What would you want to be enabled to buy from Atari?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Of all possible, impossible or fairly possible things Atari could conceivably produce and sell, what would you buy?

• A 2600-Mini, working on modern TVs, with original cartridge slots reading all regions, including all major titles?
    • A 5200-Mini, working with all modern TVs, having cartridge-slots reading all 5200 carts & including most major 5200 titles?
    • A 7800-Mini, working with all modern TVs, with cart-slots reading original 7800 games (both PAL and NTSC), and including all or a majority of original 7800-games
    • A Lynx-Mini, working with all modern TVs, with external cart-slot reading original Lynx-carts, having inbuilt all or a majority of original Lynx-titles
    • A Jaguar-Mini, working with all modern TVs, having s drive that’ll read original Jaguar publications 100% as to hardware reading, and containg all or most Jaguar-Titles
    • An Atari-Universal Console, which has the capabilities and the necessary slots to read and run all original Atari-console cartridges and mini-cards etc etc, on all modern TVs, nothing inbuilt, but costing less
    • An Atari-Universal Console with external hardware slots for all generations of cartridges and mem-cards, running on all modern TVs, and with many possibilities on a software download shop

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

OOHhh  I got one!

The Nutari Classic Joystick!

(Not the knockoff they went with,...The one where they tried to get the prototype (through deception) so they could have a cheap knockoff cloned in China and...ahhh nobody cares I guess...)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

OOHhh  I got one!

The Nutari Classic Joystick!

(Not the knockoff they went with,...The one where they tried to get the prototype (through deception) so they could have a cheap knockoff cloned in China and...ahhh nobody cares I guess...)

Nutari?   Is that a thing?  What does this look like?

10 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Nutari?   Is that a thing?  What does this look like?

New + Atari = Nutari    (AKA This version of Atari,  sort of,...and their shenanigan's w/ regards to the tacobox...)

(Wasn't sure if your question was a joke or not hahah)

• Like 1

I would love a full size Atari 2600 console that plays both 2600 and 7800  .    Two models  six shooter wood grain and the Vader model.  They connect via HDMI.  No compatible issues with some titles or homebrews or the paddels   and sell a 5200 adapter and it has the POKEY chip somehow incorporated.  

If they make that happen, sell for under $200 and they have a hit on their hands. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Wouldn’t a pi with retro pie with a cart slot be about the same thing? People make these to run Atari and nes and do sd cards. A cart slot would probably be adaptable. I’m building a retro pie when my parts get here. Gonna draw my case in cad to look like a 7800.

9 minutes ago, chriswhit said:

Wouldn’t a pi with retro pie with a cart slot be about the same thing?

Yep!  This was discussed in a different context probably, oh, four years ago at this point.  There was much butthurt.

9 minutes ago, chriswhit said:

People make these to run Atari and nes and do sd cards. A cart slot would probably be adaptable. I’m building a retro pie when my parts get here. Gonna draw my case in cad to look like a 7800.

Which RasPi did you go with, and did the vendor have them in stock?  Been holding off on buying another couple until the supply situation is sorted out, but I've seen some stuff trickling in.

On 6/21/2023 at 7:56 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

Yep!  This was discussed in a different context probably, oh, four years ago at this point.  There was much butthurt.

Which RasPi did you go with, and did the vendor have them in stock?  Been holding off on buying another couple until the supply situation is sorted out, but I've seen some stuff trickling in.

I went with this. Technically 2gb is really all you need but I’m considering windows 98 to run with a 7800 dev modded console. 3d print a case that looks similar to the xm module. Pi will work on a pi zero, a pi 3 is better and a pi 4 technically overkill. I have retro pie on one these now but haven’t used it much. It will do nes, snes, sega genesis, 2600 and 7800, not sure on 5200 as I haven’t reallly checked things out much. I will say it’s a better setup than the new vcs. Not meaning the vcs junk just not half as good as I expected for the $. I got snes controllers with usb plug. I dislike the cases out there. I mean the nes is cool but the mini Atari printable cases could be better. I’m gonna make one in cad that looks like a mini 7800. Retro pi is pretty sweet though. You can add roms. I’ve only added a couple just to try it. 

027B062E-C556-4FB0-981E-A9A2F02ACF7D.png

Edited by chriswhit
  • Like 1

They could ramp up the VCS to the next level - a full-on Tower gamer PC with a line-up of hardware-slots that reads flawlessly Atari 2600, 5200, 8-Bit (800/XL)-carts, 7800-carts, Lynx-cards, Jaguar Discs/carts (whatever it used) (the way the Hyperkin Retron reads Sega and Nintendo etc)

It could come with a bonus-system or Atari-crypto-currency to use on Atari-games.

With a full-fledged gamer-PC hardware there would be competition with steam or microsoft.

With exclusive Atari-bonus-systems, it would make it reasonable for Atari-fans to that rather than a common/neutral PC.

With a top-deck of hardware slots reading original Atari-carts, collectors, retro-gamers and Atari-longtime-fans would be very satisfied, and it could introduce retrogame-collecting to new generations and gamers.

So it would cater to PC-gamers, Atari-fans alike while getting new people interested in Atari-history and enable them to play games from third-party companies made for Atari-hardware the last 5 decades.

The hardware could be high-quality but normal PC-gaming hardware + special top-section/deck for reading original carts.

If Atari plans to release exclusive re-runs/reproduction series of their games, such a PC with retro-slots would be perfect for attracting interest for collecting these re-runs.

They could then have hardware-collectors edition cart-reruns of all the titles they so far have provided to the Evercade, Switch/PS4+5 etc.

Bonus points or Atari-crypto could (perhaps) be given for every collector-cart re-released, which could br used on Atari-related things in their stores (games, merch, etc).

That sounds good, but it would emulate hardware rather than be hardware, which I've no problems with (as long as it is supported to make it more compatible as time goes on) but...is there worthwhile emulation for jaguar? I know there are emulators, but most center around one, or a handful of games. Still, all the 8 bits and lynx would be cool, and only require four ports (unless you get into computer stuff)

What gets me, is (not just Atari, but everybody) had perfect emulators at one time, what the hell happens to them? In case you don't know, development systems, after all, any game made HAS to work on the original hardware, so it seems to me "they'd have to pay royalties to whoever to use emulation" is a moot point.

4 hours ago, Video said:

That sounds good, but it would emulate hardware rather than be hardware

Perhaps there could be a combination of special atari-hardware elements and use of emulation-softwares, either by obtaining the means to use whats already there, or develope special emulation-software (of course more costly and time-consuming).

4 hours ago, Video said:

.is there worthwhile emulation for jaguar?

They could pay Digital Eclipse to expand their work of Jaguar ports for their 50th anniversary to a full Jaguar emulation-software.

I mean, as DE have worked these titles to run on Switch, PS4/5, XBox(SX), and PC, they must at least have looked into the subject-matter.

Edited by Giles N

11 hours ago, Giles N said:

With a full-fledged gamer-PC hardware there would be competition with steam or microsoft.

This should read ‘…there wouldn’t be competition with steam or microsoft’,

Both worlds would be right there in one unit.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

BigPemu has changed the game on Jaguar emulation in the last few months

Please support Rich if you can - he's in one hell of a bad way.  This is not solicited, but I feel I should spread the request for help.  Even if it is a positive thought.  Fuck cancer.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/4/2023 at 8:22 PM, GoldLeader said:

Where's my Jaguar mini that also plays 7800, 2600, 5200, A8, and Lynx through the card slot?

Let’s hope it may come around, even if it will be in steps…

… seems like there are things being attempted by Atari now, to get PCs or the VCS to be hooked up to this PlayMaji-console or App.

Unaquinted with how it all works, or will work together as a final thing or solution, but if it in time gives good access to both old classic Atari-carts, new Atari games (remakes or completely new), while also may introduce players to a hardware thing that can play old Sega, Nintendo, Sony and Turbogrfx-stuff, including Sega 32X and Sega CD - I think they’re onto something huge if they can justify a rather costly unit …

… done right, it could become the dream-unit for retro collectors while not utterly estranging modern gamers…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

also play the Amico games through a Club Amico App

… and Evercade-module + App and Retron5-module + App…

Yup, the situation could get out of control…

The developement should be kept under close surveillance so it doesn’t get sentience and assimilates all necessary parts to make for itself a Pentagon-server-station module + App, which it then lets players use to play Missile Command…

Edited by Giles N