IGNORED

Putting new ROM games on my Intellivision Ultimate Flashback

6 hours ago, P. J. Smith said:

It wont transfer using the usb drive method is the whole reason i am having to learn some other way to do it. I cant believe it is this complicated to transfer a 17 kb file. There is no listing for my usb flash drive that i can find on mc or for my rom file. I figured once i got here i could just open my flash drive and copy it and place it in the emulator roms file and i would be good. The other two methods it is showing to transfer roms i cant really seem to wrap my head around. Ugh. I appreciate all your help, truly. Just wish I was a smarter person when it comes to this stuff. 

You can list what devices are mounted ie. mapped to folders, with the "mount" command.  You can list what usb devices are found with the "lsusb" command.  Or you can pull the sdcard as mthompson suggested.

To use some of the other transfer methods you'd have to put your rpi on your network; either by ethernet cable or wifi.  Here's the documentation on configuring wifi.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Wifi/

• Thanks 1

Really, you are making this much harder than it needs to be.

Seemingly you didn't attempt my previous recommendations, so I will reiterate it here (maybe with more details): 

If your Pi has wifi capabilities, then connect it to your wifi and then use WinSCP or Cyberduck to connect to it.

If your Pi doesn't have wifi, or if you don't know if you Pi has wifi capabilities, then connect a wired network cable instead.

in WinSCP (other software will be similar):

image.thumb.png.44cb0056a85b478114b988ba4b29b903.png

Not sure who made your Ultimate, but these are the defaults:

Hostname= retropie (but you can also use the IP address your network assigned to it)

User= pi

Password= raspberry

Navigate to the home -> pi -> RetroPie -> roms -> intellivision folder and then drop your ROM into there.

Close WinSCP

You need to relaunch the emualationstation for the new games to appear the in the games list.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, P. J. Smith said:

Already have the sd card in my computer but now it is asking to format the drive. Not sure i want/need to do that. It does not have wifi capabilities. I will try the cabled way next time. What is WinSCP? As you can tell i am zero computer literate. Thank you very much.

do not format it.

You using Windows or MAC?

1 hour ago, P. J. Smith said:

Windows

Ok, thanks.

2 hours ago, P. J. Smith said:

What is WinSCP? As you can tell i am zero computer literate. Thank you very much.

Let me introduce you to a little company called Google.

They have this website that helps you search for things you don't know about.

In their search for WinSCP will result in the correct answer as their first result

WinSCP :: Official Site :: Free SFTP and FTP client for Windows

Install that and when you have your Pi connected to your network, wifi or wired, then setup the connection like the screenshot i provided and give it a shot.

(don't forget to stick that card back into your Pi)

19 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

when you have your Pi connected to your network, wifi or wired

OK, I just realized that for WIFI, you are going to need to do some additional configuration due to changes in the OS that is running on the Pi.

If you connect a wire, then it will connect immediately.

If you want to use wifi (which is what I recommend due to no wires), then you need to configure the Pi so it knows what country it is in.

In the Retropie gamelist you should see Respi-Config in the list, and then go to 5 Localisation Options > L4 Wi-Fi Country

I assume the unit needs to be on. 

Of course the unit needs to be on.  That's just silly to expect things to work when there is no power.

Passwords arent getting me in

Oops!  I forgot one setting that you need to change one additional setting - silly me.

In the Raspi-Config > 3 Interfacing Options and select P2 SSH

It should prompt you confirming that you want to enable the SSH Server.

No connection is possible without that setting being activated.

I am not sure if you need to reboot for that to take effect.

how do i find my ip address to try that way

You would need to look in your router for that, or read below...

If you don't know how to do that in your router, then that is something I am not going to help with.  I ain't going to fiddle with your router.  This is something that you should learn about since it is your home network.

The hostname should work for the connection, but you need to first enable the SSH Server that I just remembered about.  So make that change and try again.

If your Pi is connected to your network and you press F4 to get to the terminal, then it should be displayed right there for you:

image.thumb.png.7190f70fd5b5ce825a3819002dc3516c.png

But again, the hostname should work

That screen is emulationstation, probably themed differently.  It's possible older retropie doesn't have a retropie section in emulationstation.

You can also run raspi-config from the command line.

sudo raspi-config

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/configuration.html

You're close, you just have to follow through with whatever method you choose.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Transferring-Roms/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, P. J. Smith said:

Never seen this screen, goes right into emulation station. I’m about ready to call it a life on this project, i truly appreciate your help but this is bordering on the ridiculousness at this point, beyond my depth. Thanks again.

Ok, thanks.  

As mentioned by mr_me, you can press F4 and run it from the terminal by typing in sudo raspi-config

You are so close now.

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

That screen is emulationstation, probably themed differently.  It's possible older retropie doesn't have a retropie section in emulationstation.

You can also run raspi-config from the command line.

sudo raspi-config

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/configuration.html

You're close, you just have to follow through with whatever method you choose.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Transferring-Roms/

Byte Knight hides this RetroPie Config gamelist completely, and I tend to hide it on my builds.  On one person's build I hid most of the selections, but I left a couple, such as the WIFI one.

But P. J. Smith mentioned this was not done by Byte Knight and I certainly didn't make this unit.

So I hoped it wasn't hidden - ya never know.  Maybe the person that build this unit used Byte Knight's image :dontknow:

Byte Knight hides it in such a way that it takes some effort to see it again.  But, as we know, we can run them as needed from the terminal.

I found a much easier way to hide it, so it can be displayed again quickly if/when needed.

In Byte Knight's and my builds, we set the country and enable the SSH Server, so connecting to the Pi is as easy as connecting to your network (wired or wifi).

• Thanks 1