IGNORED

Super Mario Clone being written now

analmux

When you start the level, and the text "falls" off the bottom of the screen, it "falls" a few scan-lines out of NTSC range, and there is a momentary loss of V-HOLD.. (about half a second,) but when the game screen comes up, all is well.

I can confirm this behaviour on my PAL 800XL. Besides that - great work, i look forward for completed game!

Greets,

Beetle

When you start the level, and the text "falls" off the bottom of the screen, it "falls" a few scan-lines out of NTSC range, and there is a momentary loss of V-HOLD.. (about half a second,) but when the game screen comes up, all is well.

I can confirm this behaviour on my PAL 800XL. Besides that - great work, i look forward for completed game!

Greets,

Beetle

It's the known issue, when a hires-line is placed at the last visuable scanline on the screen, GTIA seems to lose the sync when it happens.

This means that the last visuable line (239) is only allowed to show a coloured mode.

To the game-desing....

I really would appreciate, not to make the solve-ability depending on one pixel on the screen, when jumping. In the first level, there is one part, which is heavily & unbalanced harder compared to the rest of the level, causes easily falling into the water.

AWESOME WORK!

I ran it on my 800XL and it works great. When "Mario" gets too high sometimes he fades out...I'm assuming that is the multiplexer fading.

VERY nice work.

I think this is an NTSC issue; since I saw the same thing *under emulation* when running an emulated NTSC machine; it disappeared when I ran it on an emulated PAL.

And, by the way: very cool! :thumbsup: :)

Edited by vdub_bobby

I used my PAL 600xl and it still does it too. I had the same problem in my NTSC 800xl.

Edited by Almost Rice

Hmm,

just a question: In "Crownland" is it possible to jump over the water ?!? I tried it dozens of times but always failed. And I know many other Atarians that failed there too. So is it possible or is this the end of the playable demo ?!? Well, if the jump over the water is possible, then please tell the authors to make that easier - please please, please !!! -Andreas Magenheimer.

Hmm,

just a question: In "Crownland" is it possible to jump over the water ?!? I tried it dozens of times but always failed. And I know many other Atarians that failed there too. So is it possible or is this the end of the playable demo ?!? Well, if the jump over the water is possible, then please tell the authors to make that easier - please please, please !!! -Andreas Magenheimer.

It is possible to jump over the water (though it must be well timed) and to finish the level. With some practise it's actually not that difficult to finish it. There's even a checkpoint in the middle of the level.

Hmm,

Yes, it is possible to jump over the water. Although you have to do pixel perfect jumps. The hardest jump btw is near the end of this demo version. There are two birds and you have to jump onto one of the birds back to get on safe ground.

Anyway, I had to play it quite a lot of times to finish the demo. So I agree with you that the difficulty level is a little bit too high. Nevertheless once you finished the demo you start getting used to it and then you can finish it quite often. :-)

patjomki

ok. just had few minutes playing around... really really good... i am suprised... all nice features well designed... ;)

so... i am assuming:

antic 4 playfield, pm is used for player sprite? + enemies+stars?

water effect done by charset rotation/animation? same as the parallax?

if so... the game use "standard" features... but i havent found the DLI routine f.e. as atari800win shows me that at $0200 the dlist... and $fffc,$d or $fffe,$ffff do not show any vector but havent looked at $0000 to be honest...

or does the game use any "new" technices like anamlux's MCS or pm-underlays?

if so... the game use "standard" features... but i havent found the DLI routine f.e. as atari800win shows me that at $0200 the dlist...

You see correctly. ... all "standard features" and very clever used in combination.

Since the games uses "standard features", I doubt, we will see much more enemies in the future.

But, no point of moaning here. The game already includes much more good features than the other 99% of "platformers" on the A8 ... :cool:

Have a look at the nice presentation of the water-fx :ponder:

Yes, it is possible to jump over the water. Although you have to do pixel perfect jumps. The hardest jump btw is near the end of this demo version. There are two birds and you have to jump onto one of the birds back to get on safe ground.

Anyway, I had to play it quite a lot of times to finish the demo. So I agree with you that the difficulty level is a little bit too high. Nevertheless once you finished the demo you start getting used to it and then you can finish it quite often. :-)

patjomki

Well, actually I consider the first water surface much more difficult to jump over. I never lose any life when jumping over the bird near the end of the level. If this is the first level, the difficulty might be a little bit lower, but still it is not that high to kill the playability.

just tested the preview on my pal 130xe...

as mentioned before i have the same "overscan" glitches when the "mayhem in monsterland"-level text bounces out of the screen... ;)

in emulator i have to press fire to get into the level but on my 130xe it enters automaticly when the text bounces in and out...? could be my autofire enabled on my real competition pro but i dont know...

the colours look not so bright and sharp on real machine... for me its hard to see the stars when they are in front of a background... but this could be my sony tv set and my 130xe as well as the xe shows green sky instead of blue...

just tested the preview on my pal 130xe...

as mentioned before i have the same "overscan" glitches when the "mayhem in monsterland"-level text bounces out of the screen... ;)

in emulator i have to press fire to get into the level but on my 130xe it enters automaticly when the text bounces in and out...? could be my autofire enabled on my real competition pro but i dont know...

the colours look not so bright and sharp on real machine... for me its hard to see the stars when they are in front of a background... but this could be my sony tv set and my 130xe as well as the xe shows green sky instead of blue...

I think the not so well visible stars are done so at a purpose - some of them are quite well hidden and you can easily overlook them :-)

I didn't meet the fire problem in the emulator - just one press and (after the text goes down) the level starts. Perhaps your joystick configuration in the emu is different.

Hello,

yes the *finished* version of Crownland can take part at the ABBUC contest. As long as it has more than one level... ;-)

But, if you want to take part at the contest, this means you must not release your finished work elsewhere, until the ABBUC contest is over. There will be a new ABBUC software contest in 2007 and the next ABBUC meeting will be on the 27th of October 2007 - but I think the deadline for the contest will be the 31st of August 2007, so ABBUC has a chance to release all the programs on its ABBUC magazine before the meeting... I will tell you the results of the ABBUC contest 2006 in a separate post...

Hint: at the ABBUC meeting (21st October 2006 - yesterday) we played Crownland over and over again. And some visitors, as well as ABBUC members, made it thru / over the first water jump. To make it successfully try the following:

1) jump onto the bird and from there jump immediately over the water; requires some timing but can be done (even I made it that way)...

2) you can move your player onto the very end of a platfrom, so that he is standing half in the air; this cannot be used to jump over the water (the player must not stand still to jump over it) - but you can try to do some sort of warm up / speed up on the platform and when your player has reached the very end and is standing almost half in the air, do the jump over the water quickly. This requires even more precised timing, but it works too.

Greetings - Andreas Magenheimer.