IGNORED

DIY: Jaguar Rotary controller kit

Machine

1 hour ago, UHATEIT said:

Saturn and Machine have the best Jag collections in existence. Awesome!

I'm sure he has me beat but I have a few items no one else has. I am sure Saturn has a few dozen items I don't have. I am still looking for that RAD Jaguar jean-jacket and I would love to own a kiosk and play some 2-player Battle Rebooteroids!

Here is the pride of my Jaguar collection:

Spoiler

JagHolyGrail.thumb.jpg.1c0f8a3b2808cd7e75d1fc19ce5a96a2.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Machine said:

I'm sure he has me beat but I have a few items no one else has. I am sure Saturn has a few dozen items I don't have. I am still looking for that RAD Jaguar jean-jacket and I would love to own a kiosk and play some 2-player Battle Rebooteroids!

Hide contents

Wow😳

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Machine said:

Reveal hidden contents

I have something just like that that arrived with my Amiga CD32. Makes it look killer on my LCD TV. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Machine said:

The way you said "Wow", I can tell you are jealous. You should see how well that baby displays a picture on a new TV. Way better than HDMI or upscaler.  🙃

I am jelly! Would love to track down one of those. 😍

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2023 at 12:04 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

SUCCESS! The Jaguar Rotary Controller kit does work ......

- James

So I watched James' last show "Jaguar Rotary Controller Special" and realize people may benefit from a few pictures on how I put the controller back together.

Note I used heat tube on the center post. I have switched to using just electrical tape because it is more flexible.

I also cover the old D-pad contacts with electrical tape. In the last two pictures, I use tape again just to hold the wires into place as I put the controller's back cover on.

As I firmly hold the back cover in place, I make sure all the buttons in the front have not moved. Push on them and make sure they all feel normal.

Make sure the back cover and front cover go together right and the seams are correct.

Put the top two screws(slightly shorter screws) on first, and then do the bottom two screws(longer screws).

STEP by STEP:

part1.thumb.jpg.08e5c43f7f3dfeda98a54babdc28e496.jpg

part2a.thumb.jpg.dd48df9b8339fb4d7f36afd636c5fcff.jpg

part2b.thumb.jpg.967c742a25782b83eee37ff65dfe78a6.jpg

part3.thumb.jpg.8e315f1e350db2244606a9e82b96a47b.jpg

part4a.thumb.jpg.0cc7b7bf2a7556ad4d2b085eafe22609.jpg

part4b.thumb.jpg.0f46833f0aa177a60eba4ccdb695ca4b.jpg

part5a.thumb.jpg.dd0b636c7c14dc5ab0692ccf432f5155.jpg

part5b.thumb.jpg.f1774f07df26afd8a5ffdf646483a4ad.jpg

Make sure all the buttons are still in place and put back cover on.

While holding back cover firmly in place, push all the buttons and make sure they correct.

Put top screws in, then bottom. Install knob and test controller.

Edited by Machine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Machine said:

Hide contents

Heh. I came across a Jag automatic switchbox at A&A Vintage Games recently and dropped 4 bucks on it so I could put it in drawer. I have no use for it, but I didn’t think I had one, making it with the risk of owning two. 

• Like 1

My kit arrived this week, I also happen to own one of the Opal rotary controllers for comparison. First off, the Opal isn't a thing anymore so you can't buy that. I do prefer the larger knob of this kit, though I suppose that can be down to personal preference. The 3d printed piece that allows the encoder to be easily mounted where the stock d-pad is is a huge plus for me as the other designs for rotary controllers where the knob is mounted on the back or to the left of the keypad is not appealing. At the end of the day it's up to you, this kit doesn't preclude anyone from a DIY job. What it does provide is a simple way to mod a Jag controller into something that looks like an OEM release. Actually probably better than OEM as Atari would've sourced the cheapest possible knob back in the 90's. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Are these kits still being sold?   

I am in the process of making more. I may include NOS controllers and a Rotary Controller Box.

I have been working on getting the box printed a little brighter. I also reduced the size slightly(1/4" on all 3 sides).

I may build some fully assembled rotary controllers, but not many.

I should have the new box here in a few weeks.

I'll post here once I have it all put together. (2-3 weeks hopefully).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...