IGNORED

2K and climbing

25 minutes ago, WavyGravy said:

That's... not the lesson to take away from that.
You keep giving them what they want. Stop it, and they'll stop doing it. I don't intend any offense, but you may be the most trollable person I've ever met because you react to absolutely everything. It's not something to be proud of, it's indicative of a profound lack of self-control.
You're crowing about the number of posts in this forum, but how much of that discussion is useful, and how much of it is you getting ultra-defensive anytime someone challenges one of your opinions? The signal to noise ratio is pretty grim, and that's way more important than how many posts are being made.

I guess we see it differently. I immediately think of sayings such as "any publicity is good publicity" and "it is always preferable to have attention focused on a name than to be unnoticed", but that's just me. I see one console not getting anywhere near enough attention as far as I'm concerned, and I'm happy to raise its awareness in multiple ways. And, let's be clear, you might claim the ratio is all grim, but I've posted many articles and over 368 posts since I came in here, and I promise you the vast majority of them are about celebrating the SNES and showing off its features and so on. And some are also getting caught up in random debates with trolls, which happens. So I'm okay with the ratio. But, like I said, teh modern Internet. Who knows who's getting upset about some heated and passionate debate in this day and age, right.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

9 minutes ago, Wayler said:

Oh lordy. I don't think you understand the concept of trolling. In what world or scenario would a troll be destroyed with a wall of text?

Haven't you seen/read/heard on the Internet how words can be so powerful and hurtful that we all have to be protected from them? The modders know what I'm talkin' about, I have no doubt.

Well, unless we're all being lied to . . . words will suffice for now.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

Genesis had different better games than SNES’s different better games.

Streets of Rage 2, still considered by many to be one of the best 2-player beat’um ups. Final Fight is likely considered the top beat’um up on SNES, but it was only 1-player.

Final Fantasy III (6 really) is considered by many to be one of the best JRPGs. Genesis had Phantasy Star II (I hear some say PS IV is the best in the series, but haven’t played it so I don’t really know)

As far as turned based strategy RPGs, SNES didn’t have much in the USA. Front Mission, Fire Emblem, and Langrisser didn’t get translations. Genesis got Langrisser/Warsong (GEN) and had the wonderful Shining Force I/II. For more western strategy games, there was Civilization (SNES), Sim City (SNES), and Super Conflict (SNES), while Genesis got Dune (GEN), Star Control (GEN), and Star Flight (GEN), Pirates Gold (GEN).

What genre is SNES lacking in that could use a demake/port from another system’s library?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I guess we see it differently. I immediately think of sayings such as "any publicity is good publicity" and "it is always preferable to have attention focused on a name than to be unnoticed", but that's just me. I see one console not getting enough attention, and I'm happy to raise its awareness. And, let's be clear, you might claim the ratio is all grim, but I've posted many articles and over 368 posts since I came in here, and I promise you the vast majority of them are about celebrating the SNES and showing off its features and so on. So I'm okay with the ratio. But, like I said, teh modern Internet. Who knows who's getting upset about some heated and passionate debate in this day and age, right.

The SNES does not need a PR agent, and nobody needs a PR agent who goes around starting shit-fights by overreacting to every perceived slight everywhere they go.
Your inability to ignore trolls or even just be civil with people who legitimately disagree with you does this community a disservice. The mods are absolutely correct to keep you on a short leash because if they let you go around "destroying" people, whatever that's supposed to mean, then it's going to reflect poorly on not just the SNES community, but AtariAge as a whole. Nobody's going to want to post anything valuable here if they see that all discussion is usually drowned out by one guy getting poked by trolls and taking the bait every. Single. Time.
If you actually care about the community and the discourse, you need to reign it in because you're either going to get banned or wind up alone with the trolls in here.

• Like 5

Was I trolling? Yes, of course I was.  Because this whole thread is ridiculous. Nobody needs a thread bragging about how many posts are now in this subforum.  Who cares?  By now everybody on AtariAge knows you as the Super NES superfan.  Now is there anything particularly wrong with that? No, there is not.  Keetah is the emulation guy, fdurso224/Charlie Cat/Anthony is the NeoGeo guy, Atariboy has a cat as his avatar, and ZylonBane is, well, ZylonBane, among many other users known for something.  But your incessant need for the Super NES subforum to have more content than all others, or maybe just the Genesis, is tiring.  If you want to create more content, go ahead, but threads like this are not needed.

Now I admit I like tweaking Nintendo fanboys.  It is just something I enjoy.  Is it mature? No, definitely not, but I still find it fun.  And in 1,000 more posts if your start a thread celebrating hitting 3,000 posts, then I will probably do the same thing.

And just to make a point, this is not a Super NES forum.  This is an ATARI forum with a Super NES subforum.

I will no longer troll in this thread.  I apologize to anybody who I may have upset, which I doubt anybody actually got upset about my juvenile fun.  I do like the Super NES, just not as much as the Genesis or the TurboGrafx-16.

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, WavyGravy said:

The SNES does not need a PR agent, and nobody needs a PR agent who goes around starting shit-fights by overreacting to every perceived slight everywhere they go.
Your inability to ignore trolls or even just be civil with people who legitimately disagree with you does this community a disservice. The mods are absolutely correct to keep you on a short leash because if they let you go around "destroying" people, whatever that's supposed to mean, then it's going to reflect poorly on not just the SNES community, but AtariAge as a whole. Nobody's going to want to post anything valuable here if they see that all discussion is usually drowned out by one guy getting poked by trolls and taking the bait every. Single. Time.
If you actually care about the community and the discourse, you need to reign it in because you're either going to get banned or wind up alone with the trolls in here.

So, the troll just openly and happily admitted he was trolling--and then actually received some happy upvotes for doing so--and somehow I'm still receiving the barrage. How about just calling out the troll and telling them to maybe stop and/or leave if they can't act nice, or, shock, even reporting them for deliberate and intentional trolling. I think openly trolling someone is going against the forum sentiment and potentially the rules far more than me being a SNES fanboy and calling out a troll after they've trolled, which is maybe where whatever frustration should be focused on directed at. Because, without the trolling, I'd just be some SNES fan happily celebrating the system, as I should absolutely be allowed to do in the SNES-centric section of the forum. And I shouldn't have to put up with or have to just ignore people trolling me for that, while they happily come in here and not even subtly troll both me and the system the sub-thread is dedicated to. Just saying.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Haha 1

Anyway...

I was gonna say I agree the SNES needs more homebrews.   I'm hoping there's more in the future and more dev tools appear etc.   And I don't Expect them to be on par with the old releases;  They don't have to have the same level of polish, or music or hell even graphics...I just hope for something.

(HMMmmm   Feels anticlimactic...Maybe I should fanboy out for some system or another...I don't want my posts to be too boring ;)

• Thanks 1

"Now I admit I like tweaking Nintendo fanboys.  It is just something I enjoy.  Is it mature? No, definitely not, but I still find it fun.  And in 1,000 more posts if your start a thread celebrating hitting 3,000 posts, then I will probably do the same thing."

Now I can't even celebrate the SNES seeing more discussion without being attacked.

Exactly when did the troll get to decide what threads are and are not worthy (and get praised for it no less), or anyone else for that matter.

Unless I'm breaking some forum rules, which I certainly don't think I am--trolling actually is though, as far as I'm aware--back the hell off and let me enjoy my threads. And maybe go actually make your own if you don't like them, and contribute something of whatever worth you deem fit yourself. Christ, wouldn't that be a revelation.

But, from what you're saying, maybe go do it in the sub-thread(s) for the system(s) you actually do love. :)

PS. You think I'm now gonna wait until 3000 posts before highlighting it again. . . .

PPS. Hey, go figure, I also love the Genesis and PC Engine too, just not a much as the SNES.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Anyway...

I was gonna say I agree the SNES needs more homebrews.   I'm hoping there's more in the future and more dev tools appear etc.   And I don't Expect them to be on par with the old releases;  They don't have to have the same level of polish, or music or hell even graphics...I just hope for something.

(HMMmmm   Feels anticlimactic...Maybe I should fanboy out for some system or another...I don't want my posts to be too boring ;)

Totally agree.

And it's okay. Don't feel ashamed for contributing something actually relevant to the SNES and indeed supportive of the SNES. Lol

But, yeah, Genesis is the bestest of the best, haha, SNES fanboys suck!

Now I'm off to the Genesis sub-thread to tell them how the SNES is the bestest of the best, because that's apparently all good. And I'm sure no one in there will say a single word to me about it or call me out for coming in and trolling either someone posting about the system or directly the system they love in their dedicated sub-forum, just like no one said a single word to the troll in here. . . .

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

"Now I admit I like tweaking Nintendo fanboys.  It is just something I enjoy.  Is it mature? No, definitely not, but I still find it fun.  And in 1,000 more posts if your start a thread celebrating hitting 3,000 posts, then I will probably do the same thing."

Now I can't even celebrate the SNES seeing more discussion without it being attacked. Exactly when did the troll get to decide what threads are and are not worthy (and get praised for it no less), or anyone else for that matter.

Unless I'm breaking some forum rules, which I certainly don't think I am--trolling actually is though, as far as I'm aware--back the hell off an let me enjoy my threads. And maybe go actually make your own if you don't like them, and contribute something of whatever worth you deem fit yourself. Christ, wouldn't that be a revelation.

OK,  So I'm just throwing this out there...First,  Start whatever thread for whatever milestone you want.   But if he responds,  Don't take the bait or maybe just agree with him, (with a smile, see?).  Now,  and this is important...I'm all too familiar with taking myself too seriously,  especially in the past.  Grab a beer,  crack it open,  enjoy a bit,  loosen up and Don't take yourself too seriously.  Now,  beer in hand,  think comedy,  think tongue in cheek.  Just go back and read what he wrote.  Ya might just laugh.  At very least you could see how sometimes it is funny to get a rise out of someone,  and how someone else might laugh at it.   (Also he wasn't throwing personal attacks your way,  he was just getting ya going).  Even my response was too serious...

(Also FWIW,  I fully remember a few times way in the past, talking "pre-internet" here, when someone would try to get me going and I would always fall for it...Failing to see the humor,  but usually my friends found it quite hilarious)

5 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

OK,  So I'm just throwing this out there...First,  Start whatever thread for whatever milestone you want.   But if he responds,  Don't take the bait or maybe just agree with him, (with a smile, see?).  Now,  and this is important...I'm all too familiar with taking myself too seriously,  especially in the past.  Grab a beer,  crack it open,  enjoy a bit,  loosen up and Don't take yourself too seriously.  Now,  beer in hand,  think comedy,  think tongue in cheek.  Just go back and read what he wrote.  Ya might just laugh.  At very least you could see how sometimes it is funny to get a rise out of someone,  and how someone else might laugh at it.   (Also he wasn't throwing personal attacks your way,  he was just getting ya going).  Even my response was too serious...

(Also FWIW,  I fully remember a few times way in the past, talking "pre-internet" here, when someone would try to get me going and I would always fall for it...Failing to see the humor,  but usually my friends found it quite hilarious)

The personal attacks part wasn't in relation to this particular situation but one that came up the other day in here, but it's still related to the whole trolling thing I was on about.

So, yeah, Genesis and PC Engine have the best games!

You're right, I chuckled. :D

Now, I'm off to the Genesis and PC Engine forums to tell them the SNES has the best games and watch them all have a nice chuckle with me. . . .

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

The personal attacks part wasn't in relation to this particular situation but one that came up the other day in here, but it's still related to the whole trolling thing I was on about.

So, yeah, Genesis and PC Engine have the best games!

You're right, I chuckled.

Now, I'm off to the Genesis and PC Engine forums to tell them the SNES has the best games and watch them all have a nice chuckle with me. . . .

And if ya do it right,  they just might!

Nawwww,  it's not your style,  and that's fine.  Not really my style either,  though I've been known to throw something ridiculous into a (seemingly) dead serious forum.  Usually I'm after a laugh or just breaking up the tension. 

TBH the fact that there is no Tone button on the internet,  means things can be taken multiple ways.  I mainly mentioned personal attacks in reference to what might be against the rules...The mods,  I assume, respond when things get out of control or personal...Not when someone's having a little fun or stating an opinion (contrarian or not).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

And if ya do it right,  they just might!

Nawwww,  it's not your style,  and that's fine.  Not really my style either,  though I've been known to throw something ridiculous into a (seemingly) dead serious forum.  Usually I'm after a laugh or just breaking up the tension. 

TBH the fact that there is no Tone button on the internet,  means things can be taken multiple ways.  I mainly mentioned personal attacks in reference to what might be against the rules...The mods,  I assume, respond when things get out of control or personal...Not when someone's having a little fun or stating an opinion (contrarian or not).

Interesting, because I don't recall the mods doing anything when Mittens made a personal attack regarding my various SNES mock-ups and demos the other day, devaluing my contributions with some "air quotes" as if to say they're not real SNES work at all or indeed worth anything, basically just because they're not coded by my own hand to run directly on the console (even though some of them do actually run on the console, just programmed by someone else). I guess they didn't pick up on that, or they don't think of that as a personal attack, where you pretty much tell someone their work is worthless in front of a group of other people in an open forum. Maybe he was just too subtle for the mods. And that's surprising given teh Internet 2023 and how we feel everyone has to be protected from even the slightest tension and disagreements and the like. Yet, I've been modded for simply hotely debating stuff like what console is the best and why and then posting various facts and figures to support my assertions, because the mods decided that wasn't nice or whatever. Strange how that kind of stuff plays out.

Now, throw something in here to break up the tension--quick man! 😛

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

I don't have any "That's what she said" or "Yer Mom" jokes ready...The mods don't have time to read everything or babysit...They often only know what gets Reported.  If something bothers you enough,  you can always hit the "Report" button.   (Strangely in all my time here at AtariAge,  I don't think I've ever hit it...Though I've been in spots where someone hit it...I've had posts removed)...

Ummmm

What do you get when you mix birth control and LSD? A trip without kids.   (Uhhh)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I don't have any "That's what she said" or "Yer Mom" jokes ready...The mods don't have time to read everything or babysit...They often only know what gets Reported.  If something bothers you enough,  you can always hit the "Report" button.   (Strangely in all my time here at AtariAge,  I don't think I've ever hit it...Though I've been in spots where someone hit it...I've had posts removed)...

Ummmm

What do you get when you mix birth control and LSD? A trip without kids.   (Uhhh)

See, that's the thing, it almost never actually bothers me in that way. And I almost never hit that button either, unless I'm kinda just trying to make a point, like I did when I reported what's their face after admitting to trolling a moment ago. Like I actually give a crap about someone trolling on a personal level. I just respond to it as I like--well, actually a lot more tame than I'd like to, because teh Internet 2023. And I'd be happy if that's how it went. But then lots of other people in the thread usually get all upset at me for doing what I do--although, almost never at the other person doing what they do--and that's when it always goes actual downhill. if no one else got so upset at me arguing with the trolls, there would be no issue at all as far as I'm concerned. I can and will happy go toe to toe with trolls all day, but that's just me. It seems other people can't just ignore that and do their own thing though. It apparently upsets them too much or whatever, like they are only comfortable with eternal sunshine and rainbows or something, and they really have to shut anything contrary to that down. Trolling me is apparently fine, but me giving as good as I get and just a little bit more is obviously bad and too much to take. Hence my point about teh Internet 2023. Good times.

Anyway, I'd best not post on the subject anymore, or else I know what's coming.

giphy.gif

Terrible joke from you. Lol

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Haha 1

I had all 3 in their prime, Genesis, SNES, TG16, didn't hate either one, and each had things I liked. For me, it was what each had, that the other didn't. I liked more Sega franchises, than Nintendo ones. In truth, only the original Mario Bros (not super), was the only N property I loved. Most of what I did like on SNES, was done better on GBA later. That was mainly the RPG's, and GBA brings both N's and S's series to the table. All those things are subjective and different per person. I actually preferred the slightly more cartoonish graphics of the Sega, and many of it's games were ones I played in arcades.

The real comparison of the 2 or 3, is when same game appears on both. In most those cases, SNES blows Sega away. It looked better, sounded better, and often controlled better. Super Smash TV and Robotron (Williams Arcade Hits) are excellent on SNES, but a chore on Sega. Total Carnage would have been same, had it seen a Sega port. Doom and Wolfenstein would have been trainwrecks on Genesis, not counting the late 32x add-on junk. The later Mortal Kombat games were also much closer to the arcade, than Sega's ports, MKII and later. However, what SNES was best at, wasn't what I wanted to play for the most part.

I know all about fanboy cultism, and see it daily in my lil' 5200 subforum, lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Interesting, because I don't recall the mods doing anything when Mittens made a personal attack regarding my various SNES mock-ups and demos the other day, devaluing my contributions with some "air quotes" as if to say they're not real SNES work at all or indeed worth anything, basically just because they're not coded by my own hand to run directly on the console (even though some of them do actually run on the console, just programmed by someone else). I guess they didn't pick up on that, or they don't think of that as a personal attack, where you pretty much tell someone their work is worthless in front of a group of other people in an open forum. Maybe he was just too subtle for the mods.

I don't really know how to respond? If it doesn't run on a SNES, calling it a SNES demo is inaccurate. In the cases where you asked someone to port your demos to the SNES, that would be a SNES demo. But calling SOTN art ripped from Spriters Resource moving in a GameMaker project you put together in a couple of hours a "SNES demo" is ridiculous. I could render a spinning cube in Blender at 320x240, could I call that an N64 demo?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mittens0407 said:

I don't really know how to respond? If it doesn't run on a SNES, calling it a SNES demo is inaccurate. In the cases where you asked someone to port your demos to the SNES, that would be a SNES demo. But calling SOTN art ripped from Spriters Resource moving in a GameMaker project you put together in a couple of hours a "SNES demo" is ridiculous. I could render a spinning cube in Blender at 320x240, could I call that an N64 demo?

Well, you show me where I claimed it was running directly on SNES, or where I tried to pass it off as actual SNES code, or even tried to imply or fool anyone into thinking it was....

And, point being, it's still a proper test of some SNES-ready background and sprite assets 100% accurate to the SNES graphical capabilities and technical limitations, irrespective of what people like you try to claim is the only "legit" way to do something.

It was simply a demonstration of potential and possibility and nothing more.

Also, where's all your work on SNES, or anywhere for that matter, and then we can compare relative contributions to the SNES forum, SNES development, gaming in general, anything at all....

And, just think, I'm not allowed to even say what I really think at all. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

44 minutes ago, zylon said:

I had all 3 in their prime, Genesis, SNES, TG16, didn't hate either one, and each had things I liked. For me, it was what each had, that the other didn't. I liked more Sega franchises, than Nintendo ones. In truth, only the original Mario Bros (not super), was the only N property I loved. Most of what I did like on SNES, was done better on GBA later. That was mainly the RPG's, and GBA brings both N's and S's series to the table. All those things are subjective and different per person. I actually preferred the slightly more cartoonish graphics of the Sega, and many of it's games were ones I played in arcades.

The real comparison of the 2 or 3, is when same game appears on both. In most those cases, SNES blows Sega away. It looked better, sounded better, and often controlled better. Super Smash TV and Robotron (Williams Arcade Hits) are excellent on SNES, but a chore on Sega. Total Carnage would have been same, had it seen a Sega port. Doom and Wolfenstein would have been trainwrecks on Genesis, not counting the late 32x add-on junk. The later Mortal Kombat games were also much closer to the arcade, than Sega's ports, MKII and later. However, what SNES was best at, wasn't what I wanted to play for the most part.

I know all about fanboy cultism, and see it daily in my lil' 5200 subforum, lol

And that's fair enough.

And, when people are being fair, so can I. I'll even say here that I think in some of those cases the Genesis could/can actually do a better job than you might think too.

:)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

And that's fair enough.

And, when people are being fair, so can I. I'll even say here that I think in some of those cases the Genesis could/can actually do a better job than you might think too.

:)

That brings up another oft overlooked part of such comparisons, the effort/budget of the team doing the port. A great example of this, is the numerous attempts at redoing 2600 Pacman, using only the memory allowed at the time.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Well, you show me where I claimed it was running directly on SNES, or where I tried to pass it off as actual SNES code, or even tried to imply or fool anyone into thinking it was....

And, point being, it's still a proper test of some SNES-ready background and sprite assets 100% accurate to the SNES graphical capabilities and technical limitations, irrespective of what people like you try to claim is the only "legit" way to do something.

It was simply a demonstration of potential and possibility and nothing more.

Also, where's all your work on SNES, or anywhere for that matter, and then we can compare relative contributions to the SNES forum, SNES development, gaming in general, anything at all....

And, just think, I'm not allowed to even say what I really think at all. :)

nintendo75.gif.f0f8627fee4155028b6a5c561ea36304.gif

Anyways, here's my N64 demo I've been working on. 100% accurate to real hardware, and the assets I've made are N64 ready! All I have to do is find some programmery-man to work out the details. Marvel at the contribution I've made to the N64 dev community!

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I guess we see it differently. I immediately think of sayings such as "any publicity is good publicity" and "it is always preferable to have attention focused on a name than to be unnoticed", but that's just me.

3 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I can and will happy go toe to toe with trolls all day, but that's just me.

If you constantly find yourself in a situation where your behaviour and response to something comes down to "it's just me", could you pause and try to reflect a little? Maybe change it to a question: is it just me? It's great to have differing opinions on subjects for sure because that creates conversation. But it's not great to be in a camp of your own when it's an issue of how information and conversation is being delivered. That is how you alienate people. And more and more, I find your contributions to conversations being a zero-sum situation.

And before long, you will be doing this all on your own:

4 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

back the hell off and let me enjoy my threads

Edited by Wayler
  • Like 2