IGNORED

2K and climbing

20 minutes ago, Wayler said:

If you constantly find yourself in a situation where your behaviour and response to something comes down to "it's just me", could you pause and try to reflect a little? Maybe change it to a question: is it just me? It's great to have differing opinions on subjects for sure because that creates conversation. But it's not great to be in a camp of your own when it's an issue of how information and conversation is being delivered. That is how you alienate people. And more and more, I find your contributions to conversations being a zero-sum situation.

And before long, you will be doing this all on your own:

Or, people can lay off on all the trolling and preaching, and I can continue to post about SNES, which is what I came in here for. And others can freely join in those conversations about SNES or not depending on their preference. :)

But, yeah, I can also reflect a little too. :)

Maybe we could all reflect a little.... :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

On 2/20/2023 at 10:51 PM, CapitanClassic said:

Genesis had different better games than SNES’s different better games.

Streets of Rage 2, still considered by many to be one of the best 2-player beat’um ups. Final Fight is likely considered the top beat’um up on SNES, but it was only 1-player.

Final Fantasy III (6 really) is considered by many to be one of the best JRPGs. Genesis had Phantasy Star II (I hear some say PS IV is the best in the series, but haven’t played it so I don’t really know)

As far as turned based strategy RPGs, SNES didn’t have much in the USA. Front Mission, Fire Emblem, and Langrisser didn’t get translations. Genesis got Langrisser/Warsong (GEN) and had the wonderful Shining Force I/II. For more western strategy games, there was Civilization (SNES), Sim City (SNES), and Super Conflict (SNES), while Genesis got Dune (GEN), Star Control (GEN), and Star Flight (GEN), Pirates Gold (GEN).

What genre is SNES lacking in that could use a demake/port from another system’s library?

By the way, just a random thing I noticed: I would say Turtles in Time is probably widely regarded as the best beat 'em up on SNES (I personally put it and SoR2 as the top 2 beat 'em ups of that console era), or possibly something like King of the Dragons or Knights of the Round, and I'm sure most people would place either of the two Final Fight sequels above the original on SNES too.

Note: All those beat 'em ups have two-player too.

And, yeah, Final Fantasy III/VI is definitely up there on SNES, although I would personally put Chrono Trigger higher and indeed at the pinnacle of the 16-bit generation. There's a whole bunch of other world-class RPGs on the system too. The Phantasy Star series is also very good on Genesis, but I think SNES easily takes this category overall--and I mean easily.

But, yeah, there's various games on both systems in different genres that I'm sure people will place wherever in the echelons personally. Genesis has lots of great sports games for example. And some people think Genesis has the best shmups too (not me).

It's not that I think SNES is lacking in some genre (though sports would be one that could be said wasn't a strong point mind you); it's simply that I want to see more brand new games for it. And absolutley anything that might ultimately encourage and lead to that, be it ports, demos, more discussion, whatever, is something I want to encourage and indeed push for.

But that's presumably very clear at this point.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

1 hour ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

It's not that I think SNES is lacking in some genre (though sports would be one that could be said wasn't a strong point mind you); it's simply that I want to see more brand new games for it. And absolutley anything that might ultimately encourage and lead to that, be it ports, demos, more discussion, whatever, is something I want to encourage and indeed push for.

That’s a bit of the problem though. If SNES isn’t missing/lacking any any genre, than there isn’t a reason to make a game for that particular system.

For any new demo, port, or game people will choose the path of least resistance and make a game for a system with the easiest to use SDK, or the largest/most engaged community. SNES doesn’t have any of that.

Also, people compare the quality of homebrew releases to the most popular official releases on the system. For the SNES, you would be competing against the Big-N, who had their own internal tools and intimate knowledge of the hardware. I am surprised that there is any homebrew community for the Genesis / SNES / PC-engine / Neo-Geo. The jump in quality of graphics/sound from the 8-but generation to the 16-but generation is considerable (I doubt we will see a significant PSX/Saturn/3DO homebrew scene ever. 32-bit homebrew for game consoles is likely DOA). The amount of time and effort needed to make a game look good enough to pass as an official release bitd is beyond most individuals or small teams. Most people who want to make their own game don’t understand how difficult it is, and only seeing the graphics, think something like the VCS/2600 would be a good system to make a game for, not realizing that the 2600 is one of the most difficult game consoles to develop for (things like bBasic make it easier, but it would be much easier developing for the NES/Colecovision/Pico-8).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

That’s a bit of the problem though. If SNES isn’t missing/lacking any any genre, than there isn’t a reason to make a game for that particular system.

For any new demo, port, or game people will choose the path of least resistance and make a game for a system with the easiest to use SDK, or the largest/most engaged community. SNES doesn’t have any of that.

Also, people compare the quality of homebrew releases to the most popular official releases on the system. For the SNES, you would be competing against the Big-N, who had their own internal tools and intimate knowledge of the hardware. I am surprised that there is any homebrew community for the Genesis / SNES / PC-engine / Neo-Geo. The jump in quality of graphics/sound from the 8-but generation to the 16-but generation is considerable (I doubt we will see a significant PSX/Saturn/3DO homebrew scene ever. 32-bit homebrew for game consoles is likely DOA). The amount of time and effort needed to make a game look good enough to pass as an official release bitd is beyond most individuals or small teams. Most people who want to make their own game don’t understand how difficult it is, and only seeing the graphics, think something like the VCS/2600 would be a good system to make a game for, not realizing that the 2600 is one of the most difficult game consoles to develop for (things like bBasic make it easier, but it would be much easier developing for the NES/Colecovision/Pico-8).

Yeah, there's a lot of truth in that. But, what the recent influx of some rather stunning new Genesis indie/homebrew games has done is show that there's still some scope for surprising, exciting and even stunning people with modern titles for these old 16-bit consoles. And I simply want to see some more brand new games at that level on SNES too, so I'm doing my little part to try and encourage and push for that, even if it's just raising awareness of and/or conversation around the SNES as also an option for developing these new indie/homebrew games on. Personally, I think the SNES deserves that at the very least.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

"or the largest/most engaged community"

I forget to say that, clearly, irrespective of some tiny niche audience in the indie/homebrew space who are currently posting about Genesis more purely because it's getting all the new games, the SNES community is patently larger overall and indeed more engaged too, if you look just a little bit beyond the tiny indie/homebrew scene. Simple logic should dictate that all it would take for far more of them to also give a bigger crap about the SNES indie/homebrew scene is more brand new indie/homebrew titles for SNES, surely.

It's a chicken/egg scenario though: Genesis doesn't have a larger indie/homebrew audience because it's a more popular console (that has matter-of-fact statistically never been true); it has a larger indie/homebrew audience because news games are popping up regularly to keep those people engaged, which in turn garners more attention, which in turns encourages more people to make new games for it, etc. So, until the same thing starts happening on SNES, the solution isn't to do literally nothing and then just spread false correlations, but to actually increase the discussion around SNES and build up some excitement around making new indie/homebrew games for SNES too.

There absolutely is a huge audience of SNES fans out there waiting for that (I'm one of them, so I know that to be a fact. And I don't need to be challenged on some pretend reality that I live in a vaccum or something), and I say more than Genesis [to the tune of millions] based on any actual figures of those who owned/own each console (including the Mini systems sales, modern mainstream Internet coverage and interest outside of the tiny indie/homebrew scene, relative sales of each system's games on modern digital stores, etc). So, to ignore the SNES when thinking about where to put some new indie/homebrew game(s) under some false premise is a misguided mistake as far as I'm concerned, as it is to basically dismiss it in discussion around such things.

Why don't we, as the supposed SNES fans--if that's what we truly are, actually genuinely and enthusiastically support and encourage more brand new and exciting development on SNES (which includes any discussion around it), rather than find backwards ways to dismiss it as an option (something that makes me question certain people's honest intentions in here), and then we can see just how relatively popular a system it is in modern times and how big and hungry the SNES community at large is for such things. . . .

Or, is there some kind of bizarro fear of this actually happening on SNES, like the very idea of it is a threat to some other console(s) or something, which certainly shouldn't be the feeling or sentiment coming from genuine SNES fans in a SNES-centric sub-thread as far as I'm concerned?

Unless, of course, you're perfectly happy with things exactly as they are, in which case you can just ignore my threads and enjoy the current SNES [or Genesis and PC Engine, etc] games library exactly as is (growing nicely in Genesis' case). If that's the case, you should be happy as Larry with the current situation just as is, irrespective of anything I have to say or post in here. And you don't need to waste energy debating with me on it if that's the case. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

3 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

There absolutely is a huge audience of SNES fans out there waiting for that (I'm one of them, so I know that to be a fact. And I don't need to be challenged on some pretend reality that I live in a vaccum or something), and I say more than Genesis [to the tune of millions] based on any actual figures

Is there though, and don't you need to?

Black Jewel (4 to 1 Genesis:SNES rom), Unholy Night (failed funding goals, 374 backers) , I'm sure there is more, but it starts getting into the sub-100 backers.

You want to know how to end up with a small fortune? Create your own video game or boardgame and start with a large fortune. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

Is there though, and don't you need to?

Black Jewel (4 to 1 Genesis:SNES rom), Unholy Night (failed funding goals, 374 backers) , I'm sure there is more, but it starts getting into the sub-100 backers.

You want to know how to end up with a small fortune? Create your own video game or boardgame and start with a large fortune. 

More than enough. And, no. But, hey, if that's what gets you off. . . .

Black Jewel: I'm not sure what the "4 to 1 Genesis:SNES rom" is specifically referencing? But it's a port of a Genesis game that came out later on SNES and didn't do much to actually take full advantage of the console's capabilities. It doesn't even go above the Genesis colour palette for the most part, never mind adding an extra background layer here and there, or using some lovely transparency effects, or throwing in a wee bit of Mode 7 and the like, or whatever. So, what do SNES owners get: The same game with a smaller view, which they have to wait longer for. Wow--I'm shocked they aren't all rushing out in greater numbers than the Genesis audience to immediately buy it. But, hey, it's still a welcome addition to the SNES library as a new indie/homebrew game regardless. Hopefully future games will actually put a bit more effort into making the SNES' versions their own thing though. And maybe that will be reflected in the sales numbers eventually too. Also, is it even released for SNES yet? I wasn't aware that it was, if it is, which shows you there's a huge lack of news and exposure of these new SNES game out there. I mean, if even I don't know the specific details--I actually thought it was still "coming soon"--it doesn't say much for the marketing or media coverage of the game thus far.

Unholy Night: "It has been a great month for us as we started off strong, and we actually know what we should and could have done to make this fund all the way to the end and beyond." - the developer. Like you know the reasons why it didn't get funded. But, of course you're happy to paint a false picture that it's obviously because there's not enough people interested in new SNES games out there, or whatever you're doing. Maybe it just didn't get enough exposure, or it wasn't at a state that people felt comfortable funding, or some other reason we're not aware of that has nothing to do with how many SNES fans there are out there who'd be interested in some great new SNES games. Also, unless I'm recalling incorrectly, it didn't get stellar reviews, so you can't blame people for waiting for the actual AAA titles rather than just shelling out for any and every new indie/homebrew game that's gets announced. That's just how business and consumers work. I mean, I clearly want new SNES games, and I'm happy to see as much support as possible for anyone working on them, but I'm only gonna buy the ones I truly think are worth my money and time--and I'm a total SNES fanboy, right.

Using those two examples to try and honestly, what, convince, who, me, everyone else, that the SNES isn't popular enough for new indie/homebrew games--are you entirely sure you're in the right forum?

The SNES Classic Mini sold 5.28 million units to passionate SNES fans. The original Genesis Mini managed around 300,000, and the Genesis Mini 2 around 30,000 to all the dedicated Genesis fans out there. Now, I'm not gonna try and pretend I know any better than you all the business/market/marketing reasons behind that, but, that's an eager end-user audience of SNES fans of a ratio of 17.6 to 1 over similar Genesis fans who went out and bought one of those Mini consoles. And, isn't is strange that rather producing more Genesis Mini 2 systems, given the apparently greater number of Genesis fans waiting for new Genesis stuff out there according to you, Sega went the other way and reduced the production run to 1/10th of the original. Weird. . . .

So, yeah, that 4 to 1 number in relation to Black Jewel Reborn just tells me a whole lot of those people who are interested in something/anything new in relation to the SNES likely didn't even know about the game, or maybe even considered is a second-hand port and possibly weren't quite as excited and eager for it as they might have been otherwise. Maybe if more SNES indie/homebrew games were coming out and getting regular media coverage, and they were legit taking proper advantage of the console's features rather than limiting themselves to the Genesis capabilities, they would have been there on day one. Neither you nor I know the exact details.

All I know is there's a big enough niche market out there to keep these new Genesis titles coming (of old Genesis gamers and old but working Genesis consoles). And there's statistically a much larger number of people who owned and loved an original SNES still out there (around 15 million more based on the original sales of each console), with the sales of the SNES Classic Mini showing that there's a whole lot of them that are indeed still alive and floating around and willing to spend their money on something related to the SNES, potential buyers of exciting new SNES indie/homebrew titles in the waiting. I can't say how many of them still have original working SNES consoles mind you, but, if it's about the systems still being functional, well, Nintendo is kinda infamous for the build quality of their consoles, so I expect a whole lot of those original SNES consoles are also ready and waiting for some new games to be inserted into them. Also, there's no reason at all any new SNES games can't additionally be released as digital ROMs so we can all play them via the likes of [hacked] 3DS, SNES Classic Mini, Switch, and any modern clone systems or emulators too.

But, hey, you believe whatever you believe, and I'll believe whatever I believe. And I'll keep on pushing for more brand new indie/homebrew SNES games. Because, I have no idea what you want, but that's absolutely what I want. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

7 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

4 to 1 Genesis:SNES rom" is specifically referencing?

Backers of the Black Jewel Genesis:SNES rom. There are 4 times as many Genesis backers.

The thing is, there are 7 other games on Kickstarter for Genesis with 2000-1000 backers before even the top SNES games (as ranked by backers). There just isn’t an SNES homebrew market to speak of.

21 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

Backers of the Black Jewel Genesis:SNES rom. There are 4 times as many Genesis backers.

The thing is, there are 7 other games on Kickstarter for Genesis with 2000-1000 backers before even the top SNES games (as ranked by backers). There just isn’t an SNES homebrew market to speak of.

Backers only . . . of a game announced for Genesis first and foremost (it's very clearly the primary platform*), with SNES as literally a stretch goal (if I recall correctly).

That's what you're trying to, what, sway me with?

Where's the SNES version to even convince everyone how great that is and that they should be jumping on it? I've seen one YouTube video from quite some time ago, and that's it. Is there even a playable SNES demo yet? There was/is for Genesis out the gate, day one of the Kickstarter.

*I mean:

"The MD/Genesis version is currently 80% complete. We did all the music, graphics and the engine. Only 3 levels left to finish. This version of the game will be ready before the others.

The graphics for NES and GameBoy versions are 20% complete and the engines and music are fully written.

The SNES version will use the graphic resources of the MD version, we will also add new effects, and write covers of existing tunes"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evildragon/black-jewel-reborn?ref=discovery_category_most_backed&term=nes

How skewed do the circumstances have to be for you to not feel uncomfortable throwing around figures to try and convince everyone that one console is more popular than the other here and proclaim why it's got higher interest right now?

Look, despite what you think you know, no offense, but it's all coming out your ***.

Let's all look back on this in a few years time---under the condition that the SNES actually finally gets some decent development tools and the like, and where hopefully we see a bunch of new indie/homebrew games for it that actually do some cool stuff on it, so as to even have any relatively fair and equal comparison--and then we can see how things truly stack up. . . .

PS. I don't know anything about your other claims around Kickstarter projects and so on, but, if they're as solid as your other example, I'll not waste my time checking them out to maybe see where the real truth lies here. Hope you're okay with that. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

@Kirk_Johnston whenever you post I see this comic in my head.

stemwomen.jpg

Personally, I find your posts more amusingly wrong than any game you would be likely to create for the SNES , so I hope you never change, but….

As one of the treads in the Programming sections demonstrates, no one cares more about your game (issue) than you. If you want some awesome homebrew games for the SNES, the people who care the most are going to have to be the ones to do it (unless your goal is just discussions about why people aren’t making SNES games rather than people actually making them. If that’s your goal, you’re doing fine, and I look forward to your contributions in the future). 

Edited by CapitanClassic

13 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

@Kirk_Johnston whenever you post I see this comic in my head.

stemwomen.jpg

Personally, I find your posts more amusing wrong than any game you would be likely to create for the SNES , so I hope you never change, but….

As one of the treads in the Programming sections demonstrates, no one cares more about your game (issue) than you. If you want some awesome homebrew games for the SNES, the people who care the most are going to have to be the ones to do it (unless your goal is just discussions about why people aren’t making SNES games rather than people actually making them. If that’s your goal, you’re doing fine, and I look forward to your contributions in the future). 

Thank you, kind sir. :D

48 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

the SNES isn't popular enough for new indie/homebrew games--are you entirely sure you're in the right forum?

The SNES Classic Mini sold 5.28 million units to passionate SNES fans. The original Genesis Mini managed around 300,000, and the Genesis Mini 2 around 30,000 to all the dedicated Genesis fans out there.

How many indie/homebrew games were on the SNES Classic Mini versus the Genesis Mini?

My mathematics is failing me…as a ratio, when you divide by zero what do you get…

34 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

@Kirk_Johnston

You seriously need to chill out with this agenda of yours. Its getting tiring and no one here is drinking your koolaid. I don't want this forum to turn into a toxic place like its been going lately.

See, the guy who comes in and ruins it. 

Can't you see that it's people like you who take it too seriously.

The other guy and me were just having a laugh, but now you've come in and made it like it's some kind of abuse that must be stamped out. What, the tamest of back and forths about how popular we think the SNES relatively is--that's got you looking up the rules and seeing if I'm somehow a terrible and dangerous menace to the Atari Age society.

I absolutely hate modern mods. 

What the hell should it matter if I keep posting stuff along the lines of getting new SNES indie/homebrew titles? I'm in a SNES-centric sub-forum. What are you even moderating here--me debating the merits of why it would be cool to see more of that stuff and posting threads and comments in relation to it, or debating console popularity with someone. That's what you're upset about? Who is this actually harming, and what exactly is the harm I'm apparently doing?

Other than some people trolling me and a few others moaning at me for arguing with the trolls, absolutely nothing has happened of any real note whatsoever. It's like kindergarten level stuff, and, honestly, even without any swearing or anything. There's barely even a harsh word been said in the totally of it all. Yet, today's mods instantly panic as the sight of it. It's just completely distorted over-protective bonkersness.

No fun whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm outta this particular thread for a while. So, rest easy. Peace. Let's all take a chill pill.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

How many indie/homebrew games were on the SNES Classic Mini versus the Genesis Mini?

My mathematics is failing me…as a ratio, when you divide by zero what do you get…

Zip.

But, they both run on emulators and can both be hacked to add as many as you like.

I've even tried a few indie/homebrew games on my hacked SNES Classic Mini, including some Genesis ones (shock).

:)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

41 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

See, the guy who comes in and ruins it. 

Can't you see that it's people like you who take it too seriously.

The other guy and me were just having a laugh, but now you've come in and made it like it's some kind of abuse that must be stamped out. What, the tamest of back and forths about how popular we think the SNES relatively is--that's got you looking up the rules and seeing if I'm somehow a terrible and dangerous menace to the Atari Age society.

I absolutely hate modern mods. 

What the hell should it matter if I keep posting stuff along the lines of getting new SNES indie/homebrew titles? I'm in a SNES-centric sub-forum. What are you even moderating here--me debating the merits of why it would be cool to see more of that stuff and posting threads and comments in relation to it, or debating console popularity with someone. That's what you're upset about? Who is this actually harming, and what exactly is the harm I'm apparently doing?

Other than some people trolling me and a few others moaning at me for arguing with the trolls, absolutely nothing has happened of any real note whatsoever. It's like kindergarten level stuff, and, honestly, even without any swearing or anything. There's barely even a harsh word been said in the totally of it all. Yet, today's mods instantly panic as the sight of it. It's just completely distorted over-protective bonkersness.

No fun whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm outta this particular thread for a while. So, rest easy. Peace. Let's all take a chill pill.

Uhh no. You are the one taking it way too seriously. Im just trying to prevent you from getting kicked out of yet another place.

• Like 1

@Kirk_Johnston my point was that (your arguments are weak) comparing the Mini console sales between SNES and Genesis doesn’t make any sense if you are looking at the market for new homebrew games (since those systems didn’t have any). It would make sense to look at sales numbers (maybe from Limited Run games, or similar publishers) or one of the largest (of not the largest) websites for homebrew video games, Kickstarter.

And according to kickstarter, the Genesis’s largest number of kickstarters projects have between 2000-1000 backers and raised between $130,000 for the highest backed game to $55,000 for the 7th most popular. The top SNES kickstarter game can barely can get 400 backers and $40,000 (Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death).

The problem with the SNES homebrew market is all about the numbers. A single software engineer with no experience out of college, is going to be paid a minimum of $25/hour. After you subtract out manufacturing costs, a developer might be making $1-$5 per game. When you are selling less than a thousand copies, then you have to be spending less than 200 hours to make a game to make it worth your time. If you scour the AtariAge website, you can an idea of how much some of the devs for the Atari 2600 games are making, and it is a pittance. They are donating their time to bring these games to the community.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

It would make sense to look at ... one of the largest (of not the largest) websites for homebrew video games, Kickstarter.

And according to kickstarter, the Genesis’s largest number of kickstarters projects have between 2000-1000 backers and raised between $130,000 for the highest backed game to $55,000 for the 7th most popular. The top SNES kickstarter game can barely can get 400 backers and $40,000 (Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death).

OK, let’s look at the Genesis games on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573261866/paprium-the-16-bit-beat-them-all-coming-to-the-next-gen?ref=discovery_category_most_funded&term=SEga%20Genesis

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brokestudio/the-cursed-knight?ref=discovery_category_most_funded&term=SEga%20Genesis

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neofid-studios/astebros?ref=discovery_category_most_funded&term=SEga%20Genesis

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1676714319/xeno-crisis-a-new-game-for-the-sega-genesis-mega-d?ref=discovery_category_most_funded&term=SEga%20Genesis

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seconddimension/affinity-sorrow-a-true-16-bit-turn-based-rpg-adventure?ref=discovery_category_most_funded&term=SEga%20Genesis

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/whiteninjastudio/irena-genesis-metal-fury?ref=discovery_category_most_funded&term=SEga%20Genesis

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigevilcorporation/tanglewood-an-original-game-for-the-sega-genesis-m?ref=discovery_category_most_funded&term=SEga%20Genesis

That's just the top seven (there's quite a few more), and they generally look pretty dang stunning. Most of those titles I’d actually want to buy myself.

Now, let’s look at the SNES games on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/439982171/new-snes-game-sydney-hunter-and-the-caverns-of-dea?ref=discovery_category_most_funded&term=Super%20Nintendo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socksthecat/socks-the-cat-the-video-game-based-on-the-clintons?ref=discovery_category_most_funded&term=Super%20Nintendo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1251527936/unholy-night-snes-fighting-game-console-cartridge?ref=discovery_category_most_funded&term=Super%20Nintendo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/748545416/blow-em-out-new-snes-game-and-new-snes-cartridges?ref=discovery_category_most_funded&term=Super%20Nintendo

I couldn’t really find any more for SNES after a few pages, and couldn’t be bothered scrolling for however many pages to maybe find one or two more if they exist. They're decent enough, but not what I would call mind-boggling SNES titles there. The fighter looked okay aesthetically, but honestly nothing I’d want to buy myself based on what was being shown.

Now, I don’t know about anyone else, but I can immediately see something that's not quite on par there in these two indie/homebrew development scenes on Kickstarter, which I think might just be having an effect on how people are responding to them.

And I’m pretty confident I know what would happen if both the relative quality and the number of brand new Kickstarter game projects was basically the same on both systems.

Hopefully that’s what we see start to happen more in the near future, because that’s only going to be great for the SNES imo.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1

The fighter also was made by industry people with the tools and know how, specifically if I remember right ex-SNK employees who worked on MVS fighters who did that Unholy Night game.  It has been for sale CIB or alone for some years now.

Socks the Cat was a retail release found way later by those who hunt so it was just unpublished, not a legit project to add to a new list.  You can easily get the ROM out there for it before it went on that.

Blow em out was a very weak project, the payment into it shows as much.  It was like a basic NES style homebrew just with some SNES basic aesthetics to it.

And that leaves ONE just one legit title, Sydney Hunter and it does feel more like a mid-tier SNES game of the time so at least that's something.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

The fighter also was made by industry people with the tools and know how, specifically if I remember right ex-SNK employees who worked on MVS fighters who did that Unholy Night game.  It has been for sale CIB or alone for some years now.

Socks the Cat was a retail release found way later by those who hunt so it was just unpublished, not a legit project to add to a new list.  You can easily get the ROM out there for it before it went on that.

Blow em out was a very weak project, the payment into it shows as much.  It was like a basic NES style homebrew just with some SNES basic aesthetics to it.

And that leaves ONE just one legit title, Sydney Hunter and it does feel more like a mid-tier SNES game of the time so at least that's something.

Yeah, and given the apparent pedigree, it's kinda disappointing how very average that fighter apparently is. My guess is both their vision and scope was actually a bit too small, plus they just didn't have programmers who could match up to what developers already achieved in the '90s on the system. Maybe they made the game in some C development tool or something and just didn't take full advantage of everything it had to offer. I dunno. But it's a shame, because, if this team was even on par with some of the better SNES developers of the '90s, when combined with everything we've learned since then too, I think they could have created something to genuinely stand alongside the likes of Street Fighter II/Turbo, Killer Instinct and Gundam Wing: Endless Duel on SNES. And I'm pretty sure a fighting game on that level would have easily gotten funded on Kickstarter.

Now, I'm happy to see any and all development for SNES, and I welcome and encourage it all, because it's that or nothing right now, but I'm still waiting for the day when new SNES development raises the bar to stand alongside the kind of stuff we're seeing come the Genesis right now (some of it is genuinely stunning relative to that system). That's the quality I'm looking for personally before I truly get excited about where SNES indie/homebrew is at.

I'm still optimistic it's gonna eventually happen though. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

Strictly in the for what it's worth category,

(Not counting the Sydney Hunter game,  which I own),  Here's the last one I backed (Gamester81 from here is involved*).  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/justice-beaver-new-super-nintendo-game#/

I paid in 2014,...It was delayed until 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, ...and now it's 2023...

While I do wish they'd update more often,  I just think when it gets done,  it gets done (I hope).  According to past updates,  they are really making more of a game out of it including more levels, updated graphics, music etc...As long as the game is good;  it'll be a nice surprise to get it someday in the future. 

It appears to be pretty difficult to make a high quality game on SNES...Hopefully it gets easier as time goes on and more dev tools appear to help crack the code,  etc.

*Although he hasn't posted on AtariAge since 2017

• Like 1