IGNORED

Montezuma's Revenge - (in VCS Store)

jeremiahjt

Atari announced on Twitter that Montezuma's Revenge will be coming to the VCS. I am sure they are talking about the new version that was recently released, but I hope they could make a deal for the ports from the 1980s. I have no idea if they would need to go through Parker Brothers for those, but the original 8-bit computer port might be unentangled.  I am pretty sure there were two 8-bit computer ports, the original and then the Parker Brothers one. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by justclaws
edited title to show now available
  • Like 4

This is good news (ANY new VCS news is good news!) - especially as I took delivery of my Atari VCS only today. Waited patiently for Atari to release it in the UK - but never happened, so it was Ebay to the rescue and I was lucky enough to find one in mint condition, already here in the UK. I will purchase stuff from the VCS store and try and support the cause as much as possible. Hoping that some cool old Atari 8-bit titles appear. But as I said, any news is good news. Looking forward to Spirit of the Samurai myself. Any ideas of a release date on that one anybody?

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 7/15/2023 at 2:46 PM, bluenomadgaming said:

I love his videos.  That is one reason I have a VCS. That and “I Love”.  

Thank you so much! Just shot some gameplay tonight which is also going up on my channel w/ commentary, take a look tonight ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ballistik said:

Thank you so much! Just shot some gameplay tonight which is also going up on my channel w/ commentary, take a look tonight ;)

Your videos are great BCB, thanks to your videos I bought the Atari VCS because I love the brand, I just returned from a trip and I'm crazy about buying this game and Haunted House but I'm not successful because of the zip code problem. I always bought with my Peruvian postal code. I wonder if the problem is for people like me who live outside the United States (in my case I am from Lima, Peru - South America). Anyway, I feel frustrated by not being able to play the recent titles. Anyway, I hope they solve it as soon as possible.

There appears to be a bug where you die from dropping off of chains where you shouldn't.  The first place this appears is in the chamber with the two blue and two red doors on where you jump down to climb the rope.  Seems to intermittently do it in other places as well.  @davpa, something worth keeping your eye on.

I've now purchased this on 3 different platforms in the last couple of years, and if Robert Jaeger ever gets around to finishing the A8 version as advertised, that'll be a 4th.  Bet I'm not alone.  Not bad for a 40 year-old game 

Another odd thing I have noticed (and sorry I can’t describe the exact locations), but there are one or two masks and at least one gem where, when they are grabbed, the player is kicked out of the game back to the title screen. Luckily there is an auto save feature and also manual backups which makes these occurrences just annoyances rather than game breakers as otherwise, I love this port.

On 10/28/2023 at 2:47 PM, mckafka99 said:

Another odd thing I have noticed (and sorry I can’t describe the exact locations), but there are one or two masks and at least one gem where, when they are grabbed, the player is kicked out of the game back to the title screen.

I just tried playing a game and got booted all the way to the VCS menu when I grabbed the 2nd mask on level 2.

Nice playtesting there, gang.  

Looks like an update has just dropped for the game, hopefully that resolves most issues people are having. I haven't came across any game breaking bugs that's taken me out of the game and back to dashboard but I've found the jumping from platform to platform to be very off at times and its hit or miss if pressing jump register's, half the time i fall and face plant the ground. 

2 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Looks like an update has just dropped for the game, hopefully that resolves most issues people are having. I haven't came across any game breaking bugs that's taken me out of the game and back to dashboard but I've found the jumping from platform to platform to be very off at times and its hit or miss if pressing jump register's, half the time i fall and face plant the ground. 

This is probably because you can really jump laterally from a standstill.  You have to hit the joystick a split second before the button.  This is how the game was originally.  Takes a little getting used to, but I didn't find the controls were any more sluggish than normal here.

Try playing this with a 5200 or a Colecovision controller if you want to real challenge.

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2023 at 6:46 PM, MrTrust said:

Try playing this with a 5200 or a Colecovision controller if you want to real challenge.

Playing most games with those controllers becomes a real challenge!  I've tried playing Dig Dug on the 5200 with the stock controllers, and it makes me swear more at the game than I usually do, which is quite impressive!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, space_dungeon said:

Has anyone bought Montezuma's Revenge for the VCS?  If so, what's your opinion?

I really liked the old 8bit game in the 80s.

Thanks!

Yes I have it.  If you liked the 8-bit version, you should enjoy this version.  You can even change the graphics between new and 8-bit.

• Like 1

It is based off of the original Atari 800 version.  The NES version is a recent homebrew, though I guess that is the basis for the 8-bit graphics on Switch.

I have it on VCS, Android, and Windows.  It is the same game you remember.  The graphics are a little spiffed up and closer to Jaeger's original demo rather than the commercially released version, also little touches like the burning ropesnare included.  Each level has three special mask relics for you to collect, and a little compass that points you toward the nearest one.  I haven't actually played all the way to the end yet, so I don't know if Montezuma appears and is defeatable, but that was in the works at one point.  Other than that, it is the same as the 80s.

There is a "modern" graphics mode, but you will not want to play it that way.  It is ugly looking with none of the charm of the original, and the game just doesn't feel quite right when playing it in this mode, as if they got the distances wrong or something.

Of the versions I have played, the VCS is the least recommendable, frankly. It's buggier than the others and yet somehow more expensive.  However, the classic controller does work on it, which it does not on Windows without a workaround, or at least did not for me.  Android version does work well with the classic, and even the touchscreen controls are playable if you use the split option.

It is a nice version and worth getting if you like the original in whatever version you choose.

• Like 1