IGNORED

2600 Flash Cart / Multi-Cart Comparison Matrix

bigmessowires

Hi, I'm new to the Atari scene and struggling with all the different multi-cart options mentioned in the forums. I searched for a noob-friendly sticky or wiki that describes the most popular multi-carts and does a brief feature comparison between them, but couldn't find one, so I decided to make my own. Could you please help me correct any errors or important omissions in the list below? A lot of this may be obvious for anyone who's been around the Atari scene for a while, but as a newcomer I've found it difficult to understand all these options. Thank you!

EDIT: This list has been updated with corrections and additions from the follow-up comments.

Currently-Available Flash Carts and Multi-Carts for the Atari 2600

Harmony
original developer: Fred Quimby / batari
loads ROMs from: SD card
max supported ROM size: 32KB
supports all original Atari games: yes
extensions for homebrew games: DPC+ coprocessor, ACE, CDF, CDFJ
firmware updates: from a file on the SD card (undocumented, see here) also with USB cable to your computer, requires Harmony Programming Tool software
design license: closed source
CPU: NXP ARM7TDMI-S @ 70MHz 
Memory: 8KB SRAM, 32KB Flash, and 512KB EEPROM

Harmony Encore
same as Harmony but with 512KB RAM and 1MB EEPROM to support larger homebrews
CPU: NXP ARM7TDMI-S @ 60MHz 

UnoCart 2600, a.k.a 2600 Uno
original developer: Robin Edwards / electrotrains
max supported ROM size: 64KB (up to 1024KB with UCA firmware)
extensions for homebrew games: ACE
firmware updates: from a file on the SD card (also with USB cable to your computer and STM32CubeProgrammer software, or with ST-Link II hardware)
design license: open source
CPU: STM32F4 @ 168 MHz
Memory: 192KB SRAM, 512KB Flash

PlusCart(+)
a fork/extension of the UnoCart 2600, using a networked ROM server instead of an SD card
original developer: Wolfgang Stubig / Al_Nafuur
loads ROMs from: WiFi connection to cloud-based ROM server (the PlusStore)
max supported ROM size: up to 1024KB
extensions for homebrew games: ACE, PlusROM API for internet access
firmware updates: over WiFi from the PlusStore (also with USB cable to your computer and STM32CubeProgrammer software, or with ST-Link II hardware)
CPU: STM32F4 @ 168 MHz with ESP8266 @ 80 MHz
Memory: 192KB SRAM, 512KB or 1024KB Flash (not including ESP8266 memory)

PlusCart Duo, a.k.a PlusCart SD
a fork/extension of the PlusCart that supports both networked ROM servers and SD cards
original developer: Wolfgang Stubig / Al_Nafuur and AtariAge community
where to buy: you have to build it yourself

Melody
A simplified version of Harmony with no SD card, no USB, no menu UI. Stores one game in Flash memory.
Intended for physical distribution of a homebrew.
where to buy: ???

Concerto
a Flash Cart for the Atari 7800
backwards compatible with Harmony Encore, also supports Atari 2600 games, but won't physically fit in a 2600 cartridge port

Edited by bigmessowires
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, bigmessowires said:

UnoCart 2600, a.k.a 2600 Uno

original developer: Robin Edwards / electrotrains

max supported ROM size: 64KB

extensions for homebrew games: none?

firmware updates: from a file on the SD card

CPU: STM32F4 @ 168 MHz

Memory: 192KB SRAM, 512KB Flash

where to buy: https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/uno-2600-cartridge

The UnoCart can be updated to the UCA Firmware to support larger/newer ROMs and the same menu screen like the PlusCart.

PlusCart(+)

a fork/extension of the UnoCart 2600, using a networked ROM server instead of an SD card

original developer: Wolfgang Stubig / Al_Nafuur

loads ROMs from: WiFi connection to cloud-based ROM server (the PlusStore)

✔️

max supported ROM size: 64KB

up to 1024KB

extensions for homebrew games: PlusROM API for internet access

one more extension for hombrew games: ACE

e.g.

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/344157-lord-of-biscay-rpg-demo-for-pluscartunocart
https://forums.atariage.com/topic/344158-ace-picture-and-3d-demos-for-pluscart

maybe @MarcoJ or @ZackAttack have some more/better links for ACE.

firmware updates: with USB cable to your computer, requires STM32CubeProgrammer software

Firmware updates can be done via USB or ST-Link II and a PC or via the SD-card, but usually new firmwares are distributed by the PlusStore via the WiFi connection.

CPU: STM32F4 @ 168 MHz with ESP8266 @ 80 MHz

✔️

Memory: 192KB SRAM, 512KB Flash (not including ESP8266 memory)

usually the STM32F407VGT6 with 1024KB flash is used, but the smaller STM32F407VET6 with only 512KB can also be used to build a PlusCart.

where to buy: https://pluscart.onlineweb.shop/

There are also two Brazilian seller of PlusCarts on my list here:

https://pluscart.firmaplus.de/pico/?Shop

PlusCart SD, a.k.a Plus Cart Duo

PlusCart Duo, a.k.a. PlusCart SD

a fork/extension of the PlusCart that supports both networked ROM servers and SD cards

original developer: Andrew Davie?

where to buy: you have to build it yourself

✔️

14 hours ago, bigmessowires said:
Harmony
extensions for homebrew games: DPC+ coprocessor

Homebrew games can use the ARM CPU, which allows multiple additional formats like DPC+, CDF and CDFJ.

firmware updates: with USB cable to your computer, requires Harmony Programming Tool software

Also via a special file on the SD cart.

Harmony Encore
same as Harmony but with 512KB RAM and 1MB EEPROM to support larger homebrews

AFAIK the CPU runs at 60MHz (not 70).

15 hours ago, bigmessowires said:
Concerto
an extension of the Harmony Encore with Atari 2600 and 7800 compatibility
backwards compatible with Harmony Encore, also supports Atari 7800 games

Note that while the Concerto can play 2600 games, it is actually a 7800 cartridge and requires a 7800 console (It won't physically fit in the 2600 cartridge port).

Hi,

The UnoCart can be updated to the UCA Firmware to support larger/newer ROMs and the same menu screen like the PlusCart.

I just received my unocart this week, if i update to the UCA firmware will i loose the ability to load games from SD card?  and if i dont like the fw can i update/ downgrade back to the unocart official firmware?

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, a7mag3ddon said:

I just received my unocart this week, if i update to the UCA firmware will i loose the ability to load games from SD card?

No

10 minutes ago, a7mag3ddon said:

and if i dont like the fw can i update/ downgrade back to the unocart official firmware?

Yes.

You can find the files to update/downgrade via SD in this post here: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/297486-unocart-firmware-updates/?do=findComment&comment=5169405

After switching to UCA v2.3.14 you can update to v2.3.15

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/297486-unocart-firmware-updates/?do=findComment&comment=5192167

Thanks again, I've updated the original post with the corrections. Regarding the Harmony cartridge:

6 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Also via a special file on the SD cart.

Where could I find more information about doing Harmony firmware updates directly from the SD card? The Harmony instruction manual says the firmware can't be loaded directly from the cartridge, and that a USB cable and programming software are required. Also the pinned Latest Harmony Cart Software thread in the Harmony sub-forum is full of people struggling with driver installations and who can't get the programming tool to recognize their Harmony cartridge. I didn't see any mention of an option for firmware updates directly from the SD card.

Edited by bigmessowires

Thanks for the pointer to the 1.05 Harmony firmware announcement from 2014. It looks like you're right. But this means the published Harmony instruction manual is 9 years out of date. ☹️ And there are still people in the pinned "Latest Harmony Software" thread struggling with USB driver problems for firmware updates as recently as 2021, so it looks like not everybody's aware of the ability to load firmware from the SD card. Is there a better place to find up-to-date Harmony information than the Harmony manual and web site?

Updating the firmware from the SD card is only possible if the existing firmware is working.  (Similarly, upgrading off SD card/wifi for the Unocart/Pluscart requires a working bios. If the cart is unresponsive for some reason, you need to use the usb port, if present, or a ST-link programmer)

In some circumstances the firmware can be corrupted, and then the only option is to use the usb cable and the PC software to revive the cartridge.

Moreover, the PC software + usb cable is the only way to flash the cart in "single game" mode (useful for developers) and to revert back to multicart mode.

So the information in the manual is still relevant.

I suppose that when a new firmware will be released, the instructions and the loader for upgrading from SD will be posted again, like it happened with the 1.06 beta release.

Anyway, the cart comes already flashed with the latest bios and ready to use. You don't need to program it.

Is there a better place to find up-to-date Harmony information than the Harmony manual and web site?

The Harmony subforum here on AtariAge is the where you'll find the most up-to-date info.

• Like 1

I am not the designer of the PlusCart SD. However I have done a fair bit of work on the UI code for PlusCart and SD variant, and designed/sold the 3d printable cart shells for both variants. @Al_Nafuur is the real creditable designer for these cartridges. The software has been a bit of a community effort. I also reworked the circuit board design to make it UnoCart and SD-variant compatible. Others have also worked on the UI software. Mine was just a contributing role.

• Like 1

How does the PlusCart work if you're a game developer? Do you have a private locker in the PlusStore where you can upload your work-in-progress ROM? Or is there a way for the PlusCart to connect to your local server instead of the PlusStore, so you can load WIP ROMs?

For UnoCart 2600 and PlusCart, is the lack of support for DPC+, CDF, and CDFJ due to technical differences versus Harmony, or to a lack of info on how to implement those extensions? In an ideal world I'd think all the popular game extensions would be supported on all the major multi-carts (assuming the hardware is capable of it), to avoid fragmenting the audience.

32 minutes ago, bigmessowires said:

How does the PlusCart work if you're a game developer? Do you have a private locker in the PlusStore where you can upload your work-in-progress ROM? Or is there a way for the PlusCart to connect to your local server instead of the PlusStore, so you can load WIP ROMs?

You can create a PlusStore account here: https://plusstore.firmaplus.de/index.php/apps/registration/

(You might as well create a account with your PlusCart)

Every PlusStore account has a 15 MiB "My ROMs" space. 

To connect your PlusCart to this account see the manual:

https://pluscart.firmaplus.de/pico/?Manual#connect-plusstore

For UnoCart 2600 and PlusCart, is the lack of support for DPC+, CDF, and CDFJ due to technical differences versus Harmony, or to a lack of info on how to implement those extensions?

both.

In an ideal world...

We are not there yet

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Prizrak said:

Isn't DPC+/CDFJ proprietary stuff and that combined with different ARM processors the hurdle?

Yes and no. I think the DPC+/CDFJ stuff is documented well enough (e.g. by Stella's source code) to be able to implement it for the PlusCart too. However the different ARM processors are the main problem. E.g. the address ranges differ. Therefore the games would have to be recompiled for the PlusCart.

I think it is mix of lack of time and also a chicken and egg problem. 

• Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 8:27 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Yes and no.

I would say only yes

I think the DPC+/CDFJ stuff is documented well enough (e.g. by Stella's source code) to be able to implement it for the PlusCart too.

No, what Stella does is enough for emulation, but not enough for hardware (2600 + cartridge). The parts of DPC+/CDFJ that are important for the hardware are not documented publicly at all.

However the different ARM processors are the main problem. E.g. the address ranges differ. Therefore the games would have to be recompiled for the PlusCart.

I think it is mix of lack of time and also a chicken and egg problem. 

Yes

12 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

No, what Stella does is enough for emulation, but not enough for hardware (2600 + cartridge). The parts of DPC+/CDFJ that are important for the hardware are not documented publicly at all.

I am no hardware guy, so I wonder what is missing here. Can you explain to me?

23 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Sorry if this is a touchy subject, I'm merely curious. If the programmer's API for DPC+/CDFJ is published and documented, which I think it must be in order for game developers to use it, then isn't that alone enough information to construct a DPC+/CDFJ hardware emulator? As I understand it, that's exactly what Harmony, UnoCart, and PlusCart have all done for plain DPC emulation. Nobody knows exactly how David Crane's chip worked internally, but it doesn't really matter as long as you can build some hardware that exhibits the same external behavior. In the same way, I would think UnoCart/PlusCart could implement DPC+/CDFJ support by creating something with the same external behavior (known and documented), even if the internal implementation is quite different than Harmony's.

45 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I am no hardware guy, so I wonder what is missing here. Can you explain to me?

Stella is executing the custom ARM code within one 6502 CPU cycle. This is only possible because Stella is emulating the 2600.

@JetSetIlly is making a very very huge effort to emulate the custom code of DPC+ and CDFJ ROMs (but not the drivers) in gopher2600. He is much closer to what is happening on the hardware, but still not perfect.

5 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Stella is executing the custom ARM code within one 6502 CPU cycle. This is only possible because Stella is emulating the 2600.

Sorry, probably I don't get you. The emulation doesn't have to be 100% cycle perfect. Only developers would need that.

• Confused 1