IGNORED

I bought a Lynx ... again

atari2600land

I used to have an Atari Lynx. Then I sold everything. I used to have a complete collection. The one thing I regret selling. Since everything didn't sell, I got stuck with copies of Shanghai and Zarlor Mercenary. For years I'd figure I'd later get an Atari Lynx. Well, the later came. I just bought one on eBay. And I also bought an AC adapter separately. I remember a long time ago, if you plug in the AC adapter into the headphone jack it breaks the console, so I'll try really hard not to do that. My Lynx will be coming from a neighboring state, so hopefully pretty quickly. I plan to use batteries to test it at first. The picture shows it playing Roadblasters, so it SHOULD work. Interesting that it doesn't include the game with the Lynx, but fortunately I have a couple of games to test the console with anyway.

• Like 3

I've had a Lynx since the 90's and never once attempted to plug the power into the headphone jack. In either case, welcome back to the Lynx world! A couple weeks ago I managed to score my first Lynx I off EBay, ended up with a pretty nice made in Japan model so I was happy w/that. 

• Like 1

So the Lynx came in the mail and it works with batteries. However the AC adapter does not work with it. So it's either my Lynx only works with batteries or my AC adapter is a piece of junk. I'll try looking for an official one. Anyway, I'm happy. I have two games: Shanghai and Zarlon Mercenary, both still work from the last time I had a Lynx.

2 hours ago, atari2600land said:

So the Lynx came in the mail and it works with batteries. However the AC adapter does not work with it. So it's either my Lynx only works with batteries or my AC adapter is a piece of junk. I'll try looking for an official one. Anyway, I'm happy. I have two games: Shanghai and Zarlon Mercenary, both still work from the last time I had a Lynx.

I have barely played Zarlor Mercenary, but Shanghai might be my most played Lynx game ever.  It has to be top five or ten all time for all systems.  I do enjoy that game.

• Like 1

I know how you feel. I didn't have anywhere near a complete collection but I always regret selling mine for a pittance. Got a refubished, Mcwill Lynx and my favourite games back though. Shanghai was always too hard for me but since I was able to complete the nightmare that is Batman I may give it another go.

On 6/10/2023 at 7:44 PM, atari2600land said:

Shanghai is too hard. I always have like 80 tiles left when I have no more moves left.

With Shanghai you have to take your time and try to think forward before making a move, like what are the consequences for the other tiles when you make "this" particular move?

Don't just select the visible matching tiles, as you might need one of these further in the game:)

14 minutes ago, Isgoed said:

With Shanghai you have to take your time and try to think forward before making a move, like what are the consequences for the other tiles when you make "this" particular move?

Don't just select the visible matching tiles, as you might need one of these further in the game:)

Yeap basically you have to keep a mental note of how many of a particular pair you have cleared in case there might be more hiding underneath you might not have uncovered yet. Counting tiles so to speak...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I got a new Lynx. All is well with it. I can even press up and have it react accordingly. Time to game on! Later I'll play Pinball Jam!

Welcome back to the 90s =]

Sorry to hear that you gave up on the other one, though maybe one day it'll be useful for diagnostics by comparison, or spare components.

Have some fun!

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2023 at 6:07 PM, atari2600land said:

I got a new Lynx. All is well with it. I can even press up and have it react accordingly. Time to game on! Later I'll play Pinball Jam!

On 6/9/2023 at 11:38 AM, atari2600land said:

I seen a YT video where a Lynx had same problem. If I remember it was an easy fix.

On 6/9/2023 at 1:38 PM, atari2600land said:

So the Lynx came in the mail and it works with batteries. However the AC adapter does not work with it.

Songbird sells a USB Lynx power adapter, which makes it easy to power the Lynx either from a wall outlet or portable power bank. I use mine quite a bit now especially when traveling. 

Obviously if your power jack on the Lynx is bad, this won't fix it...

On 8/7/2023 at 1:39 PM, sirlynxalot said:

Zarlor is my most played lynx game by far. Even more than California games!  Love it. Great graphics, music, gameplay, and length of game.

Yes, and the graphical details in the game are amazing.

This title shows what the Lynx is capable of in almost every aspect.

I can imagine way back when the Lynx was new this must have been a very impressive/next-gen game.