IGNORED

Classic joystick sold out on Atari.com

jeremiahjt

I noticed on Atari.com that the Classic joystick is listed as sold out. I am pretty sure this is recent. Has Atari really sold through their entire original stock of Classic controllers? If so, are they planning on manufacturing anymore?

It looks like Best Buy still has some, but Gamestop is sold out.

Yeah, it's been interesting. They have had some pretty good sales recently on them, so possible a bunch of orders got done. Have to wonder, though, if there's much of an option to make more. I don't think Power A is really making more; the USB cable they use even is no longer available on the Power A site. 

I love my Classics, but I'd also love to see a v2 of them for sure. A bit stronger build, even if it costs a bit more.

• Like 1

From what i read in the Discord server today from an Atari staff member, the joystick is getting manufactured again and they will have more in stock soon. There wont be a v2 just the original. I've never had an issue with my classic joystick regarding build quality I'm still on the one that came with my backers/collectors edition VCS and its never let me down yet despite being used everyday for over 2 years, i Don't know how people are breaking them. I think a v2 would be good though maybe with a longer battery life.

• Like 2

Shearing at the plastic base is the most common way these are getting destroyed, the bottom of the stick doesn't have much support, with the metal rotating piece at the top of the stick, so using it like an old-school joystick puts a lot of stress on the bottom of the stick. 

I have three, one was destroyed on video while trying to investigate a fix, a second works but also has a base noise issue, and the third is working fine for now. 

I will need to check out the video of this thing breaking lol. Maybe I'm lucky with mine, i certainly don't baby it but i do understand it doesn't feel sturdy or close to the original Atari joysticks from back in the day, its modern so doesn't require more than a light movement of the stick in games so that clicked with me. Maybe if we get a v2 better battery life and a more sturdier build quality would good. I think were lucky Atari are even manufacturing more so I'll take whatever they put out to add to the collection.

1 hour ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I will need to check out the video of this thing breaking lol. Maybe I'm lucky with mine, i certainly don't baby it but i do understand it doesn't feel sturdy or close to the original Atari joysticks from back in the day, its modern so doesn't require more than a light movement of the stick in games so that clicked with me. Maybe if we get a v2 better battery life and a more sturdier build quality would good. I think were lucky Atari are even manufacturing more so I'll take whatever they put out to add to the collection.

In my case it was entirely my fault, I ripped out one of the ribbon connectors trying to remove it from the circuit board. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...