IGNORED

Analog Controls for Classic Games

Hello people of atariage,

I've had an idea for adding analog controls to classic games that weren't originally designed for them. I would like to explain my idea and ask you if there are ways to make it happen or if it could be theoretically done and work well.

So when a game is designed with a D-pad in mind, than its either 100% left or right. If you map an analog stick to the D-pad controls, as soon as you move the stick outside the deadzone you can 100% movement.

What I propose is a function that makes the analog stick trigger a rapid fire mode instead of going for a full D-pad press. The more you move the stick away from the deadzone you increase the auto fire rate, with a button press when the stick is moved to the edge.

Now is there a way to make this happen, or could this be realised in someway by  soft- or hardware? Could this idea work decendly in practice?

Thank you for your attention.

13 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

Hello people of atariage,

I've had an idea for adding analog controls to classic games that weren't originally designed for them. I would like to explain my idea and ask you if there are ways to make it happen or if it could be theoretically done and work well.

So when a game is designed with a D-pad in mind, than its either 100% left or right. If you map an analog stick to the D-pad controls, as soon as you move the stick outside the deadzone you can 100% movement.

What I propose is a function that makes the analog stick trigger a rapid fire mode instead of going for a full D-pad press. The more you move the stick away from the deadzone you increase the auto fire rate, with a button press when the stick is moved to the edge.

Now is there a way to make this happen, or could this be realised in someway by  soft- or hardware? Could this idea work decendly in practice?

Thank you for your attention.

People have done what you're describing with paddle/spinner controllers.  Something similar could be done with an analog stick.  It works to some extent.  The great thing about analog paddle controllers is that you can move your player as fast as you can move the paddle.  With the varying pulsing you can't move any faster than how it was originally programmed, you can move slower.  It's similar to some trackballs that emulated digital joysticks.  Didn't quite work as well as a game programmed specifically for a trackball.

Edited by mr_me

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

People have done what you're describing with paddle/spinner controllers.  Something similar could be done with an analog stick.  It works to some extent.  The great thing about analog paddle controllers is that you can move your player as fast as you can move the paddle.  With the varying pulsing you can't move any faster than how it was originally programmed, you can move slower.  It's similar to some trackballs that emulated digital joysticks.  Didn't quite work as well as a game programmed specifically for a trackball.

Thank you for your response. That is a nice controller.

For example when you are playing rad racer it could be nice to have the analog trigger from a modern gamepad to adjust the speed by this adjustable autofire mechanism, same goes for left and right movement. In F-Zero I use a button mashing technique in the corners, while I dont believe this would work well with such a control scheme on this game I think it might be great with games like rad racer.

Some games I play I would be more invested in if the controls were more flexible.

It would need to be adjustable to take into account how high the frequency can be for the game to recognize them as individual button presses and also the minimum speed as well as the acceleration curve.

With software solutions it is easy to add turbo buttons with adjustable frequency. To test this the freqadjust needs to be mapped to the joystick, this way it could be tested if the idea is sound.

7 hours ago, Wayler said:

Glitch3.gif

Hulk-Hogan-Angry.jpg

Listen up brother! I won't be bothered by any Vulcan! My iranian friend told me he has many new friends and with new friends any adversary shrinks. There is no help for you, you are done cause Hulk Hogan is coming for you!

HH brother!

Edited by Creamhoven

3 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

Hulk-Hogan-Angry.jpg

Listen up brother! I won't be bothered by any Vulcan! My iranian friend told me he has many new friends and with new friends any adversary shrinks. There is no help for you, you are done cause Hulk Hogan is coming for you!

HH brother!

You are truly one of the biggest doofuses that I have seen post on this forum since I created my account.

You have the limitation mr_me mentioned about how fast an object can move. The game would need to be modified for this to be completely effective. The game would need to have code understanding position.

I've experimented around with this in mame in the past. And I always liked the game as it was originally. The way I learned to play it. Arcade games usually came with controls that best suited their gameplay anyways. And 2600 gave us and developers a variety of controllers to pick from too.

So I'm not sure what would come of all this effort put into changing up control schemes. Maybe some games could get some kind of enhanced play with new controller configs, but my guess is it'd be few and far between.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keatah said:

You have the limitation mr_me mentioned about how fast an object can move. The game would need to be modified for this to be completely effective. The game would need to have code understanding position.

I see. A software soltuions enabling this kind of adjustable autofire function alone is not enough. There would ideally be a need for a rom hack.

I've experimented around with this in mame in the past. And I always liked the game as it was originally.

That is interesting. It might not be to my liking as well, since I have never tested it. May I ask, what has motivated you to give it a shot?

The way I learned to play it. Arcade games usually came with controls that best suited their gameplay anyways. And 2600 gave us and developers a variety of controllers to pick from too.

Yes, I believe most games are best the way they are. In the case of rad racer, it is a difficult game to me, I feel like if I could control it more subtly I might have a better chance. It might very well turn out to be worse.

So I'm not sure what would come of all this effort put into changing up control schemes. Maybe some games could get some kind of enhanced play with new controller configs, but my guess is it'd be few and far between.

I agree. I was just wondering if I might be able to beat rad racer if there were analog controls. The analog trigger to adjust the speed and the analog steering. Might be not as benefitial as I imagine it to be.