Doom alert!

xrbrevin

• 4 weeks later...

Look at newest version of doom for silly venture :

Changes :

- all screen in gr 10 mode - use 9 colors 

- all sprites like enemies, items is converted from doom's wad 

- new drawing procedures in graphics mode

- use Fox dos for loading levels ( this save a lot of memory ex for better textures)

What is to do:

- viewfinder or weapon on screen

- transparent enemies and alpha channel

- faster sprite drawing 

Have fun

Święty

Adoom.atr

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, Saint (Swiety) said:

Changes :

- all screen in gr 10 mode - use 9 colors 

- all sprites like enemies, items is converted from doom's wad 

- new drawing procedures in graphics mode

- use Fox dos for loading levels ( this save a lot of memory ex for better textures)

What is to do:

- faster sprite drawing 

Have fun

Święty

Adoom.atr 179.64 kB · 2 downloads

Futurama Hail GIFs | Tenor

You are the master!!  Amazing work! 😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Saint (Swiety) said:

What is to do:

- faster sprite drawing 

@Saint (Swiety) For me having an onscreen representation of the weapon on an FPS - and especially in DOOM, is an essential part of the immersion. If there is anyway to get it into this engine then great.

Again Globe's 128k raytracing demo shows how good the weapons can look, and these are even animated:

Sure, I know different engines, graphics modes, memory contraints, etc might limit what is possible in the engine. Still, would be amazing. 

I did some experiments. ADoom runs very well at the settings from this picture. Actually, it runs a bit too well - it's faster but not smoother. Smoothing in presence of higher computing power requires additional ingerention in frame generation... as I presume. The potential is very high. 

20230821_210949.jpg

• Like 2

What a great visual improvement compared to Lost Party version, wow! 

I'd love to see wider, not that narrow corridors and at least a dot for a crosshair for aiming. 

As for the name, is it ADoom now? That's the name of well known Amiga port, A8Doom maybe? ;)

Thanks for astonishing work! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Peri Noid cool. Would be great to see a video. No worries if you aren't able to. 

Hold my beer, as they say ;-) The first half in without Rapidus, the second is the same machine but with Rapidus enabled with the settings from the picture above. There's a lot of potential for smoother animation.

Sorry for the sound not synchronous with the image, it's not my fault - the forum must have broken something.

Edited by Peri Noid
  • Like 3

@Peri Noid wow, impressive pace/framerate there! It's really going some. Just needs tweaking but very impressive. :) Thanks for taking time to do the vid. :)

Edit: btw is ADoom's engine PAL only? If it runs on ntsc as well I wonder what stock PAL vs stock ntsc looks like? I'd expect ntsc to be a little faster. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

8 minutes ago, solo/ng said:

its not really near how it could be on rapidus:) (2-3 faster)

It isn't but turning on Rapidus ROM prevents the game from starting. It just hangs after loading. And enabling fast access to RAM #2 causes the screen corruption and game crash (I tested these).

11 hours ago, Saint (Swiety) said:

- faster sprite drawing 

it's crazy amazing how well it looks, how fluent the game is and how good the gameplay is preserved! I would say the non-transparent enemies are totally fine, and maybe even better in the limited resolution and color space, because the tiny black border makes them better visible on the screen. The game runs really fast now but "faster sprite drawing" indicates that you know how to improve it further 🙂

• Like 5

@Saint (Swiety) Wow, just loaded it up on my Incognito'd 800 via Sio2pc (as CF card being used for something else.) I happend to have my 800 out so wanted to see how it ran off SIO2PC.

Joystick control nice.

Plays very well. Sprite speed great and coloured door jams really stand out. 

Can wait what you do next - it's coming on very nicely. Still can believe we have a very impressive Doom engine in this graphics 10 version. Nice work.;-)

Edited by Beeblebrox

49 minutes ago, patjomki said:

Fantastic improvement. Great work.

I vote for visible weapons - like you already suggested a few postings above. 

Yup, it's the one thing that really ramps up the immersion in an fps, especially Doom. I may have to crack out my jaguar doom and play both doom jag and doom A8 back to back. :)