What would you want to be enabled to buy from Atari?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Of all possible, impossible or fairly possible things Atari could conceivably produce and sell, what would you buy?

• A 2600-Mini, working on modern TVs, with original cartridge slots reading all regions, including all major titles?
    • A 5200-Mini, working with all modern TVs, having cartridge-slots reading all 5200 carts & including most major 5200 titles?
    • A 7800-Mini, working with all modern TVs, with cart-slots reading original 7800 games (both PAL and NTSC), and including all or a majority of original 7800-games
    • A Lynx-Mini, working with all modern TVs, with external cart-slot reading original Lynx-carts, having inbuilt all or a majority of original Lynx-titles
    • A Jaguar-Mini, working with all modern TVs, having s drive that’ll read original Jaguar publications 100% as to hardware reading, and containg all or most Jaguar-Titles
    • An Atari-Universal Console, which has the capabilities and the necessary slots to read and run all original Atari-console cartridges and mini-cards etc etc, on all modern TVs, nothing inbuilt, but costing less
    • An Atari-Universal Console with external hardware slots for all generations of cartridges and mem-cards, running on all modern TVs, and with many possibilities on a software download shop

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, zzip said:

So it's strange to me that people want emulators to do things that we wanted to get away from on real hardware,  slow I/O, loud floppy noises,  etc.

I suppose it's a fluid situation. It is for me. Sometimes I want drive sounds with WinUAE, sometimes not. Sometimes full-speed, sometimes not. Applies equally to emulators and real hardware.

There's beginning talk about emulating the keyboard sounds that are made when a key is struck. I wonder how they'll do that with membranes?

One thing that remains annoyingly incomplete and non-standardized is printer output.

Edited by Keatah

• 2 weeks later...

That Jaguar but with one custom chip including real CPU, GPU and Soundsystem simply everything. No FPGA or ARM emulation. Custom chip also with turbo mode 68060 freescale (now NXP) instruction like 100mhz or even higher and huge RAM for new games. And made in US or made in EU (those 68060 architecture can be done in US or EU). And also Jaguar VR cheap virtual reality headset. Retro virtual reality. Like for 200 or 300 usd. Or Lynx same philosophy. Maybe that chipset can be used in TVs, cars, planes, trains simple games for teenagers, kids...

Edited by Matej

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 5:30 AM, GoldLeader said:

I would want Atari to come over and clean my house and also paint my siding...Like in the Summer.

If you pay, - someone just precisely corporate enough, wouid probably come and wash away dirt as to leave  a Atari… logo .. the clean Atari logo… then paint your siding with the… Atari logo… 

… they’d probably also sell you Atari-cereals, Atari-microwave-dinners, Atari-sneakers, Atari-skateboards and rollerblades, the new Atari-Car (the Mitsubishi 2600), the official Atari toilett-paper-rolls (each sheet has on it a famous title), Atari-life-insurance, Atari-lawyers and of course the new Atari-burger… 

… because, you know, just seeing the Atari-logo is equal to or greater than…   the actual hands-on gaming-experience…

Why play… (suppressed laugh) … stupid, real video games… when aall you need is an Atari-Logo-pill…?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2023 at 8:54 PM, Matej said:

That Jaguar but with one custom chip including real CPU, GPU and Soundsystem simply everything. No FPGA or ARM emulation. Custom chip also with turbo mode 68060 freescale (now NXP) instruction like 100mhz or even higher and huge RAM for new games. And made in US or made in EU (those 68060 architecture can be done in US or EU). And also Jaguar VR cheap virtual reality headset. Retro virtual reality. Like for 200 or 300 usd. Or Lynx same philosophy. Maybe that chipset can be used in TVs, cars, planes, trains simple games for teenagers, kids...

Why the particulars here?

(Just curious…)

Why not an Atari Universal Retro-Console do it for you… (if it could play everything from 2600 - Jaguar)?

You then have options to increase your actual retro-gaming collection to everything-Atari… and play it on modern TVs…?

Again, I ask because I’m curious…

Edited by Giles N

If Atari would make Universal Atari Retro-console - eating and digesting anything from the past -, they’d secure interest in old and new gamers collecting actual carts and cards from the past, still in circulation (secure actual interest from actual [retro-]-gamers), secure a possibility of interest for people buying exclusive high-quality modern Atari-owned reproductions of titles own (and may get back), secure that the a Retro-console with actual maximally broad backward-‘compatibility’ would bring the Atari-name into its proper sphere: consoles/game-hardware and digital games…, secure a meaning for new gen. retro-gamers (explorers) to check out the past… 

- - -

Names, Logo’s and letters… what’s that … without actual content, without actual experiences… ?

I must ask - why make something that everyone can already do for free (or at least half a dozen other ways already)?  How many retro console remakes do we need?  How many more devices that can play 2600 games do we need?  How many mini-devices?  New hardware requiring someone to acquire already rare and bastardly overpriced carts for it, are not going to help anyone experience new stuff.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I must ask - why make something that everyone can already do for free (or at least half a dozen other ways already)?  How many retro console remakes do we need?  How many more devices that can play 2600 games do we need?  How many mini-devices?  New hardware requiring someone to acquire already rare and bastardly overpriced carts for it, are not going to help anyone experience new stuff.

1) «How many retro console remakes do we need?»

- as many as can make it meaningful for Atari and retro-game collectors (having spent this or that many dollars, euros, british pounds etc, can play/use their deliberately assembled collections etc, effortlessly on devices that runs on 2020ies TV/Hardware.

How many more devices that can play 2600 games do we need? 

- I put out several retro-loading hardware-options, - the 2600-only being the first of many options.

(And I think a Atari-Universal Retro Console, - playing everything from the past on modern TVs, would be much better… my opinion, my choice … ok)

How many mini-devices?

Answer:   1

… yes, 1 single quality-device mini or Tower, - if it has slots reading and using everything Atari from 1972 up until today… thats all we need.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Giles N said:

Why not an Atari Universal Retro-Console do it for you… (if it could play everything from 2600 - Jaguar)?

Why not indeed. Except we already have that. A miniPC or nuTARI VCS populated with the best emulators and your favorite games. Might even come to prefer the amazingly wondrous benefits such a setup has to offer.

And its so easy to put away when your mom makes you clean your room.

5 hours ago, Giles N said:

(And I think a Atari-Universal Retro Console, - playing everything from the past on modern TVs, would be much better… my opinion, my choice … ok)

It is. Through and through. And a modern HDMI-enabled device talks to modern televisions without troublesome converters and mods.

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

1) «How many retro console remakes do we need?»

[..]

Certainly not any more than we already have. 99.999999998 of people in this hobby already have hardware suitable for running all their childhood favorites and so much more.

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

Again really none. We've already got the nuTARI VCS. Stuff it with emulators and away you go! The popular emulators are so damned good as it is. They're free. And you will learn to appreciate having 2600 games and 400/800 games in an All-In-One console.

BTW if you don't want a nuVCS then just get that miniPC and buy the silver Atari logo from ebay for $2.95. It's a sharp chrome thing that exudes ATARI no matter which angle you view it from.

It really converts a miniPC to an AIO Atari! I tested it to be sure!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

I tend to think that people are asking for more hardware as they focus in on what they really want out of vintage Atari gaming. I believe they are wanting to buy something that brings back the old days of cartridge buying and accumulation. Something that evokes exploration of the then-new artform of video-gaming in the safety and warmth of the plush carpeted living room. Parents walking in with 2 paper bags of groceries, one of them having the quintessential food-is-in-here indicator, a French Bread loaf sticking out of it, the other some leafy greens spilling over its lip. And plopping a new cartridge on the table too.

Each one of those mini-devices seems make some promise of bringing back that nostalgia. But they fall short in some way or other.

Building up an emulation setup over the past 30 years means the sentimental and nostalgic factor is pretty high for myself. But I don't think it takes that long, as a good portion of 3 decades was waiting for emulators to become good enough. I think the whole process could take under 4 years if one goes at like an hour a week. I guess.

I like Atari merch and games, but I wish they would release greater quantaties.

How many things like the USB thumb drive, or classic carts do they release to only be instantly sold out and never gets restocked?

Sold out means there's definitely a market, but curious about no reprinting things like a 2600 game that sells for $100-$250 a pop.

Bet in the 80's nobody would have thought a 2600 game would release, much less sell out at that price point.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 7:12 PM, Giles N said:

If Atari would make Universal Atari Retro-console - eating and digesting anything from the past -, they’d secure interest in old and new gamers collecting actual carts and cards from the past, still in circulation (secure actual interest from actual [retro-]-gamers), secure a possibility of interest for people buying exclusive high-quality modern Atari-owned reproductions of titles own (and may get back), secure that the a Retro-console with actual maximally broad backward-‘compatibility’ would bring the Atari-name into its proper sphere: consoles/game-hardware and digital games…, secure a meaning for new gen. retro-gamers (explorers) to check out the past… 

That's exactly what the new Atari VCS does, it can play virtually anything from previous Atari console, computers and arcade cabinets.

Now if you are holding out for something that can directly read cartridges/disk/tapes from all those systems instead of using dumps or achieve all that without using emulation, then you're probably going to be waiting a long time

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 1:09 AM, Keatah said:

I believe they are wanting to buy something that brings back the old days of cartridge buying and accumulation. Something that evokes exploration of the then-new artform of video-gaming in the safety and warmth of the plush carpeted living room.

If we are looking at non-Atari, for me Switch is what absolutely fills that for me. Even when I buy physical on my PS4, a lot of games need 30+ GB of updates to run, with Switch you can play almost anything right off of the cartridge, and a great couch multiplayer focus(8+ players). I really wish the VCS had physical media.

On 3/12/2023 at 6:29 AM, Keatah said:

not indeed. Except we already have that. A miniPC or nuTARI VCS populated with the best emulators

… mayhap I or thee, worded myself too rashly in this

… but how com’st no usb nor hdmi, will’st to play 

my ol’ & new atari-carts through hardware-ports displayed?

But only what’s tricksters’ soft and from originals thus separate’d 

to emulate in cheap mimicry, the real hard carts ordinated, 

e ‘en also the new carts now design’d and postulate’d

thus to bereave from the most intent to truly retro-game

and by that, make void that seen and verified difference betwixt 

true embodied retro-Carts play’d,  and illusion’d game of maimed MAME?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2023 at 2:36 AM, Stephen said:

… part of the reason is that it’s official and up and out there … to compete the challengers, to complete the collectors out there (… collectors of carts and cards even for decades , mayhap), to encourage the atari-fans already out-there… to go on and use and utilize the things made, to have a yesteryear of gaming be celebrated and remembered still, to plow ground for the atari-future which must make the past hallmarks visible, known and available, and thus to ensure that Atari will cater to the common fun-time, the leisures and relaxations of common people, common families, common groups of friends, common gamers - casual, pretty-in-there or die-hard… 

Consoles for the Collectors…

Consoles for the all-timers … collecting from day 1, up until today…

Consoles… which rewards those who’ve collected overpriced retro-carts ‘n cards for long times, to see them play perfectly on a modern system 

(… these collectors intended to collect; why not reward them … [from an Atari-perspective] ?  …) 

number of retro-console-remakes really needed: 

answer:   0 

… that is; if it doesn’t run original (and original-styled) carts and carts…

… and hopefully such retro-console-remakes would also get e-shops expanding in what they sell…

—-

Mini-devices…?

Answer: 1 single piece of ultra-strong harware reading all types of atari hardware-carts, carts, cds & whatever else may remain, 

… rewarding atari-collectors from 1972 - 2022 for any effort, any buy they-we-us ever did…

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

… mayhap I or thee, worded myself too rashly in this

… but how com’st no usb nor hdmi, will’st to play 

my ol’ & new atari-carts through hardware-ports displayed?

But only what’s tricksters’ soft and from originals thus separate’d 

to emulate in cheap mimicry, the real hard carts ordinated, 

e ‘en also the new carts now design’d and postulate’d

thus to bereave from the most intent to truly retro-game

and by that, make void that seen and verified difference betwixt 

true embodied retro-Carts play’d,  and illusion’d game of maimed MAME?

That's what I was gonna say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

That's what I was gonna say.

Ay,  thou art’ precise  in thy philosophies, my dear, beloved @GoldLeader, so I came thee in advance,

so to spare thee the most troublesome times which wil’t, - nay must -,  follow from such rashly and brazen words,

… from which only struggle of passions unbriddled, will find e’en yet more cause for enmity between those 

who’d els’where not be slung into times of unfortunes most disastrous

may be as brothers in cause loyal and unite’d 

Alas… but now we see ourselves all divided at rapier-edges of irreconcileable dreams of what tools may truly be thus produced as to satisfy e’en our most base and natural inclinations for our self-provided mechanisms of most private jestery and merry-making…

Thus… our poor wits given to the slings and arrows of the most outrageous chances of the makers of the mechanics of the commun’d and answered jestery of our age…

… sophistications of answering machinery…

… makes us all flinch and flee from purpose…

awaiting mere chance, not advancing intend’d cause, 

our wish for partaking in merry jestery now foul’d and embittered…

… we’e place’d ourselves in the hands of those who should be our companions and brethren … 

… now estranged by fame and fortune and insidious strategies of Men,

… we lose words, our open minds given to the rapier-edge of immediate profit, 

and ingenious thoughts to gambling of men swayed by most fearful disposition,

… and thus that ingenuity which in times long ago produced the brilliance of chess,

and all noble chivalry,

… now lost to the base and most impatient cheapness of a lesser age,

lesser in advancent of that which most gives increase to all which it received from the prior trials of Existence…

… and thus forgotten, it thinks any step it makes itself t’be the epithome of all advancements, merely since it was made in that age, by those, them,

Yet, no generations … all which longs for consolations of the temporal time to evr’y all alloted, seeking Consoles to be their personal Jester, Joker and Bard, can truly find that which carries all, plays all plays, understands all fun, reads all codes, draws all Carts, open up all to all merry that most mortals’ wish to have … from time to time…

Not e’en those who’re given onto loyalty to their own chosen trades’ Name,

… seem to care to adhere to this  streak of a common human game

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Yup.

A most true summary indeed!

Most true! 

- - -

Okey … what you said there was pretty much all I wanted to say…

Man, … how you nail things with just a word!!!

—-

Anyway, an Atari Universal-Console w/ retro-hardware-slots would be another level of things than a semi-pro PC with an Atari-logo on it, which in PC-mode could, guess what … run MAME…

• Haha 1

I've lately been thinking...And I would like to sample the Jaguar without paying Jaguar prices...So a new version or Jag Mini,  though something with a cart slot would be preferred...(Or yes an all-in-one that played Jag as part of "all").  And to my knowledge Jaguar emulation doesn't "really" work,  or works only half the time...Plus I'd want the Jaguar controller to try out so...

Edited by GoldLeader
BTW, I don't really know anythng about Jag emulators so...Just going off what I read

I picked the Atari 2600 mini with the cartridge port but it would have to have the 2600 on a chip that was in some Atari Junior's or an FPGA to feel like a real Atari and not another emulator console; that would also prevent the frame merging and fake jitter rolls while allowing compatibility with all enhanced Atari games and flashcarts.

I need to download that new Jag emulator! It looks great and the author is cool, I like him :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keatah said:

I hadn't tried it yet, but isn't BigPigEmu supposed to be pretty good?

No idea...Does it work?

(I added in my Edit what I should have mentioned up front is that I can only go off of what I've read, and that I know very little about them).

Of course I'd rather have a console shaped object, near and plugged into my TV, Plus a Jaguar controller to try out...And I'd pay "more" for that,  but would still like to avoid "Jaguar Prices" which are out of sight...

• Like 2