows you down.

With feedback,  I will set the default to the avg. value of the feedback provided.

Added some additional graphics to accommodate the variety needed on some of the new levels.  Again, I am hoping to do better graphics!

Also some music etc.

DO0124-X.zip

• Like 4

Hi 

Nice idea the 'exploding' heart

I've seen some flickering (I don't know if it's only visible on emu or on a real TI. I've have to find a genuine extra mem + SD card reader to see DTS and Rasmus's great work)

I've also seen the little logo from the 13rd stage ;)

A little question Why don't you offer to the player the keyboard option ?

Q anticlockwise

W clockwise

arrows to move the cursor

ESC for example to quit game

(I've made this on the MSX version. The gameplay is more precise)

Warning I'm going to send you the last ...

... 64 stages :)

See you 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric M said:

Hi 

Nice idea the 'exploding' heart

I've seen some flickering (I don't know if it's only visible on emu or on a real TI. I've have to find a genuine extra mem + SD card reader to see DTS and Rasmus's great work)

I've also seen the little logo from the 13rd stage ;)

A little question Why don't you offer to the player the keyboard option ?

Q anticlockwise

W clockwise

arrows to move the cursor

ESC for example to quit game

(I've made this on the MSX version. The gameplay is more precise)

Warning I'm going to send you the last ...

... 64 stages :)

See you 

Hi @Eric M

The beginning option it temporary, I want to see how much room I have for an options screen.

Yes, On the TI99/4A  the Joystick Fire button and the Q key are the same thing. 

Whatever is selected for the Fire Button / Q key....  The W key will do the opposite direction.   For you the A Key and the Z key.

The letters E,S,D and X  will move the cursor  These are independent of the joystick movement.

Actually,  I noticed the KEY movement was slowed down by my "speed control".  I fixed that in this version.

Flicker...  Yes, I see it also, but it does not seem to be SPRITE related.  I am swapping between screen modes to increase the number of characters I can define.

I will try to track this down.  Don't know were to start?

Thank you for the level data!  I think I can squeeze them in!

Gene

• Like 1

I think this is the FINAL demo.

I am down to 380 bytes free...

In this version....   Cursor Speed adjusted.  Still somewhat controllable by the user.  4 speeds it up, 5 to slow it down.

Object rotation also slowed down.  May go slower for RELEASE version.

Crazy Sprite glitches fixed!  What a PAIN that was.  Of course, when I found it, it was simple and obvious.  ;)

Thanks to @Eric M 64 additional levels added!  112 total now.   Play testing took a while!!!

Unless someone finds a bug or feels play mechanics need adjusting... I am DONE.   

I want to squeeze a few bytes and add a setup screen and end screen...

DO0127-X.zip

Maybe some music/sfx and maybe I can come up with better graphics?

Surrender and Retry keys to be added also.

I am pretty pleased with this version.

Enjoy!

• Like 5