IGNORED

DIY: Jaguar Rotary controller kit

Machine

After getting this mod I realized that I don't have any 'B' series controllers but I do have FOUR 'G' series and two aftermarket six button Pro Controllers. 😕

Rather than buying another 'B' series controller does anyone know if there are equivalent pins that I can solder this kit to on the 'G' series?

I have found this tutorial on converting a Jag Controller to rotary input but the instructions don't state whether they used a B or G serial numbered controller. If you click on the picture and look at the board layout it does look quite different than the one in the instructions @Machine has for this mod. I suspect it's a G board and I can follow the instructions they give but I don't want to mess things up if it's not a G board.

Does anybody have detailed photos of both G and B boards that they can post?

- James

• Like 1

I've opened up my 'G' serial number Jag controller to check out what it looks like. There is a ribbon connector but there's also plenty of space on the pins on the other side of the board to solder the wire leads of the kit to.

I took a bunch of pictures of the board below. If anyone is able to identify (or circle) which pins I need to solder the White, Red and Blue wires of @Machine's kit to I think I'm in business! 🙂

Thank you so much!

- James

PS: I also found EXCELLENT photos of the 'B' serial number board for reference on this site.

PXL_20230518_001607608.thumb.jpg.2c06401a958cc226d93943911d68bad2.jpg

PXL_20230518_001615200.thumb.jpg.edfa7ce0bada937622946db7682635b3.jpg

PXL_20230518_001644028.thumb.jpg.8d4630f6524f49aa9a82579649ae5dd9.jpg

PXL_20230518_001657446.thumb.jpg.6276ea55b04a2666db1d9690475dd825.jpg

PXL_20230518_001707992.thumb.jpg.ec36976a01a90804d3bbfe767116c98d.jpg

PXL_20230518_001721762.thumb.jpg.4de384691a83fecd863b806a511424be.jpg

Okay, I think the wiring for a 'G' Jag controller is exactly the same as the wiring for the 'B' controller if I have everything correct.

I've traced the wiring on the 'B' controller and the following wires are hooked up to:

• Red - Left Direction Button
  • Blue - Right Direction Button
  • White - Ground? (Common to all directions)

Check out the comparison of the wiring photo that @Machine provided with the kit and a photo of the full board of a 'B' controller (click photo to embiggen):

1434356356_JagBControllerWiring.thumb.jpg.dbf87a9b30686f7c8af549d000b38fe4.jpg

Now tracing the same wires on a photo of my 'G' controller board the pins go to the exact same places. I added in virtual wires to help show where they will go:

1811236666_JagGControllerWiring.thumb.jpg.12eb680e6af8e95f5eaf0fc9abe91f2a.jpg

I'm going to go solder it on right now as it really seems very straight forward. I'll report back with my results!

- James

SUCCESS!

The Jaguar Rotary Controller kit does work with a 'G' serial number controller!! I just tested it on both Tempest 2000 and Kobayashi Maru and they both work flawlessly, looking forward to Friday's stream where I play a bunch of rotary controller Jag games!

BUT.....

You will have to do the following modifications to the kit and your 'G' controller:

1) Sand down the edges of the internal plastic piece included with the kit into an octagonal shape to fit into the octagonal area it needs to fit into

2) Sand down the circular ring and the ridge next to it on the back part of the controller case to fit with the new mods so you can close the case EDIT: After putting the bolt and washer in the correct spot and everything fitting together much better this may not be as necessary, your mileage may vary.

Also, you will have to keep in mind that the option and pause buttons will be slightly recessed from what they are originally. I'll be looking further at this to see if I can make this better but it appears the back of the PCB board is right up against the rotary module causing a slight gap.  EDIT: Also no longer an issue since putting the bolt and washer in the correct spot.

If you don't want to do a destructive but still (probably) reversible mod I highly suggest using a 'B' serial number controller. The only reason I did this is I already had four 'G' controllers and really didn't want to buy another controller when I already have so many. Hopefully this information will help others that find themselves in a similar situation.

- James

• Like 3

So I have put together a few kits that do not come with the box and will save you a bunch on shipping.

These are designed for "B" series controllers. Just 3 wires. No cutting, no drilling.

Takes less than an hour. You just need a Phillips screwdriver and soldering iron.

Everything you need minus the controller to make a rotary.

-Rotary Knob with Jaguar logo

-Rotary Encoder

-3 wires cut to length

-Encoder mount that replaces d-pad

-picture of solder points ("B" series controller)

-Jaguar Wristband

-Jaguar rotary kit bag

Cost is $43 plus $6.50 shipping(USA)

~Please send me a PM to order~

RotKit.thumb.jpg.839aaabea20a18a0eae04af9a3ec72f2.jpg

rotkit02.jpg.feb141900f978b91698685e8b0a1f8c4.jpg

rotkit03.jpg.678fe746004636e215df77b59ae5520f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 10:43 PM, Machine said:

Everything you need minus the controller to make a rotary.

-Jaguar Wristband

-Jaguar rotary kit bag

I love the thoroughness of the kit, but "wants" is likely a better descriptor for these two items!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Editorb said:

I love the thoroughness of the kit, but "wants" is likely a better descriptor for these two items!

You could say the same about the rotary knob and it's logo. I never said everything is the kit is 100% necessary.

Just trying to put together a nice package that has everything you need to make a rotary and present it in an appealing way.

That the oddest compliant I have seen in a while. 

The kit does contain everything you need to make a rotary. It also has a few bonus items.

Edited by Machine

To be honest, I am out. 43USD for this kit? Only things really needed is the knob, the encoder plus wires and the mounts. Encoder plus wires is about 4USD, the knob another 1USD. Makes 38USD for a 3D printed part plus the Jaguar logo for the knob.

Why would one need/want a wrist band (ok, maybe the teens here), or this bag.

Edited by 42bs

7 hours ago, 42bs said:

To be honest, I am out. 43USD for this kit? Only things really needed is the knob, the encoder plus wires and the mounts. Encoder plus wires is about 4USD, the knob another 1USD. Makes 38USD for a 3D printed part plus the Jaguar logo for the knob.

Why would one need/want a wrist band (ok, maybe the teens here), or this bag.

The knob was far from $1.....that is crazy. It is a large/heavy knob, they are not cheap. Please don't talk about the cost of prices on the items, you clearly have no idea what I paid up front to put this together. I have made a ton of stuff for Jag/Lynx/VCS and always try keep price low. Goal isn't to make money, my goal is add a little fun to community. Your post makes me second guess that.

Price for the kit comes to around $30 for all the parts. The wrist was is just a fun little extra, nothing was added to the price. The bag added $4-5. What do you suggest is a fair market up to put all this together? $10-12 seemed cheap considering the time everything took and the up front costs.

I have 6 kits ready to go. I will knock $10 off each.   ;)

$33 plus shipping!

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Machine said:

The knob was far from $1.....that is crazy. It is a large/heavy knob, they are not cheap. Please don't talk about the cost of prices on the items, you clearly have no idea what I paid up front to put this together

Just checked different shops and even large knobs are below 2USD.

Your offer with all the gimmicks around (but for example no isolation tube for the soldering to the rotary) gives a bad taste to me.

Anyway, you call the price, and if people have no problem to pay what you want, fine for you. It is just my opinion.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, 42bs said:

Just checked different shops and even large knobs are below 2USD.

Your offer with all the gimmicks around (but for example no isolation tube for the soldering to the rotary) gives a bad taste to me.

Anyway, you call the price, and if people have no problem to pay what you want, fine for you. It is just my opinion.

You clearly are not looking at the same knob.  The knob with decal is slightly over $10. The mounting kit is $10. I had the mount designed and pay the person fairly for his time. That is $20 just there.

The wire was $2(spread out), Encoder $4. $26 right there. All that stuff has to be shipped to me, not free.

Add in all the plastic bags, shipping bags, etc., we are at $30. I am ordering in small amounts, so that all get spread out to each kit. 

So basically you want me to sell at my cost or below? I have done that in the past and have offered plenty of free items for members(contests, plus stuff I have donated that never has been mentioned nor will it)

As far as your bad breath, not my problem.

Please refrained from posting in my thread. You are spreading information that is dishonest.

****Using a tube can/has caused the encode tabs to snap off when you mount/bend it. I suggest wrapping the center tab with electrical tape so it is flexible.

Edited by Machine

I happened upon my box a few minutes ago in the grass outside my property. Dumbass mail person tossed it in the weeds.. apparently, days ago and it's been raining. Unbelievable.

I took pics then opened it. Thanks to the bubble wrap completely surrounding the box-along with the filler material the actual rotary controller box appears to be fine.

Thank you for THAT, Machine!!

I'll test this baby out and upload some shots.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Saturn said:

I happened upon my box a few minutes ago in the grass outside my property. Dumbass mail person tossed it in the weeds.. apparently, days ago and it's been raining. Unbelievable.

I took pics then opened it. Thanks to the bubble wrap completely surrounding the box-along with the filler material the actual rotary controller box appears to be fine.

Thank you for THAT, Machine!!

I'll test this baby out and upload some shots.

Thanks Saturn. If anything is damaged let me know and I will send you replacements.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Machine said:

You clearly are not looking at the same knob.  The knob with decal is slightly over $10. The mounting kit is $10. I had the mount designed and pay the person fairly for his time. That is $20 just there.

The wire was $2(spread out), Encoder $4. $26 right there. All that stuff has to be shipped to me, not free.

Add in all the plastic bags, shipping bags, etc., we are at $30. I am ordering in small amounts, so that all get spread out to each kit. 

So basically you want me to sell at my cost or below?

Of course not. Just want to understand where the price comes from. The 3D part was the big ? in the sum.

13 minutes ago, Machine said:

Please refrained from posting in my thread.

_Your_ thread. Well then.

Just now, 42bs said:

Of course not. Just want to understand where the price comes from. The 3D part was the big ? in the sum.

_Your_ thread. Well then.

If you wanted to know, send me a PM before you start throwing out incorrect information. It makes everyone think I am price gouging. Your insults are not needed. Again, just ask nicely via PM or even in thread.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Machine said:

You could say the same about the rotary knob and it's logo. I never said everything is the kit is 100% necessary.

Just trying to put together a nice package that has everything you need to make a rotary and present it in an appealing way.

That the oddest compliant I have seen in a while. 

The kit does contain everything you need to make a rotary. It also has a few bonus items.

I was not trying to complain, rather to note the kit includes super cool swag just for fun, and imagined myself thinking, "According to the instructions, I need to wear Jag wristband on soldering wrist, and hang kit bag above the work area for inspiration."

So, yeah, just another case of me attempting to say something kicks buttocks in slightly amusing fashion only to have it boomerang. This is eerily similar to conversations with Old Lady Editorb. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Editorb said:

I was not trying to complain, rather to note the kit includes super cool swag just for fun, and imagined myself thinking, "According to the instructions, I need to wear Jag wristband on soldering wrist, and hang kit bag above the work area for inspiration."

So, yeah, just another case of me attempting to say something kicks buttocks in slightly amusing fashion only to have it boomerang. This is eerily similar to conversations with Old Lady Editorb. :P

It's no big deal. I try to add something to the Jag community and since I can't program, I figured this stuff might add a little enjoyment.

No harm, no foul.  All good.

BTW-That wristband will help with "flappy wrist syndrome". Not sure if you need help in that area or not.  😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Machine said:

It's no big deal. I try to add something to the Jag community and since I can't program, I figured this stuff might add a little enjoyment.

No harm, no foul.  All good.

BTW-That wristband will help with "flappy wrist syndrome". Not sure if you need help in that area or not.  😃

I'd really like that wristband to have a tether that attaches to the Jaguar controller like a Wii controller has. That way I can be safely attached to what the critics all call, "the worst controller ever" when I get really crazy while playing one of the, "Top 10 worst consoles of all time"! I might just get angry and throw my controller but this tether will act as an anger management tool.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, alucardX said:

I'd really like that wristband to have a tether that attaches to the Jaguar controller like a Wii controller has. That way I can be safely attached to what the critics all call, "the worst controller ever" when I get really crazy while playing one of the, "Top 10 worst consoles of all time"! I might just get angry and throw my controller but this tether will act as an anger management tool.

Holy smokes, new product idea! Send me a PM with your address so I know where to send the residual payments.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Machine said:

Holy smokes, new product idea! Send me a PM with your address so I know where to send the residual payments.

I think you also need to replace the knob and the encoder with old iPod click wheels. I'll keep the ideas coming!

Edited by alucardX
spelling typo
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Machine said:

Thanks Saturn. If anything is damaged let me know and I will send you replacements.

The controller works GREAT. No damage to the product At all but thank you for the offer. No ins claim needed w the post office thankfully.

I'm playing t2k, CJ's "infinite superzappers" version. This controller is smooth and the knob w the Atari logo is gorgeous. Loving the extras too.

Are you making any more full controllers? Would grab another for my custom "Tempest Duel" kiosk.

If not, A-ok. Just happy to have this baby.

Great work, as always and much appreciated :)

20230523_000633.thumb.jpg.e1785afeb6f69b0f57a0478d098b1211.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Saturn said:

The controller works GREAT. No damage to the product At all but thank you for the offer. No ins claim needed w the post office thankfully.

I'm playing t2k, CJ's "infinite superzappers" version. This controller is smooth and the knob w the Atari logo is gorgeous. Loving the extras too.

Are you making any more full controllers? Would grab another for my custom "Tempest Duel" kiosk.

If not, A-ok. Just happy to have this baby.

Great work, as always and much appreciated :)

20230523_000633.thumb.jpg.e1785afeb6f69b0f57a0478d098b1211.jpg

Yes, I have 6 "Boxed Jaguar Rotary Controllers" in the the works. I will send you a PM.

I don't think I have seen pictures of your kiosk?

Thanks again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machine said:

Yes, I have 6 "Boxed Jaguar Rotary Controllers" in the the works. I will send you a PM.

I don't think I have seen pictures of your kiosk?

Thanks again!

Without derailing the thread, here are some links from a thread almost 20 years ago during the restoration. Man, I need to update with fresh pics!

I took video a few years ago playing Rebooteroids but no idea where that is.

• Like 2