IGNORED

Stephen Carden has passed away

Stephen

Sorry if it has been posted - I did a forum search and did not see this yet.  Was just made aware of Stephen's passing - https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/theaugustapress/name/stephen-carden-obituary?id=51558893 and wanted to share as I know he's been mentioned in several recent posts.

• Sad 16

Bummer - he was a very nice and helpful guy.  He'd talk your ear off, but no problems with that.  He sent me one of his extra adapters if I recall a while back.  I was under the impression he's had health problems for a while, but I think he was only in his 50s.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear. Stephen was only 60 years old. I know he spoke of various health problems; and his wife's fairly-recent death. Condolences to his family/children.

A pretty big Atari enthusiast, and quite into hardware/drives for the machine -- which is related to his RealDOS software.

His website is still active: ILS (Integrated Logic Systems)

Here's the Antic Podcast he was featured on: ANTIC Interview 42 - Steve Carden, RealDOS

This page on his website has a couple more pictures of him: ILS - About

He has a couple of accounts here on AtariAge: @Stephen J. Carden & @Stephen J Carden

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When I first got back into the Atari 8-bit scene in 2015, he made a trade of a U1MB, Side II cart, Stereo Board, and a couple of U-Switch boards for only a couple of Transkey boards I had been working on at the time. I felt kinda bad, since what he gave me was much more valuable than what he got in return. But he said no problem, and that he really wanted to help me make better products by providing me with all the latest greatest Atari hardware that he could. And he turned out to be right, with me creating the 1088 series systems soon after, which had a U1MB at the heart and incorporated both Stereo and U-Switch like aspects (as well as a built-in SIDE II feature).

I know in our talks he had confided in me about all of his medical issues that had ultimately caused him to stop working, but he was still very energetic with his Atari projects in spite of it. Sorry to hear that it finally caught up with him. Hopefully his website will remain online as a testament to what he was really passionate about.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, mytek said:

When I first got back into the Atari 8-bit scene in 2015, he made a trade of a U1MB, Side II cart, Stereo Board, and a couple of U-Switch boards for only a couple of Transkey boards I had been working on at the time. I felt kinda bad, since what he gave me was much more valuable than what he got in return. But he said no problem, and that he really wanted to help me make better products by providing me with all the latest greatest Atari hardware that he could. And he turned out to be right, with me creating the 1088 series systems soon after, which had a U1MB at the heart and incorporated both Stereo and U-Switch like aspects (as well as a built-in SIDE II feature).

I know in our talks he had confided in me about all of his medical issues that had ultimately caused him to stop working, but he was still very energetic with his Atari projects in spite of it. Sorry to hear that it finally caught up with him. Hopefully his website will remain online as a testament to what he was really passionate about.

His server and two other machines contain almost all of his work and tools. There was another machine that had failed years ago that would need work to recover anything else. He was still working on some things best he could. 60 is far too young.

• Like 1