IGNORED

U1MB, Incognito, 1088XEL/XLD, SIDE, SIDE2 firmware 4.2 released

flashjazzcat

18 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

It LOOKS as if Rapidus is on M1, but if you could take a photo from the left hand side of the machine, focusing on where that very long grey wire (from Rapidus) connects to the U1MB, it would remove all doubt. :)

There it is. 😃

IMG_20230806_160005_070.thumb.jpg.bd10d385fc7258773390a4da371dce88.jpg

The other picture was from 2021 (or so) so I first had to open my XL again after all this time.

Anyway, I hope this picture helps? Btw, nothing changed in my 800XL within these years.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Simply by re-writing a few things here and there (it seems with fresh eyes, things can always be made a bit smaller still), I have only another seven bytes to recover, and all five plugins will fit into 2K.

Wish you luck to find those seven bytes. 😉

44 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Well, the consistently reproducible issues were actually quite isolated and not 'show-stoppers' depending on your point of view. The most easily reproducible (and seemingly impossible to overcome on any of the half a dozen or so Rapidus machines I've had through my hands) was an unwanted cold reboot when system reset was pressed at the SDX prompt when Rapidus was in 'Classic' mode.

Guess I unintentionally never discovered this bug because Jürgen installed both rapidus and u1mb at the same time (my machine works rock solid btw). This led to the fact that I only use the u1mb plugin to disable/enable rapidus and never use it in 'Classic' mode (actually up to now I didn't even know that such thing exists and I don't see any use of such a mode when I can just switch rapidus on and off with u1mb's plugin).

I mean, what is the purpose of using an accelerated card in other modes than accelerated?

If I don't want to use that functionality I can simple switch it off and use the Atari as if there were no accelerator card installed (no problem that this requires a hard power-cycle).

Nevertheless I hope the O2 fixer helps your customer with these issues and he can enjoy a fully working Atari machine.

Edited by patjomki

31 minutes ago, patjomki said:

Anyway, I hope this picture helps?

Perfect - many thanks. M1 it is. :)

11 minutes ago, patjomki said:

I mean, what is the purpose of using an accelerated card in other modes than accelerated?

Presumably Classic mode was intended for systems where no U1MB is present, and thus where there is no means of soft-disabling/enabling the device (although I must say that it was a user - probably Beetle - who came up with the idea of controlling Rapidus in U1MB in the first place). Of course, you might say 'No U1MB? No problem!', but it wasn't necessarily all plain-sailing in that context.

11 minutes ago, patjomki said:

Nevertheless I hope the O2 fixer helps your customer with these issues and he can enjoy a fully working Atari machine.

Likewise.

Edited by flashjazzcat

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Please try this plugin when you find time and let me know of any issues:

VBSOS2P2RA Plugin.zip 1.73 kB · 5 downloads

Once that's done, I'll see about releasing the update.

Downloaded the plugin. 

It's a mixed experience. First of all it recognizes all of my expansions like vbxe, sophia2, pokeymax3 and rapidus. Booted without AVG cart so cannot say anything about side 2 at the moment.

Two problems occured.

Rapidus appears as enabled but is grayed out.

When I am booting without any sio device or cartridge installed it doesn't boot into basic or selftest but instead says boot error, boot error, boot error etc.

Edit: Just reflashed the old VXS2STCO.ROM and the same behaviour when booting without sio device. Basic or selftest don't start.

Edited by patjomki

16 minutes ago, patjomki said:

Just reflashed the old VXS2STCO.ROM and the same behaviour when booting without sio device. Basic or selftest don't start.

Presumably there's a disk volume causing the boot error. That has nothing to do with the plugin.

17 minutes ago, patjomki said:

Rapidus appears as enabled but is grayed out.

I think I see the issue there (optimisation!). :) Try this:

VBSOS2P2RA Plugin - fixed.zip

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Presumably there's a disk volume causing the boot error. That has nothing to do with the plugin.

VBSOS2P2RA Plugin - fixed.zip 1.73 kB · 0 downloads

Now the plugin works as expected (except side2 which I couldn't test yet). Fantastic work. Thank you.

As it is possible to disable rapidus with the plugin I can tell you that the boot error is gone. 

It only appears again, when I enable rapidus and there is no sio device attached but I don't know if this is expected behaviour. Usually I only use rapidus with an sio/cartridge attached. In the latter case even rapidus is working fine. I tested it with stunt car racer loaded as an atr from avg cart with sio cable.

Edited by patjomki
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, patjomki said:

It only appears again, when I enable rapidus and there is no sio device attached but I don't know if this is expected behaviour.

Check which OS Rapidus is using (i.e. whether 'Rapidus OS' is enabled in the Rapidus settings, reachable with Reverse-video+Reset). The 65C816 OS handles booting a little differently to normal, as I recall.

6 minutes ago, patjomki said:

Now the plugin works as expected (except side2 which I couldn't test yet). Fantastic work. Thank you.

You're welcome!

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

Check which OS Rapidus is using (i.e. whether 'Rapidus OS' is enabled in the Rapidus settings, reachable with Reverse-video+Reset). The 65C816 OS handles booting a little differently to normal, as I recall.

Thanks. Never seen this menu before. 😀

I have a 65C816 OS enabled.

Well, guess next stop is flashing my rapidus to a current rapidus OS, core booter, BIOS+Menu but this has to wait until next weekend.

Edited by patjomki

Thanks almost entirely to @fenrock over on the Fujinet discord, I uncovered and fixed bug last night in the U1MB SIDE3 PBI BIOS which appears to affect only the 'SIO devices: All' setting pertaining to the high-speed SIO driver. This resulted in the Fujinet device ($70) not being polled for high-speed operation (which it should be when high-speed operation is applied to 'All' devices), although emulated disk devices ($3x) were polled as normal. The bug was caused by contention for the same memory location by several buffers and variables; a necessary optimisation with the SIDE3 implementation and otherwise perfectly workable, but unfortunately I overlooked the fact that the same location was used twice in the same context (high-speed polling) in this instance.

The fixed version (which - as mentioned - affects only recent versions of the SIDE3 PBI BIOS) will be released in a forthcoming update, but for now, I'm uploading the file here for anyone else experiencing high-speed issues with the Fujinet config app:

s3ulpbi.rom

Flash to the 'PBI BIOS' slot using UFLASH as per usual, replacing your existing U1MB SIDE3 PBI BIOS.

Note: having fixed the issue of no high-speed polling of the Fujinet device itself, and despite the fact this generally allows CONFIG to operate much more quickly when browsing servers, etc, I also observed intermittent but very lengthy IRQST polling hangs while Fujinet is attempting to fetch filenames at 126Kb/s from the server, both on real hardware and using Altirra/Fujinet-PC. Presumably SIDE2 PBI BIOS/Incognito/high-speed patch OS users with Fujinet will already be used to this, but I thought it worth pointing out nevertheless. The workaround would be to disable HSIO or to drop the Fujinet IO speed a little in the web config. I'm sure the Fujinet devs will get to the bottom of that issue presently, if they haven't already been investigating it for the past couple of years.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 10:36 PM, flashjazzcat said:

Wow. Well, I suppose the quickstart guide at the end of the installation manual consists of '8. Power on ATARI and ENJOY'. :)

No problem at all because on page " " of the user's manual there is clearly written: "                ". 🙃

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 8:33 PM, flashjazzcat said:

VBSOS2P2RA Plugin - fixed.zip 1.73 kB · 9 downloads

Perhaps something more happened during optimisation.

Now I can disable/enable Rapidus but even though when I disable rapidus it still shows 'enabled' at System Information.

IMG_20230817_131845_114.thumb.jpg.e65a7c79cd1834dbc8347a44db0e7918.jpg

IMG_20230817_131857_218.thumb.jpg.6db8adfee5c9804dc662738777beb4f8.jpg

And then in System Information the PokeyMax version no. looks demolished. I have 127M16HK installed (see attached picture from Pokeymax config) but in System Information it shows only garbage in part of the string.

IMG_20230817_131919_569.thumb.jpg.eb30d2b0bbe6c58c06dd52b0974a2481.jpg

IMG_20230817_131835_253.thumb.jpg.a71cb6e8bc19d18b080579d8b450724c.jpg

Edited by patjomki

1 hour ago, patjomki said:

Now I can disable/enable Rapidus but even though when I disable rapidus it still shows 'enabled' at System Information.

Did you cycle power after disabling Rapidus in this manner, before inspecting System Information again? IIRC, power-cycling is a necessary step.

1 hour ago, patjomki said:

And then in System Information the PokeyMax version no. looks demolished. I have 127M16HK installed (see attached picture from Pokeymax config) but in System Information it shows only garbage in part of the string.

I think I see the issue here: contention for the same locations from both the PokeyMAX core string and the Rapidus flags. Let me fix that.

58 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Try this:plugin.rom

Now the panel 'System Information' has the correct string '127M16HK' at PokeyMAX.

The bug with rapidus remains.

I can set Rapidus to 'Enabled' or 'Disabled' at the panel 'Device Control' but whatever I do on the panel 'System Information' there is always written 'Rapidus Enabled'.

I always save configuration then powercycle when I enable/disable rapidus but it doesn't help. You know I can see the correct state of rapidus on the 'Device Control' panel but it still drives me mad when on the 'System Information' panel the wrong state ('Enabled') is written when rapidus is disabled.

Please keep in mind that I still have Rapidus Configuration Menu Revision 1.0 (15. Nov. 2016) and an old rapidus bios (how to find out which rev.?) because I do not know how to upgrade.

28 minutes ago, patjomki said:

The bug with rapidus remains.

OK - thanks for testing this promptly and confirming one issue is fixed. Regarding the other problem: before I start looking for another bug, are you quite sure you have Rapidus GND connected to the M1 pin on the U1MB?

Nope - unless you moved it, clearly it's on M1.

Edited by flashjazzcat

21 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

See if we have it right now:

plugin.rom 2 kB · 0 downloads

The Rapidus detection routine was somehow not comparing memory with the complete ID sequence, but just three $FFs (which I imagine would exist at $D800 even when Rapidus is disabled).

Unfortunately not. Now rapidus is correctly described as 'Disabled' on 'System information' panel but I cannot change the state on 'Device Control' panel any longer. There rapidus is also 'Disabled' AND greyed.

Edited by patjomki

6 minutes ago, patjomki said:

Unfortunately not. Now rapidus is correctly described as 'Disabled' on 'System information' panel but I cannot change the state on 'Device Control' panel any longer. There rapidus is also 'Disabled' AND greyed.

LOL. It's getting its revenge on me. Looks like I'll have to set it up in the emulator, at the very least.