IGNORED

Super Mario Clone being written now

analmux

Progress so far:

I have to rewrite both the Wrapped Scrolling engine and the Sprite engine, for they take too much CPU time. It has to be optimized a lot, before I can make a playable version. Maybe there's too much postindexed indirect instructions in the code, too much ASLs etc.

I'm breaking my mind on optimizing now, but in the meantime (coming 3 weeks) I'm very busy on exams on my university.

-----

mux

Edited by analmux

• 2 weeks later...
just a thought... analmux, what if we both made a 7800 version as well??? after the 800port is finished?

just thinking as we do not need any MCS stuff there...

MCS???

I don't use any MCS in this game.

The 7800 version could even have more colorful gfx, though I'm not experienced in programming it. I've been following your actions in the programming section. It'd be nice if you can write a decent scrolling and sprite engine. Then we can port the thing. That would be cool.

Edited by analmux

i have a sprite engine for 16x8x4 sprites from Eric ("ball demo" thanks mate!) it displays approx. up to 256 sprites per frame but "just" 32 sprites per "display Zone" enough for a mario game.

so that's not a problem here... your wrapper concept ("nes like") for scrolling can be applied to 7800 as well as it used very limited ram... so again this should cause no problem...

imho the crucial parts like decompressing level data+movement of sprites & gamelogic can be adapted or even reused from 800 directly... ("mario jumping etc...")

maybe i'll make a small demo with your turbo-basic demo if i understood the handling of the data... as it has to be converted to MARIA ("wife" of Mario ;)).

never underestimate the 7800......

maybe i'll make a small demo with your turbo-basic demo if i understood the handling of the data... as it has to be converted to MARIA ("wife" of Mario ;)).

Please tell me what you want to know about the tbb demo, I'll let you know. The MARIA has the same palette as the GTIA isn't it???

Edited by analmux

and here a tip for the others who want to play around with analmux stuff...

try to enter this into turbo basic xl after running the demo.bat file...

move $6000,dpeek(88),960:poke 756,160

or

gr.12:move $6000,dpeek(88),960:poke 756,160

it will show the 1st screen...if you leave the poke 756 then you'll see the screen in atari system font... and $6000 = page 96 = $60 * 256....

now let's check how to convert the maps into the indirect mode of MARIA...

and here is the 1st prototype hacked together into my last 7800 demo...

the sprites aren't converted yet and the playfield must be edited as well as on atari 800 we have 4 diffenrent colours for chars (excl. background) and on 7800 3 per char... so i have doubled the font to handle the "+128" 5th colour... no DLIs yet for the playflied as on the turbo basic XL demo the screens are flipping (like giana sisters on ST) and not scrolling so i am not sure how it would work with scrolling...

but not bad at all for a quick throughing code together...

post-528-1075668531_thumb.jpg

@ analmux

too late.... just posted right away... ;) pm sprites are not converted yet as i'll use your bitmap and convert it into 7800 bitmap mode so i do not use the pm data anyway...thanks for the picture :)

please forgive me for using yoshi from supermario world and the chicken from zelda... they were just placeholders in my code fragment to check

i'll tested even to put background behind the sprites...to problem at all... background can have different colours than the sprites... 7800 rocks...

but shouldn't we move the programming stuff into "programming" anyway??? instead of here? same with the pokey stuff? or mode9++ or...

@ analmux

too late.... just posted right away... ;)

It's no problem. Cool picture. This demo was neaver meant to have any scrolling. I hope you can easily convert the coloring schemes. On some screens the a800xl shows a lack of coloring. It can be improved on 7800.

but shouldn't we move the programming stuff into "programming" anyway??? instead of here? same with the pokey stuff? or mode9++ or...

Hmm... I just think it has a greater chance to be read in this section, as it's still a8bit related. But if we're gonna go developing this for 7800 too, then it definitely has to go into the 7800 section.

Just out of interest, anyone got a decent register map 'cos i can't find anything about how to get that 32 character wide screen mode! =-)

ah, simple:

in basic:

just poke 559,33 for 32chr mode; poke 559,34 for 40chr mode; poke 559,35 for 48chr mode.

under normal OS operations, address 559 is a shadow register of dmactl (called sdmctl)

in asm:

same values but then:

lda #33/#34/#35

sta $d400 (='dmactl')

Another note:

Note that when the OS vblank routines are active, then you should use the shadow register (sdmctl = 559 = $22f), or you should poke to $d400 from a DLI.

I've got register maps somewhere on my PC, gonna find them for you tonight.

And this is how dmactl works (as far as I remember):

bit 7: unused

bit 6: unused

bit 5: playfield graphics DMA enable

bit 4: PM coarse/fine resolution control

bit 3: PM graphics DMA enable

bit 2: Missile DMA

bit 1: screen width control

bit 0: screen width control

bit 1/bit 0:

00 = no screen

01 = 32chr

10 = 40chr

11 = 48chr

so this should explain the 33 (=2^5 + 2^0 = PF DMA on + 32chr)

• 2 weeks later...
and here is the 1st prototype hacked together into my last 7800 demo...

the sprites aren't converted yet and the playfield must be edited as well as on atari 800 we have 4 diffenrent colours for chars (excl. background) and on 7800 3 per char... so i have doubled the font to handle the "+128" 5th colour... no DLIs yet for the playflied as on the turbo basic XL demo the screens are flipping (like giana sisters on ST) and not scrolling so i am not sure how it would work with scrolling...

but not bad at all for a quick throughing code together...

How's your progress in converting the mario demo?

I hope you understand the working of the tbb program.

Any trouble or questions? Feel free to ask me.