IGNORED

Bitsofthepast.com status

Dropcheck

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Someone on the forums came up with a 3D-printed shell for these - I don’t recall if they were selling prints or if they released the .STL file. 

Thanks, that would be a great addition, but unfortunately I don't own a 3D printer. Every time I get some cash saved I have another financial disater it seems 

42 minutes ago, mimo said:

Thanks, that would be a great addition, but unfortunately I don't own a 3D printer. Every time I get some cash saved I have another financial disater it seems 

If they released the .stl file you can have them printed by a third party. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mimo said:

Thanks @Dropcheck I have finally been able to have a 1200xl cart extender.
Do you remember if there was any physica support method used to stop it wobbling around when inserting carts?

@COREi64 designed a shell for the @Dropcheck designed 1200XL extender boards, they are available in 2 sizes depending on the length of the PCB.

Edited by BillC

10 hours ago, mimo said:

Thanks, I made the right angled version so no good for me I'm afraid 

You could contact him to see if they would design/sell a shell for right-angle version, he may already be aware since I included his user ID in the previous post

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 1:55 AM, Dropcheck said:

Does anyone know of a source for the XF551 style power switch with the retaining bracket.  I looked in Best Electronics's Big Book and didn't find it listed.  I hate to keep desoldering the one or two I have left just for testing purposes. 

Any luck sourcing these?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Dropcheck,

Just wanted to post a big THANK YOU for designing the Cartridge Breakout PCB (at https://www.bitsofthepast.com/cartridgeboards.html# ).

My boards arrived a day or so ago and I have soldered on the header pins and it looks like "All Systems Go", next step is hooking an MCU/Pico up and hacking around.

Also found another of your boards being used in this Youtube video, which I thought was quite cool: 

IMG_20230809_162416.jpg

IMG_20230809_173822.jpg

IMG_20230809_173929.jpg

• Like 2

FYI:  XF551/SF551/iSF551 status

I should have what I hope are the final versions of these boards in Tuesday from the board manufacture.  I know it's been awhile longer than I thought, but any time you make changes/modernization of parts on a stable design it some times becomes a comedy of errors and missteps and not quite theres.  I discovered after buying a SF314 disk drive from Best Electronics, that there are even more variations of the internal space available for my modified SF551 board.  The drive seemed longer and the control board inside even smaller.  So.... trying to make the redesign as compatible as possible another major revision was needed.  Unfortunately it meant going nearly all SMT.  There are times when I curse Atari and this was one of them.  🤕

While waiting for the redesigned boards to come in I decided to process two more Atari projects for release to PD.  My dalliance with the Supra Microprinter Adapter was turned into an internal pcb that can be installed in a 800XL/130XE.  Not sure what the demand is but it was fun to do.  Also released is the 800XL/130XE Cartridge Guide Extender set.  This was in response to an expressed desire to put the 800XL into a different case and the need to have an external access to the cartridge slot in that case.  I have a version specifically designed for the 1088XLD, but that is currently under contract with The Brewing Academy.  You might be able to get this version to fit, but it will take some definite creativity.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

FYI:  XF551/SF551/iSF551 status

I should have what I hope are the final versions of these boards in Tuesday from the board manufacture.  I know it's been awhile longer than I thought, but any time you make changes/modernization of parts on a stable design it some times becomes a comedy of errors and missteps and not quite theres.  I discovered after buying a SF314 disk drive from Best Electronics, that there are even more variations of the internal space available for my modified SF551 board.  The drive seemed longer and the control board inside even smaller.  So.... trying to make the redesign as compatible as possible another major revision was needed.  Unfortunately it meant going nearly all SMT.  There are times when I curse Atari and this was one of them.  🤕

While waiting for the redesigned boards to come in I decided to process two more Atari projects for release to PD.  My dalliance with the Supra Microprinter Adapter was turned into an internal pcb that can be installed in a 800XL/130XE.  Not sure what the demand is but it was fun to do.  Also released is the 800XL/130XE Cartridge Guide Extender set.  This was in response to an expressed desire to put the 800XL into a different case and the need to have an external access to the cartridge slot in that case.  I have a version specifically designed for the 1088XLD, but that is currently under contract with The Brewing Academy.  You might be able to get this version to fit, but it will take some definite creativity.   

You can't rush perfection. I'm really looking forward to the release of these boards like many others. Best not to rush to get it right 🙂

1 hour ago, macsonny said:

You can't rush perfection. I'm really looking forward to the release of these boards like many others. Best not to rush to get it right 🙂

Yeah tell me about it. Seems like every project i embark upon requires me to have at least 3 prototypes made before getting it right :mad:

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, macsonny said:

LOL - tell me about it. PCBWay must love me for all my "misfires"!!!!

Absolutely, I agree! Despite the cost, it's usually worth it. I tend to order prototypes in bulk to help cut down on postage expenses.

One thing I often come across is making mistakes with Kicad footprints and occasionally forgetting to double-check pinouts or footprints.

Just recently, I had a situation where I added a TSOP Flash device to a board, only to realise the footprint was to spaced apart for my device. Instead of jigging the board, I simply tweaked the footprint to have longer pads, giving me the flexibility to use both variants when needed.

As a coder once said to me, 'it's not a bug; it's a feature!' 😄

image.thumb.png.46f252535ff7d3972057d82838920b7e.png

That being said, duff pcbs can make great cup coasters 😜

• Like 2

Just an FYI on a project I passed onto iCore64 a few months ago.  He's about to make an announcement soon on the Super SpartaDOS PCB.  I know some people have asked about it's status.  

As far as the XF551 pcbs, a little update too.  I think I'll be releasing the info on the original drop in replacement board for the XF551 5.25 disk drive, this board will require you to scavenge parts from the original board.  Another version will also be released that replaces all but the need for a Intel 8040/8050 CPU, 27C64 Eprom and WD1772PH Drive Controller chips.  You will still need to have the XF551 compatible disk drive and case for both.  That info should be released by the beginning of next week.  I just have to finalize the BOM and Tips pages for the website.  

The 3.5" SF551 version is still a work in progress.  I am trying to finalize a single board that will fit into the Atari SF314 external disk drive shell in all its various versions.  That has turned out to be a bit harder than I thought.  You will need the original power supply and power connector from the pcb, case and drive.

And finally the Slimline drive version designed for internal installation into an Atari 130XE is still being worked on too.

I hope to have the option for track displays and front facing controls for all three.  

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

Just an FYI on a project I passed onto iCore64 a few months ago.  He's about to make an announcement soon on the Super SpartaDOS PCB.  I know some people have asked about it's status.  

As far as the XF551 pcbs, a little update too.  I think I'll be releasing the info on the original drop in replacement board for the XF551 5.25 disk drive, this board will require you to scavenge parts from the original board.  Another version will also be released that replaces all but the need for a Intel 8040/8050 CPU, 27C64 Eprom and WD1772PH Drive Controller chips.  You will still need to have the XF551 compatible disk drive and case for both.  That info should be released by the beginning of next week.  I just have to finalize the BOM and Tips pages for the website.  

The 3.5" SF551 version is still a work in progress.  I am trying to finalize a single board that will fit into the Atari SF314 external disk drive shell in all its various versions.  That has turned out to be a bit harder than I thought.  You will need the original power supply and power connector from the pcb, case and drive.

And finally the Slimline drive version designed for internal installation into an Atari 130XE is still being worked on too.

I hope to have the option for track displays and front facing controls for all three.  

Thanks for the update! I've been hanging out for the XF551 PCBs as have a few more drives to upgrade. Keeping an eye out for the release 🙂

Thanks Dropcheck for not only bringing this to peoples attention but for allowing me to carry on the creation of this wonderful cartridge!

I've been busy tuning my workflow for the SpartaDOS cartridge.  I finished nailing it down today, and tomorrow I start producing them.  My initial run will be 10 boards, however I have parts ordered for 50 more.  I think that should keep people in SpartaDOS's for a while eh!

The PCBs are enig (gold plated) and are constructed using a solder paste stencil printer and a commercial quality reflow oven.  I've also developed a jig to perfectly align the cartridge connector on the end of the PCB, so I guarantee it will be dead straight, centered with absolutely no skew.

For your entertainment, here are some photos of the first board I built using my developed workflow that I'll be using for all future built boards.  The yellow thing is my jig.  And the blue case is an example of how it's installed and what it looks like in the case.  I am contemplating removing the embossed "SpartaDOS X" and replacing it with a vinyl color label.  Community thoughts on that would be welcome.  The case will be an option for those that want something covering the bare board at time of ordering.  It can also be ordered after the fact for people with boards and no case.  The case is compatible with Dropcheck's built boards as well as my builds.

Give me a couple more days, to build and test 10 cartridges, then I'll post here when they'll be up for sale.

COREi64

IMG_2446.thumb.JPG.11a26b44af90595d19512b246fb8cdfe.JPG IMG_2447.thumb.JPG.3616b436b542ab810283b742917cff88.JPG

IMG_2448.thumb.JPG.c15b25a1439e657592375a13b23f6e7c.JPG IMG_2450.thumb.JPG.43152ab16dc221b43e1f42847577192e.JPG

IMG_2451.thumb.JPG.8fb56fb7d4abf513b7c9082beaf8e05c.JPG IMG_2439.thumb.JPG.943c08d8c1e810e80dae64fcf85a3b29.JPG

• Like 6