IGNORED

DIY: Jaguar Rotary controller kit

Machine

21 minutes ago, neo_rg said:

This looks like a top quality mod kit. If I had the funds right now I'd snap your arm off. If you're going to PRGE I could get one from you there.. 

Thank you!

The new d-pad mount is amazing. It drops right in and holders the encoder perfectly.

I always hated cutting, drilling and epoxying. It was the hardest part. Now it takes a few minutes.

I have no idea about PRGE. Hoping to go, but not sure. Probably know at beginning of August.

Dude I would love if you made a wireless adapter for the Jag, with the ability to put the battery inside the unit and ditch the cord. But man this is awesome, I hwve the rotary box you sold and this knob looks sweet! I need to learn how to solder for this!

On 4/20/2023 at 8:20 AM, UHATEIT said:

Dude I would love if you made a wireless adapter for the Jag, with the ability to put the battery inside the unit and ditch the cord. But man this is awesome, I hwve the rotary box you sold and this knob looks sweet! I need to learn how to solder for this!

^This is above my pay grade, sorry.

As far as soldering, just watch a few videos, get a good iron, and practice on a broken board. One rainy day and you are off and running. You can solder with a cheap iron, but it is not fun(at least for me).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

Doesn't have to be an $800 Metcal either though. An entry-level $100 Weller or Hakko should be just fine for hobby work. Just avoid the $20 Amazon kits.

I meant by cheap = a $10 iron.  I used one for years because I rarely did a lot of soldering.

I think my current iron was $75. Not the most expensive, but sure is better than the old $10 radio shack iron.  :)

I got a buddy who uses a propane iron(well under $100 too). He does a lot of on-site work. He has years of practice and it shows.

Gotta say, I've been playing some Tempest 2000 with one of these (Pre-built, I got the last of the last round. Otherwise the kit would be sitting in my closet for a year or so waiting for a non-lazy evening), and the rotary precision is just perfect. You can whip around the web for sure, but with just a few minute's practice, you can also place the claw anywhere you want anytime. Not sure if it's the rotary, or that I've been playing a lot of Tempest 3000 on Nuon lately, but I bumped my key level up 6 places tonight (to a paltry 35 I believe). I think it's the rotary personally 😁 T3K has a pretty different feel/strategy set. T2K is F1, T3K is... NASCAR... no, wait, not even that. Something more like this.

I still need to try it out on Rebooteroids too. Got a Skunk more or less perma-mounted in one Jaguar in here, and the Gamedrive perma-mounted in the other, so I've been too lazy to go dig the cartridge out of the closet thus far.

I will be putting together one small run of complete boxed rotary controllers. I will be using these kits for them. I am doing 6 completed ones. Look for a post soon or drop me a PM.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:42 PM, 42bs said:

What is the weight w/o the box? Sending in a blister envelope? I see international package start at 16USD. Reducing to the minimum would help. No box, no wrist band, no photo (could be emailed).

So you just want an encoder, wires and knob?

Edited by Machine

2 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

I used to use a 36ppr encoder. How many is this one?

I use a 24. I did a ton of research and ordered a bunch of encoders. Finally settled on 24. Seems to be the best option for all the games that can play them.

• Thanks 1