IGNORED

STNICCC2000 port for Lynx

42bs

32 minutes ago, 42bs said:

Understand, but I like nice shifts (8, 16) to avoid the costly 6502 shifts.

Perhaps the best thing is then to define the unit vector as $0100. $0100 * $0100 = $010000, so you can just throw away the last byte.

Besides... At the time Wing Commander was a game that used bitmaps instead of rendered 3D surfaces. That technique would also work very well on the Lynx. You just need scale and skew for an object. And perhaps a side view, front view and back view.

On 3/19/2023 at 9:51 AM, 42bs said:

It runs in nearly 20FPS despite the mass of polygons that are drawn and overdrawn. But optimizing the scene data is no option in the sense of a "contest" 🙂

@Heaven/TQA actually allowed the modification of the binary file (see https://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=11559&page=2#c549103), but of course you can have your own fun by following the rules you want :).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ggn said:

@Heaven/TQA actually allowed the modification of the binary file (see https://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=11559&page=2#c549103), but of course you can have your own fun by following the rules you want :).

In a sense I alter it. The ST palette is made Lynx like and the coordinates are scaled down.

But removing or modifying the polygons to avoid multiple drawn areas does not seem correct.

Actually, it would not be much fun to me to find out how. But hell, yeah I would love to get it to >20FPS on the Lynx.

But do the math: The Jaguar runs at 26MHz and thus 6.5 times quicker than Mikey. But the Lynx needs only 52ms per frame compared to 14ms the Jaguar. So the Jaguar is slooooow ;-)

3 hours ago, LordKraken said:

I'm surprised nobody ever explored doing a "fake" 3d games using this technique. Sure the camera would be fixed, but the overall impression would still be great.

There is a good example on gameboy color with a toy story racing game I believe.

But with very limited playability I fear. 

2 hours ago, 42bs said:

In a sense I alter it. The ST palette is made Lynx like and the coordinates are scaled down.

But removing or modifying the polygons to avoid multiple drawn areas does not seem correct.

Actually, it would not be much fun to me to find out how. But hell, yeah I would love to get it to >20FPS on the Lynx.

But do the math: The Jaguar runs at 26MHz and thus 6.5 times quicker than Mikey. But the Lynx needs only 52ms per frame compared to 14ms the Jaguar. So the Jaguar is slooooow ;-)

Bastian is right... Axis @ me allowed altering the data in terms of downscaling or modify for display sizes/color palettes (see the GB version or my SNES version) but we should all use the 640kb raw data Leonard and guys from Oxygene used :D if you are interested I can provide the "V1" file of the prior demo, too?

On 3/19/2023 at 8:51 AM, 42bs said:

2nd one. This one is complete on a 512KB card including all original data (only rez reduced for the Lynx)

It runs in nearly 20FPS despite the mass of polygons that are drawn and overdrawn. But optimizing the scene data is no option in the sense of a "contest" 🙂

Source as usual:

https://github.com/42Bastian/lynx_hacking/tree/master/lniccc2000

lniccc2000.lnx 512.06 kB · 13 downloads

I thought of the 512kb card but did you pack it? as the original data file if I am not wrong was larger?

1 minute ago, Heaven/TQA said:

I thought of the 512kb card but did you pack it? as the original data file if I am not wrong was larger?

Yes, lz4 for speed reason exomixer packs better but is to slow unpacking. Down to 500k.

1 hour ago, 42bs said:

Ah, cool. Yes pleaaaaaaase.

here is the file. that does not have "indexed" frames and the end frame byte and end of file byte are different to V2. just 1 palette for all. so no palette information inside the data. it is straight forward when you already got a "v2" parser. you can look at "displayFrame" label in the source code and "nPolyDraw". and you need the ST palette setup converted to Lynx but that is easy.

SCENE_v1.zip SCENE_v1.s

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Thanks 1