IGNORED

My 15 minutes of Atari fame.

El Destructo

OK if you can have a claim to fame by Knowing people i knew Steve Bak very good Dragon 32 C64 ST and Amiga guy. He worked at the local mine with my dad before he got into programing and help me out in my early days of 6502.

I knew Ivan Macintosh and Ricard Munns too they were very good programmers in the end Black Lamp was first class 8-bit copy.

If you go to JBJ site and look at the screen shot he has of Moon Base i also can tell you this was Andy Mills game being written for Atari UK but he got p***ed of with them and gave them the advance back.

and i did not need to see the Atari Bosses at any computer show i went to the offices in Slough many times hehehehe.

Hm....

Writing public domain software discwise never helped....

Creating a "new" standard of graphics for the A8 never was "accomplished"

Writing games like "Admirandus" never gave a fitting feedback.

Writing the first inter Atari XL-ST networking game never was "well known"

:D ;)

Mindfield... Was AW UK based or US based, he must have known Steve Turner ( i think) programmer of magnetron, ST was i think UK based

955777[/snapback]

Andrew was based in the UK. I think he spent some time in the US with the Rebellion team working with Fox on Alien vs. Predator, but otherwise I think he's pretty much been doing stuff entirely in the UK. Last I heard (which when I was in communications with him) was when he ran his own company, Perceptions, which I think probably disappeared with the Jag.

Sorry, did i mention that i knew (somewhat personally) the programmer behind thunderfox and sidewinder (he used to live down the road from me in Grays inn) Noel Daniels (nice geezer)

955763[/snapback]

I remember that me and my friend meet Oral Cornelius (the guy how wrote the sidewinder music) in an Atari store in London (he worked there there if I remember it correctly).

He gave us a version of the sidewinder game.

Later we called him to tell that we finished the game but maybe we would be the only one who will ever see it because you can't reach the end without cheating.

Unfortunately the game was allready released...

Sorry, did i mention that i knew (somewhat personally) the programmer behind thunderfox and sidewinder (he used to live down the road from me in Grays inn) Noel Daniels (nice geezer)

955763[/snapback]

I remember that me and my friend meet Oral Cornelius (the guy how wrote the sidewinder music) in an Atari store in London (he worked there there if I remember it correctly).

He gave us a version of the sidewinder game.

Later we called him to tell that we finished the game but maybe we would be the only one who will ever see it because you can't reach the end without cheating.

Unfortunately the game was allready released...

956181[/snapback]

I believe Noel knew Oral Personally, Noel used to work for Sillica shop in Tottenham court road and later in Debenhams/Selfridges in Oxford street (where i always went to for all my stuff Atari) never met Oral though (at least i don't think i did) though there was this lanky black bloke there called 'Errol', but he was big into ST things (not A8) and a couple of other blokes who i got on with (one of them was the manager, John i think) and the other one, i can't remember his name but he was def. into A8 (he told me he was into assembler

Edited by carmel_andrews

Haha - I knew Oral very well (he did some music for me - Beast), incredibly taleneted guy, very fast worker, very good work...

I also knew of Noel (he was best chums with a friend of mine, who also worked at Silica Shop - when he developed Thunderfox - I have the first cart copy in the UK of that game, got it from Atari when I visited before it was released) and their mate Martin Bysh (did ports of some Hewson games like Exelon to the ST)...

I remember Erol, but not what he did :-)

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

Haha - I knew Oral very well (he did some music for me - Beast), incredibly taleneted guy, very fast worker, very good work...

I also knew of Noel (he was best chums with a friend of mine, who also worked at Silica Shop - when he developed Thunderfox - I have the first cart copy in the UK of that game, got it from Atari when I visited before it was released) and their mate Martin Bysh (did ports of some Hewson games like Exelon to the ST)...

I remember Erol, but not what he did :-)

sTeVE

957286[/snapback]

Steve/Jet Boot J.... I'm amazed that we didn't meet each other, after all, i was always down Silica shop in TCR (tottenham court road) almost every saturday without fail, at least i could have said i met another legend (you) even though as you said you are doing boring things on a PC

Edited by carmel_andrews

Looking on JBJ's site, the screenshot from "Shadow of the Beast" gives a double 'L'.

http://www.jetbootjack.com/JBJ_beast.html

959999[/snapback]

Wow, I didn't know there was nearly a version of SOTB for the 8bit! Love to see that finished - I played that game to death on my ST and Lynx. :-)

• 9 months later...

Also at the Atari 90's show (i think) I caught a butchers for quite a few minutes of Atari UK's MD (managing Director) Bob Gleadow, he was at the far end of the room/hall as I was coming through the partition double doors

I am presently in communication (by email) with one of the ex directors and founders of ComputerHouse UK (i went down there a few times when i was heavy into my use of things Atari)

Lastly i happened to get on well with the founders of BaPAUG and their 8:16 newsletter, as they always seemed to spot me at the various Atari shows

I've just come across this thread after ages of not being on this forum.

I've got quite a unique link in all of this (and more), when Noel, John Sosta etc were finished with Sidewinder I reviewed it for Atari User (around Sept of 86). I actually went down to meet John and Paul (no George or Ringo) to pick up some info on the editor. Noel I met in Silica and knew him pretty well, real nice guy. The last time I saw him was when he was excited about Thunderfox being published and he introduced me to Orall, always wanted to find out what happened to Noel especially after what happened to Silica.

As mentioned elsewhere Errol worked there and I only met him a few times, seemed full of himself but ok, he wrote or partially wrote Foundations Waste on the ST if memory serves me correctly.

Silica was also a hotbed of things, the Sidcup branch in Hatherly Road was my favourite place, bloody amazing place to be on a Saturday. The energy in the place was amazing (not to mention the odd 'pirate' flogging copies (Reg)) and the staff knew their stuff which was great. its how I got into the Atari to be exact.

Didn't spend to much time in Tott Crt road branch tbh, I seem to remember one of the staff ran a HUGE pirate BBS, an obnoxious pillock named Splat or some such. Last thing I heard re Silica before they folded was that stock could be purchased at the back door at a better price with some staff members :-)

My 15 mins of fame comes more from where I worked, Maplins...After I got into the Atari as tech sales I sort of graduated into many fields. Apart from reviewing for Atari User we had customers like Archer Mclean (sold him his disk drive), Adam Michael Billyard (Chop Suey & Electraglide etc), Paul Daniels......Yes, Paul Daniels, his connection is that he wrote 'A magic adventure' for the Atari. While reviewing I helped get a couple of games published for others via Futureware (Sidewinder peeps), one was Orb of Zarimeer (or something like that) which was written by an M4 traffic cop called Mike King and the more story worth game called Quest for the Maltese Chicken. This was written by a guy called John Kavagnah (and brother Pat iirc), John went on to work for Domark and on to Diakanna (spelling) with John Romero.

Being at Maplin meant I was around hardware and it's development, I built my own 300 baud modem and one of the files I xfered on it was Buck Rogers from a rather well known chap (for the wrong reasons) called RobC. But apart from that I also knew a certain company also named by Carmel, Computer House. Ran from a house in Fulham by a guy named John (sure it was John) and his 'mate' Chris, they got involved in marketing Atari kit, sadly with one person John was better at selling than paying the developer. I introduced two people I'd met via Maplin, an ex manager called Dave who was a hardware mega guru and Mike who apart from being a Doctor was also a great programmer and part time Hacker called The Mole. These guys developed a wonderful OS board called something like The Dumper which extended the Atari vastly with memory dumping, built in OS replacement, custom font loading, machine code monitor etc etc. It really was a great little board yet they never got a penny for it, John who I also knew via a friend called Steve was more keen on the money in his pocket than paying up. I could be mistaken but his partner I believe ended up in prison for assault or some-such...

Other people I met along life's highway were Mike Wilding (was with Atari UK until he went into business in Rayleigh), Mike crossed paths with a guy called Kevin, he had the pleasure of becoming the first person to be done for software piracy in the UK by Atari. Mind you, it's not so clever of him and his mate putting adverts in Exchange & Mart for Atari programs inc Ms Pacman (the one cited in the case). Whats odd about that is that many of the programs were falling out of Atari's back door via the very people attempting to stop piracy I hear ;-)

So, after seing Noel's name mentioned it just showed me what a small small world the Atari scene really was in terms of who knew who, same as in the C64 world really.

Oh, for JBJ...I even have a hand in Menace oddly enough. While reviewing for another mag I was sent Menace on the Amiga to review while it was called 'Draconius', a swift call to the nice lady at Psygnosis informing her there was a C64 title already out with that name meant that the game got renamed to Menace by either DMA or Psygy :-)

Told you, its a small world :-)

Btw, Carmel, if you ever run into Noel again, say hello from Paul ex Atari User...

A few more i can add

Les ellingham and Derek 'microdiscount' fern/firn (various Atari and AMS shows)

Bob Gleadow (crossed paths with him at the atari 90's show)

Richard Gore (sold him a 1050 or was it an 810 whilst helping out on the LACE stand at one of the last AMS shows)

Dean Garrity (DGS) various times and his friend Mark (AKA 'Wrathchild')

I saw some of the harlequin team at the Atari 90's show (can't remember who)

I did get on well with a couple of the guys at BAPAUG (publishers of the 8:16 newsletter, i think they were called Colin and Graham, we kept on bumping into eachother (and saying a polite 'hello there' at the various Atari user and AMS shows i attended

I met and spoke to (face to face and on the phone) Brad Koda, the main main at Best Electronics, he attended the one and only Computer shopper show i attended at the wembley conference centre

And lastly a brief (10 minute) telephone conversation with the legendary 'Bob Puff' of CSS (New York) fame, i was given his details by Brad Koda as I needed simple instructions for the SA2 1050 upgrade

• Like 1

sadly being 25 I missed the opportunity to create new stuff on the 8-bits 'in the day', but I've had a lot of good conversations with folks who were there about what they did and why.

mostly because they're smart and interesting people to talk to, but also to hopefully learn something from them.

got nothing but respect for people who were creating from no prior art or previous experience so had no guidance as to what should or shouldn't be done - they just did it.

But I'm not going to namedrop. People who namedrop only do it because they don't feel they've acheived anything for themself. Jeff Minter told me that ;)

• 2 weeks later...